Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2018 model s. The led headlights on it are terrible. ive had them replaced 3 times under warrant and the are still having problem. Teslas asking price for replacements is $3,298 and I didn’t want to pay for headlights that are going to fail again. I want to put in the pre facelift hid headlight. my only issue is that the car controls its current headlights with Using LIN, is there any way to read or conver it to just the basic 12v signals?

I will post updates on my project once I start.

Solution
Project has been called off😔. Since I share the car with my mom she doesn’t want me to mess with anything because it’s the only car we have😔.
im sorry.
Sad to hear 2018 S lights are still bad. I had a 2016 and the terrible headlights were one of the reasons from my list for which I gave up and sold the car. It was light driving with a couple disco balls on the nose, very very poor design and the price they want for replacements is properly insane.

Good luck with your project, the HIDs should work much better if you manage to retrofit.

Reactions: AndrewApple12
Upvote 0
Any tips for what to throw in the search box on here or google?
"Tesla HID retrofit"

FYI: I think this site has some great reviews on HID Bulbs:

Upvote 0
"Tesla HID retrofit"

This isn't the same thing that OP is asking. He's asking about replacing his facelift LED headlights with HID units from earlier years but it's not exactly plug and play.

OP I'd reach out to the folks who figured out how to 'upgrade' the LED headlights on the older models for people doing a 'refresh upgrade'. I'm sure its a similar process to go from LED to HID pin outs.

Upvote 0
I currently own a 2018 model s. The led headlights on it are terrible...
Thank you everyone for your support and help. I have decided I am going to take the main control board out of the current headlights and connect it the the 1st gen headlights or swap the boards entirely. I will be ordering the headlights soon and will be posting a video on youtube this Wednesday.
channel: AndrewApple12 tech

Reactions: croman
Upvote 0
OP I'd reach out to the folks who figured out how to 'upgrade' the LED headlights on the older models for people doing a 'refresh upgrade'. I'm sure its a similar process to go from LED to HID pin outs.
good idea! I think I figured out something that should work and looks oem. But if it doesn’t work then I’ll definitely reach out to someone, I was thinking electrified garage.

Upvote 0
"Tesla HID retrofit"

Not exactly what im trying to do but thanks for the help. Will definitely check out the bulbfacts website though!

Upvote 0
This isn't the same thing that OP is asking. He's asking about replacing his facelift LED headlights with HID units from earlier years but it's not exactly plug and play.

Oops, I had pasted the wrong link from my clipboard. 😣
I meant this one: Want new HID headlights

Nothing specifically helpful but that person had the same question and a few people chimed in. Maybe a direct PM to some of the people in that thread can get more answers about what they found out.

Bonus: Here is another thread on this forum of people talking about the aftermarket HID bulbs:

Upvote 0
Am I the only person that likes the headlights (Refresh S)? They seem fine. They light up the road in front of me, give me more on the sides when I turn, and won't blind other drivers.

The only problem is with the lack of stalks I can't switch the high beams manually, and the auto high beams are atrocious.

Upvote 0