Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downloading Tidal audio files onto SSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using Tidal and you select the option to download a album, is there a way to download it to an SSD drive plugged into one of the center console USB ports, not the glove box since my Sentry SSD is plugged into that one? Do downloaded Tidal files play at a higher quality than just streaming them? I've been using Spotify forever but after comparing the same songs in the internal Tesla Spotify and Tidal apps it's clear to me that Tidal sounds superior. The interface is lacking features that I enjoy on Tidal iPhone & desktop which is really a drag. It's missing gapless playback, the ability to organize playlist in folders, no artist radio, a very poor search engine for finding music, the ability to reorganize the albums & playlists. If you can't download to an external SSD where does the Tesla M3 LR download the files to and what's the capacity for storing music files?

You're asking all the right questions brotha.
Keeping my eye on this thread as i'd like to know any planned enhancements for the future which will allow users to store Tidal files on the external drive.
As it stands now it stores it in Teslas's legacy internal drive, i'm not sure of the space limitation.
Wouldn’t it be nice if Tesla gave us the option to increase the cars SSD capacity. Storage is so cheap it should an obvious option and easy to address.

We just got a Y two weeks ago, and I didn't research the music interface. I truly would have waited for the Fisker if I had known what I know now. The car is the ONLY place I can listen to music loud, and Tesla is a big fail in this category. I know this will piss off all the Tesla fans, but this is a serious issue. Can't believe this string is 4 years old and Tesla still has not addressed this. They can make an app with a fart noise, but they can't spend a few hours on the music interface?

We just got a Y two weeks ago, and I didn't research the music interface. I truly would have waited for the Fisker if I had known what I know now. The car is the ONLY place I can listen to music loud, and Tesla is a big fail in this category. I know this will piss off all the Tesla fans, but this is a serious issue. Can't believe this string is 4 years old and Tesla still has not addressed this. They can make an app with a fart noise, but they can't spend a few hours on the music interface?
This was a massive concession for me as the music interface is a total afterthought in these cars. The worst in any car you can buy today since every other car provides options for Carplay, AA and basic iPod functionality. At the moment I'm just happy for Apple Music even if the sound is terrible because we aren't allowed to download songs like we are with Tidal.

Reactions: ehadrive3
To free up space:

1. Log out of Tidal
2. Do a 2 button reboot
3. Log back in to Tidal with the QR code and your phone.

That's it. If you've downloaded music you can delete it from the downloads screen, but as you stream music while connected to a hotspot it downloads each song played and keeps it. There is no way to delete these except for the above. But if you go to play a song again, or if it appears in a playlist, the Hifi icon will appear next to the song and play in Hifi even if you are not connected.

I agree that the music interface and the speakers in the car basically sucked. It does in most cars. The difference is the lack of options for upgrading in a Tesla. You can't go to your local car audio shop and get anything done. Based on suggestions here I replaced the dash and door speakers with the only ones that fit myself, and now use Tidal exclusively as all the other options just sound bad except maybe, sometimes, the bluetooth combined with a true hi-res source like Qobuz. Oh, and Qobuz played through the browser when parked sounds really good, but only while parked. It shuts off as soon as you go into drive.

This was a massive concession for me as the music interface is a total afterthought in these cars. The worst in any car you can buy today since every other car provides options for Carplay, AA and basic iPod functionality. At the moment I'm just happy for Apple Music even if the sound is terrible because we aren't allowed to download songs like we are with Tidal.
You can use carPlay on your phone if you’re that wedded to it. And if you want to customize, i’ve seen many threads in here where people have done so— and they enter contests and win with their stereo upgrades. So i’m not sure what you’re not doing. But to me, this Tesla sound system is totally excellent quality. I can analyze the production value— which is my personal bare minimum . It’s good enough where i haven’t bothered yet to upgrade. It can certainly get better, but I’m totally happy the way it is, and music is my line of work. I care about the sound more than the interface. Hopefully they’ll add features as we go. They may be limited to what Tidal will allow as far as the interface. We really don’t know.