Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrading wheels on performance upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey
I'm interested in replacing my 21" uberterbs since I don't fancy paying $1k every year to replace the back tires. Any issues with the lowered suspension and bigger (?) brakes on the model Y performance? I just want the smaller black wheels that are not staggered so i can get cheaper tires, can rotate them, and likely better ride quality too. Any guidance on this process would be awesome.
Thanks

I bought take off 19" Geminis with stock tires for $1750 (last year 2020 price) and powder-coated the wheels satin black ($400 in Santa Ana last year).

That route is plug and play. Even with powder-coating, my guy in Santa Ana mounts/rebalanced the wheels/tires then.

Works for me - less jarring ride and decent kWh/mile consumption.
20210807_153800_resized.jpg

I got a set of 19” Tsportline TST wheels with winter tires mounted. They fit well and ride quality seems to be a smidge better. Initially when the temperature was around 45F I was observing better efficiency (around 250 Wh/Mi compared to around 280 Wh/Mi in the Ubers), but as the temperature came down it’s getting back to 280 Wh/Mi or higher now.

I also bought Gemini wheels from a local seller. I'm using them as my winter set up and will switch back to Uberturbines during the summer. No problem putting them on a MYP

Attachments

• PXL_20211113_202939300.jpg
    PXL_20211113_202939300.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 176
  • PXL_20211113_205909019.jpg
    PXL_20211113_205909019.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 195
269 Wh/mile average for 14.5K miles, mostly freeway driving.

I think 21" Überturbines with stock tires was at about 300 Wh/mile AFAIK.

I am waiting on Rimetrix cover to put on my other LR Model Y stock Geminis to get the black-out look, and maybe even better Wh/mile.

View attachment 737258
Does the speed register correctly with the smaller wheels? Or does the larger side walls compensate for it?

Reactions: na5m
I bought take off 19" Geminis with stock tires for $1750 (last year 2020 price) and powder-coated the wheels satin black ($400 in Santa Ana last year).

That route is plug and play. Even with powder-coating, my guy in Santa Ana mounts/rebalanced the wheels/tires then.

Works for me - less jarring ride and decent kWh/mile consumption.View attachment 737179
Could you share who you used in Santa Ana to powder coat ? Thanks!

Reactions: RoBoRaT
269 Wh/mile average for 14.5K miles, mostly freeway driving.

I think 21" Überturbines with stock tires was at about 300 Wh/mile AFAIK.

I am waiting on Rimetrix cover to put on my other LR Model Y stock Geminis to get the black-out look, and maybe even better Wh/mile.

View attachment 737258
This Wh/mi is only useful if we have a point of comparison. What were you getting before changing the tires?

As I posted, it was average 300 Wh/mile on 21" Uberturbines with stock Perelli PZero tires vs 269 Wh/mile on 19" Geminis with stock Continental ProContact tires.

I have not changed tires on the stock 21" Uberturbines or stock 19" Gemini wheels.