Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downloading 4.4 Brodered my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Al Sherman

It's about THIS car.
Nov 29, 2012
Batesville, IN
I guess it's my turn in the barrel.

I was running errands and I got the update notification. We don't get 3G at home and it's a beautiful Spring day so I decided to go to the park and park. 4.3 took about 20 minutes. So, after over 2 hours I called roadside to confirm I was really getting the update. The tech guys confirmed that my 12 volt was dead.

Door handles presented, and lights flashed but that's about it. I'm home now waiting for a call from the truck driver who is going to take it to Columbus. He estimates pickup at about 6PM EST so it'll be in Columbus by about 8PM. They emailed me to let me know that they know it's coming and are waiting for it.

Questions? Answers? I'll update as soon as I know anything at all.

In the meantime: I definitely get my "first adopter" pin!:smile:

Yeah, Tesla should make it required for the car to be plugged in for updates to apply except in special circumstances.
Jeez, even my iPhone won't let me do that. Does sounds like maybe your 12V was on the edge though.

I thought it said on the console that it was required to be plugged-in in order to update the software. Either that or it said they highly recommend it before starting. In either case, like Broder, you didn't follow the directions :p

I thought it said on the console that it was required to be plugged-in in order to update the software. Either that or it said they highly recommend it before starting. In either case, like Broder, you didn't follow the directions :p

Not sure where you're getting that. My screen just says an update is available. When do you want it? I said "Install now." I've never seen anything about the car being plugged in.

It does seem as though if the 12 volt isn't capable of doing a two hour update, then the car being plugged in should be important. I've just never seen anything like that on the screen or on the forum. Where are you getting that?

No, it tells you the car can't be charged while updating.
I could see updates affecting how the inner workings of the charger system works requiring that the charger not be active during update. But that is pure speculation.
The vampire load is putting a lot of stress on the 12v batteries. I really hope they can get that issue resolved.

So should the screen read, "Please plug in and Install Now"

or after hitting the button a popup reading, "We recommend being plugged in" ?

PS
The definition of Brodering has gone off the rails!

Hey Al Sherman,

Since your car is completely disabled, be sure to ask the tow driver in advance if they're bring "GoJacks" or similar for the rear axle wheels. They'll be needed since the parking brake can not be released.

I'm going through the same thing, had 4.4, next day 12V battery dead. I didn't think they are related.

David

Hey Al Sherman,

Since your car is completely disabled, be sure to ask the tow driver in advance if they're bring "GoJacks" or similar for the rear axle wheels. They'll be needed since the parking brake can not be released.

I'm going through the same thing, had 4.4, next day 12V battery dead. I didn't think they are related.

David

Thanks David. Dave H. just called from Columbus SC. He said they'd need "dollies." I guess that's what you're talking about. I called the towing company and they don't have them so I'm waiting for a call back from roadside.

As a slight update; Dave feels confident that it's just a bad 12 volt. Not necessarily a coincidence since a "good" 12 volt should be able to handle the update without going dead. Just want to make sure folks don't think 4.4 had anything to do with it since the update apparently never completed.

I updated to 4.4 earlier this morning, and all it said was that I had to be in park. Nothing about charging or not charging. I since have moved the car without problem.

Shortly after I started the update, I returned to the garage and the headlights were on. WTF? I stupidly stood there for a minute, and they turned off. Like a VW Herbie?

I guess it's my turn in the barrel.

I was running errands and I got the update notification. We don't get 3G at home and it's a beautiful Spring day so I decided to go to the park and park. 4.3 took about 20 minutes. So, after over 2 hours I called roadside to confirm I was really getting the update. The tech guys confirmed that my 12 volt was dead.

Door handles presented, and lights flashed but that's about it. I'm home now waiting for a call from the truck driver who is going to take it to Columbus. He estimates pickup at about 6PM EST so it'll be in Columbus by about 8PM. They emailed me to let me know that they know it's coming and are waiting for it.

Questions? Answers? I'll update as soon as I know anything at all.

In the meantime: I definitely get my "first adopter" pin!:smile:

These kinds of things really shouldn't be happening. Makes me wonder about the sufficiency of the testing and quality control regarding the updates. It's a loser for Tesla and for us.

i do think the 12v is too small, but i really don't think that's related to these issues. the 12v can power the electronics long enough to update with no issue. i've updated while in an outdoor parking lot twice, no shore power. it's no problem. the update instructions make no mention of being plugged in as far as i remember either. it's not, and should not be, necessary.

this 12v battery issue is insane. this should be a recall situation really. how many have to go bad before they decide it's a widespread issue?

that said, however, i should say that for the last two weeks i've had a meter on my battery at the utility socket next to the usbs in the cabin (not fulltime, but once each time i get in the car), and i've seen 14+ vdc when charging, and around 13.5/6 when driving. never, never, have i seen it below 13v. even after not charging overnight and essentially going two full days with driving and vampire load while parked, still above 13vdc. fwiw.

The car doesn't have to be charging I think but makes sense to have a full standard charge before an update. If something happens, have more time to get issue addressed before vampire drain becomes a problem.

These kinds of things really shouldn't be happening. Makes me wonder about the sufficiency of the testing and quality control regarding the updates. It's a loser for Tesla and for us.

Artsci, I have to disagree with you on this. It's way too premature to insinuate that testing and quality control of the updates is a factor. No indication whatsoever that his issue with the 12V had anything to do with the update. More likely than not it was circumstantial. Many others have updated without this problem occurring. Perhaps we shall see if others report a similar problem before considering this an update-related software issue...