Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downloading 4.4 Brodered my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I tried to update to 4.4 this morning, it took approx. 20 min. I got the light on/off etc as usual. The unsual part comes when the update finish. I got a message on the display. This panel stated that the update didn't succeed and I will receive another notification later.
Now i'm a little bit affraid doing it now.

It's possible that the update process causes the DC/DC circuit that converts pack voltage to charge the 12V battery to be switched off during the update in some cases. If that happens then the small 12V battery may not have enough capacity to survive the update.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your trouble, Al. I did the update earlier this evening with no trouble. I suspect coincidence in your case (obviously just a guess).

- - - Updated - - -

Shortly after I started the update, I returned to the garage and the headlights were on. WTF? I stupidly stood there for a minute, and they turned off. Like a VW Herbie?

Mine did that, too--I think (from someone else's comment) that's normal. But it is kinda weird/confusing. My other updates were late at night and I wasn't watching the car; this time I just happened to go outside shortly after starting, like you.

- - - Updated - - -

As a slight update; Dave feels confident that it's just a bad 12 volt. Not necessarily a coincidence since a "good" 12 volt should be able to handle the update without going dead. Just want to make sure folks don't think 4.4 had anything to do with it since the update apparently never completed.

Whoops, missed this. Thanks for the follow-up! ;-)

Really 12V issues seem to be striking everyone, eventually. Definitely getting a volt meter and gonna have to check it daily, if not more often.
Not everyone every where. I haven't had any issues with the car, "Knock on Wood" and have over 4,000 miles on him. Then the "Recall Comment" Really? So much drama. Sorry to hear about this Al, and yes you now can proudly wear your early adopter pin.

Really 12V issues seem to be striking everyone, eventually. Definitely getting a volt meter and gonna have to check it daily, if not more often.

Just got my volt meter today in the mail. Tested it on my SUV, since I haven't picked up my Tesla from the sound installer yet. Works reliably, tested against the onboard voltmeter of the SUV. Now I will be watching the 12V battery like a hungry hawk.

I tried to do my update, but it said that the 12V battery was too low to do the update. I talked to Tesla and they are going to come out next week to replace my battery; in the meantime they said to postpone the update.

Not everyone every where. I haven't had any issues with the car, "Knock on Wood" and have over 4,000 miles on him. Then the "Recall Comment" Really? So much drama. Sorry to hear about this Al, and yes you now can proudly wear your early adopter pin.
OK, I know it's not 'everyone', but you know its a quite a high percentage of the people on the forum. It may not exactly representative of the overall population, but I bet it's not dissimilar in the types of issues people are seeing. I wasnt the one asking for a recall. But I will say its concerning.

Just got my volt meter today in the mail. Tested it on my SUV, since I haven't picked up my Tesla from the sound installer yet. Works reliably, tested against the onboard voltmeter of the SUV. Now I will be watching the 12V battery like a hungry hawk.
That people feel the need to get a Voltmeter speaks to the commonality and the consequences of the issues. I mean, I dont even have the car yet, but I did order one on Amazon today, so I can have it when my car arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

On some cars the DC-DC firmware needs to be updated as it does not charge the 12v battery under certain conditions. This may also be an issue.

Someone mentioned (I believe) there is actually a Service Bulletin for this in another thread. Is this on the Tesla site or elsewhere officially?

I tried to do my update, but it said that the 12V battery was too low to do the update. I talked to Tesla and they are going to come out next week to replace my battery; in the meantime they said to postpone the update.

