Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downloading updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC crew,

A newbie owner here, so this is probably a stupid question.
Is there a way to download an update anywhere besides from the car, say to a thumb drive, and then take that to the car and install it from the drive?

My download of 2022.40.10.25 (right number? the latest) has stalled. I've tried everything I
can find and it never starts back up. Stopped very near the start. Can't find a "cancel" either.
Any ideas?
Tried everything, then I guess you have already done these two?

First try a MCU reset, then use the Power Off from the Service Menu and get out and let car sleep an hour. If that doesn't work then use the Service Menu and Reinstall the current firmware version.

Upvote 0
Julien ... I did the MCU Reset and that worked. Sort of. It did clear the failed attempt to
download 2022.40.10.25 so the vehicle seems to be fully back to the prior number.
However, it is now saying "your vehicle is up to date" (sic) when before it wanted to
download and install 40.10.25 in order to get "up to date". Perhaps it will restart that
download sometime later.
My 2018 Model X does not have a Power Off on the Service Menu. It is elsewhere.
Also the instructions for the MCU Reset specify "the four finger salute" ... but my
vehicle does not have any buttons above the scroll wheels. But the reset seems to
have worked.

I hope it drives correctly now (haven't tried it ... yet).

- thanks for you help ... Jim in the PNW

Upvote 0
Sorry not Service menu. I think Power Off is in the Safety & Security Menu.

Also if you have it cleared the stuck update out it may now take a day or 2 to restart the download. So you are likely on the right track.

Reseting the MCU doesn't have anything to do with driving. You can even reset it WHILE you are driving and other than not seeing (speed...) or hearing (signal lights....) the car will drive as normal.

Upvote 0
Julien,
Thanks again. Fingers crossed for success the next time.

I tried to find where the car links up to my home wifi. Couldn't find it. Did I miss it or
does the car not use my home network?
- Jim in the PNW
Is it new to you and never connected to your home WiFi? Once you manually connect (put in your WiFi password) it should auto connect every time you are home.

Doesn't matter if connected to WiFi or not. The Notification for the download is sent over cell. You WILL have to connect to WiFi for the actual download though. It will show a Yellow Download Icon somewhere at the top of the screen indicating you have a download pending if not connected to WiFi.

If it was downloading before then you must have a WiFi connection at your home. You can tell by the icon. On Cell it is 4 bars increasing and if on WiFi it looks a lot like a fan. You can click on this icon to bring up the WiFi and Bluetooth menu.

Here is mine (Model 3) with the Yellow download button telling me to connect to WiFi. Also I just connected to my iPhone's WiFi (see Fan icon) hotspot and it is about to start downloading (the Arrow will turn green).

IMG_5918.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
Julien,
I'm on my home wifi - or at least I was before. I wanted to check that connection status for
the car.
App has gone back to "Downloading 2022.44.30.10" ...but not making any progress. Before there
was just one dot of the progress bar (car display) and it showed a very small amount of data
transfer rate (both on car). Now it shows nothing about the download on the car and only the
status above on the app.

Upvote 0