Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downloading updates on wi fi - got an old router?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So cuphead hasn't been working for me since I got the new car as it needs wi fi to update and there is no way my house wi fi will go far enough.

Thought about buying a range extender just to sort this one issue out... but then realised I have an old router in my box of spares from when we changed to BT.

If you turn off DHCP, change the IP address to make sure no conflict with your main router, plug it into your home network... boom - you have a nice little range extender just where you want it.

Plugged into a socket in my spare room at the front of the house and the car is now happily updating.

Cool trick - just in case it helps anyone else.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Does the Model 3 only update when connected to Wi-Fi?

Also how big in file size are the updates - in theory could you enable 4G hotspot on your phone and update the software that way?

Seems like an issue I will have soon, live in a block of flats and there's no way the WiFi would reach down to the underground car park.

So for the big important updates I think Tesla prefers you do it over wifi... but after a certain period if you aren't connecting they will update it over the cellular connection.

But my cuphead update was taking a long time not coming... I don't think stuff like this ever gets done if u don't get on wifi.

So dont worry - anything important you will get.

Anything less critical - sort out something like I did... or find a friendly coffeshop / supercharger location that plays ball?

So cuphead hasn't been working for me since I got the new car as it needs wi fi to update and there is no way my house wi fi will go far enough.

Thought about buying a range extender just to sort this one issue out... but then realised I have an old router in my box of spares from when we changed to BT.

If you turn off DHCP, change the IP address to make sure no conflict with your main router, plug it into your home network... boom - you have a nice little range extender just where you want it.

Plugged into a socket in my spare room at the front of the house and the car is now happily updating.

Cool trick - just in case it helps anyone else.

The plug that are networked are a good option and then use a cheap WiFi extender at the furthest point closest to the car

Reactions: Watts_Up
Does the Model 3 only update when connected to Wi-Fi?

Also how big in file size are the updates - in theory could you enable 4G hotspot on your phone and update the software that way?

Seems like an issue I will have soon, live in a block of flats and there's no way the WiFi would reach down to the underground car park.
Personal hotspot on phone works fine.

I ended up using powerline extenders to a spare router from some previous internet supplier. That system might well work in a block of flats to the underground carpark so long as all on the same phase and there's a socket down there.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know what the filesize of the update is tho? Hundreds of MB? Or is it several GB?

I ended up using powerline extenders to a spare router from some previous internet supplier. That system might well work in a block of flats to the underground carpark so long as all on the same phase and there's a socket down there.
There's no plug sockets down in the car park at all. Was hoping there might be as wanted to charge down there but not a single socket.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know what the filesize of the update is tho? Hundreds of MB? Or is it several GB?

There's no plug sockets down in the car park at all. Was hoping there might be as wanted to charge down there but not a single socket.

I assume there are lights....if landlord allows 'cos the powerline extender draw is miniscule. Trouble is that they are dsigned to be simple and plug into a 3-pin and as soon as you install one off the light circuit some cretin will plug a kettle into it....(tiny fuse?)

I not still at the stage of 'gotta have the update as soon as released' then wait until they've beena out a few weeks and park by a service centre (if it's not to far away) within range of it's wifi and doubtless car will download it. Mine just updated while waiting for it's yellow screen fix.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy from the last few years it can act as a wifi extender. So as a short term fix you can connect it to wifi. place it halfway between the car and the router. turn on hotspot and connect the car to the phone hotspot and bingo. wifi extended. i think Galaxy S7-10 and some of the notes are the only phones that can do this.
Not much use long term though unless you don't want to use your phone

I assume there are lights....if landlord allows 'cos the powerline extender draw is miniscule. Trouble is that they are dsigned to be simple and plug into a 3-pin and as soon as you install one off the light circuit some cretin will plug a kettle into it....(tiny fuse?)

I not still at the stage of 'gotta have the update as soon as released' then wait until they've beena out a few weeks and park by a service centre (if it's not to far away) within range of it's wifi and doubtless car will download it. Mine just updated while waiting for it's yellow screen fix.
There are lights yes, which are automated, but no electrical sockets anywhere in the car park at all. So if I wanted a socket i'd have to ask them to install it, but if I was going to do that might as well get them to put a proper EV charge point down there.

But I rent the flat at the moment, so not sure how long i'd be in this building. May possibly buy within the block at some point in which case i'd try and get a proper EV point installed. Although I am yet to see another EV owner of any kind park their car here so I guess i'm the only one with an EV (out of hundreds of flats, not a single one).

Two things.

Some apartment management companies and/or landlords may be open to having a common infrastructure (read wiring) installed as they are forward thinking enough to realise that it is better, neater, cheaper to get the most disruptive parts installed under their control. The EV owner can then get either end installed as fits their purpose. Unfortunately, many non EV owners don't like the fact that the cost is being shared by them and not all apartments are relatively straight forward to install even the infrastructure in.

Second, powerline adaptors lose signal over distance and as they pass through things like RCD's. So just because you can connect a powerline adaptor in your appartment, doesn't mean that it will magically appear somewhere else even if on the same phase.