Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrading from Model S to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about selling my 2013 S 85 Model S and getting a Model 3 (which I have already reserved and would be able to get in early 2018 according to Tesla's web site). Wanted to run some of my thoughts by the group to see what you guys think.

The math appears to make sense:

- Sell the Model S for around ~45k
- Buy the Model 3 for 49 + 5 (autopilot) + 3 (self-driving) - 7.5 (tax credit) = $50k​

So, for an extra $5k, I get a new car with auto pilot and future self-driving capabilities which is the main thing I miss in my Model S (which is otherwise a phenomenal car). In addition, I think I can get additional savings from:

- Insurance: I assume insurance on the 3 is going to be cheaper than insurance on the S
- Maintenance: The model 3 will come with a warranty and the warranty on my S has expired, so any repairs are at my own cost.​

Perhaps a bit of a stretch but I think one could say I almost break even on the transaction. If you see any errors in my logic, please comment.

The other thing I'm thinking about is what features in my S will I miss on the 3. Here are my thoughts:

Things I will not have and will miss for sure:

- Power trunk liftgate: I have got used to it and will miss it​

Things I will not have but will not miss:

- Rear facing seats: I got these and we have only used them a few times because of ventilation issues, etc
- Size: I don't need a big car
- Free supercharging: I don't supercharge very often, I think Tesla overhypes the value of this benefit​

Things I don't know yet. Does anybody know?

- Air Suspension: Does the premium 3 have this? I know some early test vehicles had it. Will I miss it?
- Parking sensors: Does the 3 have them?
- Folding mirrors: Does the 3 have them?
- Homelink and automatic garage door opening: Does the 3 have this?
- Summon: Is this feature supported on the 3?
- Streaming etc: Does the media system on the 3 have the same features, and is LTE usage for media still free?
What am I missing? Thoughts/comments/info welcome.

I think if you are looking at the 3 with the PUP, it will come with several of those things. You may lose an opening sunroof if you have a pano now, and XM radio has not been mentioned if that is a thing. You lose a key fob which may be OK or terrible depending on Tesla's implementation.

You will gain adjustable seat belts, door pockets, a center console if you hadn't added one, a rear console if you hadn't added one, etc. I think there might even be vanity mirror lights!

We saw a screenshot from an unknown source that mentioned homelink and that data streaming would be free for 2 years.

I was going to buy a 3, then was underwhelmed by the reveal, so I was thinking of cancelling. Then I read the motortrend review and now I am going to wait for the PxxD model. If the car is that fun to drive without the P and D performance, imagine how much fun it will be with those items! So, I figure I will trade in my 2013 in 2019, which is when I am guessing P models will show up (if they don't come out when the D does).

Reactions: CalBlue 85D

- Air Suspension: Does the premium 3 have this? I know some early test vehicles had it. Will I miss it?
- Streaming etc: Does the media system on the 3 have the same features, and is LTE usage for media still free?

Air suspension - no reliable info out yet
Parking sensors - yes, see Motor Trend pics
Folding mirrors - it's in the Premium package
Homelink - no reliable info out yet; I want this too
Summon - likely as it has all the sensors
Streaming - no reliable info out yet

The screenshot we saw is likely fake.​

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
Take a test drive before you decide to downsize. Check out the touchscreen controls at a Tesla Store. Listen to the FM/Internet radio. Load up the trunk and frunk with items you need to carry. Now you can make a better choice.of what Tesla is most enjoyable for you and your passengers.

Air suspension - no reliable info out yet
Parking sensors - yes, see Motor Trend pics
Folding mirrors - it's in the Premium package
Homelink - no reliable info out yet; I want this too
Summon - likely as it has all the sensors
Streaming - no reliable info out yet

The screenshot we saw is likely fake.​

Tesla and Musk have gone to lengths to point out that air suspension will not be available on the 3. It's one of their distinctions between classes - now all Ss will come with it standard, and it will not be available at all for 3s.

Given no fob, how does one open the model 3 trunk?

Also, does the trunk 'pop up' to full open on its own when unlocked or does one have to reach down and pull it up? A 'pop-up' function would mitigate the need for the power lift that I love on my Model S.

Tesla and Musk have gone to lengths to point out that air suspension will not be available on the 3. It's one of their distinctions between classes - now all Ss will come with it standard, and it will not be available at all for 3s.

Elon has had mixed communication on air suspension for the 3

Screenshot_20170802-095949.png

Given no fob, how does one open the model 3 trunk?

