Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrading from Model S to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had an S without AP or with AP1, I would do the same and exchange it for an AP2 model 3 with PUP.

Things I would probably miss a bit would be the power liftgate and the opening sunroof. I think it is a failure of Tesla not to provide these things as an option for model 3. Other premium brands offer such options. May be the bigger trunk and the smaller trunk opening could be a drawback in comparison to an S, depending on the usage of the car. Apart from this, model 3 seems superior to me than model S in a lot of areas. My expectation is that once model 3 is widely available, model s resale value will dive and probably you will not get the 40k you're expecting in your calculation.

Apart from this, model 3 seems superior to me than model S in a lot of areas. My expectation is that once model 3 is widely available, model s resale value will dive and probably you will not get the 40k you're expecting in your calculation.
And you wonder why Tesla does not offer all the luxury and convenience features of the S in the 3? They have good reasons not to. Makes sense to me.

Is "downgrading" the right word when comparing a 3 to a pre-AP S?
It depends what one values most. We bought our "classic" Model S as a family car and we use it on trips. Downsizing to a Model 3 would mean we'd be more cramped while traveling. Having enough space for the whole family and for our gear is more important than AP.

That said, we still intend to acquire a Model 3 with AP for other uses.

Air suspension - no reliable info out yet
Parking sensors - yes, see Motor Trend pics
Folding mirrors - it's in the Premium package
Homelink - no reliable info out yet; I want this too
Summon - likely as it has all the sensors
Streaming - no reliable info out yet

The screenshot we saw is likely fake.​

Guys, if it has summon it has homelink (or some version of it). How will it self park without it?

I'm going from a Model S, to a 4 series BMW, to a Model 3. I really hope the PUP makes the Model 3 close to the interior features and quality of the BMW, with the performance of the S60. I wish it were a hatchback, but if necessary I can get a roof rack. Can't justify the price of a new Model S again, and won't finance a used car.

Given no fob, how does one open the model 3 trunk?

This is a really good question! With no interior buttons, does that mean no manual trunk latch in the cabin, other than on the screen? I cannot imagine that our choices for opening the trunk would be to either open the app on our phone or start the car in order to access the screen.

My guess: Just as the car senses your phone to unlock the door, there will be something similar to open the trunk.

Don't do it!

If you do, don't pay for FSD. The odds you'll see it are slim, with the current hardware. I'm assuming FSD is important to you. If so, wait at least another year to see what happens. It is clear Tesla is struggling to duplicate MobilEye's expertise. Leadership has changed. Progress is slow. One year from now we'll have a much better idea if Tesla can actually make a FSD car, and what hardware they'll need to do it.

Reactions: KarenRei and Swift
But do you need to have your phone with you for the trunk to unlock?

I would presume phone with app on person or keycard to B pillar since those are the two described methods for unlocking the car.

I asked the question here, and the answer is that the key card will open the car, so will probably unlock the trunk as well. So either that, or approaching the car with the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I think in time the HEBA will be offered since it will be very important to the China market with their air pollution problem
I am convinced that HEPA will be available early next year, about the time that AWD shows up, perhaps with the performance option. I wager they'll have option groupings just as they do now with S and X. The fewer groupings there are, the easier production becomes and the lower the production cost. Price I haven't a serious clue but I'm sure we'll pay for all the options, as we should. (Of course I am a shareholder!):D

So let's hypothetically add 5,000 EUR for D, 3,500 EUR for Air and 1,500 EUR for HEPA, here in Europe. So 70k EUR. Then compare to a S100D which is currently @ 127k EUR (similarly loaded, non-P)...

Other than luggage space, of which MS offers way more than M3, there are arguments pro MS (perhaps still more comfortable, free Supercharging, etc.) and arguments pro M3 (newer technology, more miles per kWh, etc.).

So I'm having the same dilemma: would I pay 57k EUR extra for basically only the pleasure of having a larger car (even too large in some instances, in medieval European city centers :)) or should I trade in my current AP1 S85D for an AP2.5 M3LR-D with SAS... ? (whenever that will be available in Europe)? First world problems are so hard...

Can't we all just agree that M3 > MS? Your MS warranty is up anyways and by now you've probably realized the MS is larger than it needs to be.
Also what's all the fuss with air suspension? More likely to fail and more expensive to replace when it does.