Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downhill Run -- Always Fun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Headed from the So Cal lowlands up to hike in Angeles National Monument yesterday.

En route to the Dawson Saddle trailhead at 7900 feet, the burn rate was scary: about 600 Wh/mi ... 145 range miles used, leaving 122 for the trip home.

Fortunately, previous trips had already taught me the punch line from this gag. Energy use on the first fifty-five return miles: Zero. (2 range miles lost to AC, etc.)

Even after twenty additional miles of regular driving, Remote S gave me an estimated range of 432 miles when I charged.

Still wondering how many miles Maui Teslans have picked up on the downhill run from the summit of Haleakala ...

Yep! If there ever was any doubt that the laws of physics really do work, that should settle things once and for all.

Not quite so dramatic, I took my Roadster up the mountain earlier this year. 1,200' elevation up to 5,200' in 38 highway miles took 62 miles of range. The return trip took 16. Net 2 miles different from predicted dead-flat travel, better than I expected since this was mostly at freeway speeds.

Headed from the So Cal lowlands up to hike in Angeles National Monument yesterday.

En route to the Dawson Saddle trailhead at 7900 feet, the burn rate was scary: about 600 Wh/mi ... 145 range miles used, leaving 122 for the trip home.

Fortunately, previous trips had already taught me the punch line from this gag. Energy use on the first fifty-five return miles: Zero. (2 range miles lost to AC, etc.)

Even after twenty additional miles of regular driving, Remote S gave me an estimated range of 432 miles when I charged.

Still wondering how many miles Maui Teslans have picked up on the downhill run from the summit of Haleakala ...
There was a thread on this a while back. I believe the guy got over 32 miles back.

You can get some fun charts up and down the mountains:
IMG_0775.jpg

Reactions: gabeincal