Also, does the trunk 'pop up' to full open on its own when unlocked or does one have to reach down and pull it up? A 'pop-up' function would mitigate the need for the power lift that I love on my Model S.
No one knows these answers yet. It's been a while since I had a car with a trunk versus a hatch, but I would think it would not pop open to full height on its own. However, the trunk has pneumatic struts so probably just give the trunk slight nudge until the struts can overcome the trunk weight and then should open to its full height.

Keep in mind, it is a trunk lid not a hatch. It is probably one third of the weight that the S hatch is. The trunk lid is much smaller and just metal, not combination of metal and glass like a hatch. Yes, there will be no power lift, but see no need for it.

It's an interesting sort of hybrid between a trunk and a hatch. I really like it:

The thing must weigh almost nothing, the way they designed it, yet it still opens as high as a hatchback - very clever. Pneumatic struts hold it open like a hatchback (and may well pop it on their own when the latch opens?), but without having to hold up a big piece of glass the whole mechanism is probably super light. Looks like they solved one of the problems that had vexed Aptera - they ended up having its hatck open to its left side like a door (somewhat inconvenient) in order to not have to have a heavy support mechanism, because the door was so heavy due to the rear windshield.

Tesla has some good engineers. Heck, I know some of the Aptera people ended up getting Tesla job offers after the company shut down.

While it's clearly superior to a conventional trunk, it does lose a bit vs. a conventional hatchback in that the rear windshield juts out a bit in your way when you're reaching all the way to the back of the trunk. But that weight savings means better acceleration, faster charging, and a smaller / cheaper battery for a given range. Good job, guys.

Last edited:
That's pretty old. All of the recent communication has been clear that there will be none. Including the standardization of the S line so that all models get it. All of their graphics on S/3 differences also make it clear:

Compare Model S and Model 3 | Tesla

Understood that very recently (last couple of months) the message has changed. But up until then it was not at all clear the 3 wouldn't have air suspension. So it makes sense that people still think it might. They also said it would have a sunroof and we saw pics of a white interior at the first reveal, so there may (will) be options yet to come.

Thinking about selling my 2013 S 85 Model S and getting a Model 3 (which I have already reserved and would be able to get in early 2018 according to Tesla's web site). Wanted to run some of my thoughts by the group to see what you guys think.

The math appears to make sense:

- Sell the Model S for around ~45k
- Buy the Model 3 for 49 + 5 (autopilot) + 3 (self-driving) - 7.5 (tax credit) = $50k​

So, for an extra $5k, I get a new car with auto pilot and future self-driving capabilities which is the main thing I miss in my Model S (which is otherwise a phenomenal car). In addition, I think I can get additional savings from:

- Insurance: I assume insurance on the 3 is going to be cheaper than insurance on the S
- Maintenance: The model 3 will come with a warranty and the warranty on my S has expired, so any repairs are at my own cost.​

Perhaps a bit of a stretch but I think one could say I almost break even on the transaction. If you see any errors in my logic, please comment.

The other thing I'm thinking about is what features in my S will I miss on the 3. Here are my thoughts:

Things I will not have and will miss for sure:

- Power trunk liftgate: I have got used to it and will miss it​

Things I will not have but will not miss:

- Rear facing seats: I got these and we have only used them a few times because of ventilation issues, etc
- Size: I don't need a big car
- Free supercharging: I don't supercharge very often, I think Tesla overhypes the value of this benefit​

What am I missing? Thoughts/comments/info welcome.

I went though the same though process and went with the opposite conclusion. I decided to keep the S. I cancelled my 3 reservation after my wife refused to get rid of her SUV.

I think owning an S out of warranty is scary, I may revaluate when that happens.

Reactions: davidc18
I believe Elon has mentioned a moonroof before... as an "eventually" thing. I'm sure there's lots of stuff that will come out eventually.

Not the HEPA filter though. I believe that will stay a S/X thing. It sucks, cuz even my minivan has an in cabin filter, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. I don't think my Lexus has one and I really don't notice.

I believe Elon has mentioned a moonroof before... as an "eventually" thing. I'm sure there's lots of stuff that will come out eventually.

Not the HEPA filter though. I believe that will stay a S/X thing. It sucks, cuz even my minivan has an in cabin filter, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. I don't think my Lexus has one and I really don't notice.

I think in time the HEBA will be offered since it will be very important to the China market with their air pollution problem

Reactions: gambit48
Will keep the X75D for the family and will trade my S90D refresh (AP1) for 2 model 3 - one for me and one for my oldest. Yes S has few more bells but all things considered I will get a very good car that will satisfy my needs just fine. And AP2. And 2x full tax credit one last time ;-)