This same thing happened to me with the 4.3 update. Curious as to why Al was not given this message? Tesla service came over to our house and replaced the 12V and everything has been fine. Never lost use of the car. I watched them change the 12V. It is buried in the passenger side of the frunk and underneath the cabin air intake and is really not user-replaceable. Took the tech about an hour to complete the job. Maybe there should be a voltmeter in the display as part of a software update.

i guess the 'recall comment' was mine, and no, no drama in the least. i am a dyed in the wool tesla supporter (owner, stockholder, cheerleader), but there are SO many 12v issues, that, yes, i believe this could qualify as a recall issue. i think it seems clear something about the 12v is very wrong, and although i've personally had no issues with it, and many others likewise, there are enough that i think a service bulletin for all owners offering/suggesting/insisting on a 12v battery replacement isn't beyond the pale. many cars have been recalled for less. and at this point it's also a potential pr issue. anything that could potentially ground a car should be dealt with proactively in my book. where possible.

no drama. just characters.

at the very least, tm could implement a 12v monitoring handler on their server side that will flag any units with out of spec readings and preemptively contact those owners and take care of it that way. doesn't have to be a model-wide recall or anything... dramatic.

I believe the coreect term in a case like this would be "technical service bulletin", or TSB, not "recall".

my understanding is that a recall is a mandatory repair usually related to safety and almost always at dealer cost; a tsb is usually not safety related, often elective and frequently an owner cost item. i think this would qualify as a recall, but in any case a non-owner cost situation. afaic. but as i indicated in my post above i just think a tsb, or recall, whichever, is in order. i wasn't saying it has to be a recall.

Batteries. One bad batch does not spoil the MY.

It may just be as simple as this. Bad batch. I have no reason to believe it isn't. That's certainly what I'm hearing from the SC manager. He said he's attempting to keep a dozen batteries at the SC 'til they cull through the bad ones in peoples cars.

This isn't much of an update since my car isn't at the SC yet.

It HAS been a very interesting experience. A learning experience for certain. Trust me, it's different than reading about issues on TMC when it first hits you that it's YOUR car that wont start. Honestly, after my initial shock that my "perfect"car wouldn't drive; I was proud that I'm a part of the troubleshooting. Seriously, that's how I feel. Our goal even as we drive this amazingly powerful, and fast luxury car is to get Gen III to the masses. Working this stuff out is part of the process.

I was also glad to experience roadside assistance. Very competent, I knew they were there to help me. The Columbus Service Center manager got in touch with me immediately after he heard my car was coming in. I can't say enough about how good that made me feel. I don't know how Tesla keeps hiring these awesome people but kudos to whoever gets it done. The manager at the Columbus SC was communicating with me as late as 10PM last night. Not because I bugged him either. He just REALLY cares.

The only weak link (other than the obvious offending battery :wink:) was the towing. We seriously need to tweak this. Apparently Tesla contracts with Allstate. They (Allstate) have all the contact with the towers. The first tow guy had no idea how to tow a Tesla whatsoever with the exception of knowing he needed a flatbed. He couldn't get the car on the truck and didn't have any of the necessary equipment. Very nice guy, just couldn't get it done. The second guy had access to the necessary equipment but didn't bring it. At about 10PM (I called roadside at about 245PM) it was getting late and he said he'd have to wait about 2 hours to get the stuff he needed delivered so I reluctantly gave him the key fob and went home. It wasn't easy to leave. I beat him to death with all of the towing instructions I could give him. Including both of us laying down under the car with a flashlight and identifying the tow holes. As well as making certain he knew how to tie it down once it got on the truck, 2x4 bracing instructions etc... The bottom line is that these guys should have all this info when they arrive. Specifically, if the parking brake is engaged and cannot be released they need to be aware that they'll need special equipment. That they wont be able to put the car in neutral etc...

FWIW: I started the upgrade with a full standard charge minus about 10 miles of driving. I was parked in the exact same spot (lots of 3G bars) as my last update. Did not get any 12 volt warning. The update appeared normal with the scheduling or install now option, the 2 minute countdown and then the window saying that the update was in progress. Not sure where yobigd20 got that silliness about not following instructions. I'm a "checklist" guy. I do these things exactly according to instructions and I always double check before selecting anything. I've never seen, and frankly can't imagine that I would have missed anything about being plugged in.

Hoping it's just a bad 12 volt. I'll update as soon as I hear anything.