Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrading to an S model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering maybe moving my confirmed order of a 5 seater X 75D to a S given the following observations I have gathered in these forums:

First let me say that my first sighting of a model X was yesterday at a supercharger but did not get to check it out.

-The 5 seater X 75D delivery is probably end of the year at best!

- The middle row does not fold down (does on model S?); many people are mentioning there is more room in the S.

-X and S seem to have the same ground clearance. I assumed that the X was more of an SUV but that does not seem to be the case. I did order SAS but the S can have that too. I have quite a lot of use to get stuff from hardware stores into the back of the car and I end up folding middle row seats all the time.

Am I missing something?

Yes, middle row folds down on Model S (really?). Nope, your not missing anything. Discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Just use the search function and try not to start new threads where thousands of replies to this have already been discussed.

Ground clearance? What does that have to do with interior space. Model X has 5 different levels with Air Suspension. Model X has space under the seats that Model S doesn't. Model X 6 seat version is best because long things can pass through to front easier, even a mountain bike. Model X currently does not allow the middle seat to go as far forward as side seats (maybe later with a software upgrade). Model X is "higher" inside and can fit larger luggage in the back if upright. Model X has Falcon Wing Doors, Giant Windshield and is more "comfortable" than Model S. Model X is made as a People mover not so much for "Stuff". Model X can pull a trailer or even a little$100 rack via the tow package and you can fit extra stuff on that instead of inside.

Model S can fold seats and can fit 2 Twin XL beds with front seats forward and close the lid (I did it).

Please do yourself a favor and go look at both cars and compare yourself before you make your decision. Here is what you really need, a side by side comparison of sorts.

OP please do check out the X in person in the showroom. They let you play around with the seat arrangements and configuration. Test drive it and then you will have enough information to make your decision. I for one went the other way round to ordering the X.

Thanks will do go to showroom ...they did not have any X at the time I was ordering and the first one just came in on Saturday so let's hope it's not a customer delivery.

Ground clearance had to do with me living on a farm and not scrapping the bottom.

My impressions were similar from visiting a showroom - people mover rather than a stuff mover. Not to mention how exactly does one car camp/sleep in the back of an X?

Relative to a Model S, I find myself not convinced that the value is there in the X, aside from the coolness factor betwixt and between the windshield, FW doors, and auto-opening front doors. I'm disappointed to say that as it was a seeminglly logical upgrade from the S if one wanted more space.

I'll have to go back to a showroom sometime and discern exactly how much linear space is available in the back of an X. While I haven't yet done it, I know that if I wanted to, I can stretch out in the back of the S and zzz - at 6'1" and having not missed many meals Seems like a no-brainer to be able to do that in an SUV.

Reactions: newtman
I have both. IMO, if you are only going to have 1 Tesla now, the X is a much better value than the S. Much more space, falcon doors, bragging rights. All for only $5000 more than a similarly equipped S.

If range is important, the Model S 75D gets about the same range as the Model X 90D which saves you 10k unless you need even more range in which case the model S would be your only choice. Having lots of melting snow, mud and ruts where I live, I am only considering the Model X because of its better clearance and more functional people moving aspects.

I have both. IMO, if you are only going to have 1 Tesla now, the X is a much better value than the S. Much more space, falcon doors, bragging rights. All for only $5000 more than a similarly equipped S.
For some strange reason I am pricing a 75D S model with AP/Leather/SAS and it is only $500 less than the X 75D I ordered with all same options.
I guess I got in before they raised the X 75D by $3000.

My X is at the Service Center to have the 3rd row upgraded. The S loaner they gave me today is beautiful and the instant torque is just as addicting even without the Insane mode, but I want my X back as soon as possible. Getting into that low seat of the S is killing my back already and it's just been less than a day. The FW doors on the X are amazing and I really miss the auto-open and close of the driver door. Everyone loves the seats in the X and people keep feeling the material (ultra-white) and telling me it is the most beautiful softest leather they have ever felt :) I hate to tell them it is vegan. Yes the 2nd row seats don't fold, but I got the tow option in case I ever need to carry something bigger than what the large back space can handle. And the panoramic windshield is wonderful to look out of. The X isn't perfect, but damn it is close and I miss it. In a week I'll be in Germany for a week and I am already dreading having to drive some crappy Mercedes or other old fashioned car. Either way (S or X) you are getting the best vehicle available now. You just have to decide what is most important to you.
It's not a car, it's a Tesla! :)