Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downside of Tesla Ownership...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive an X and my Wife an S. Many times when we switch for the day, I hunt around the screen looking for the "open door" button... Also, while walking up to the car I'll pause because I'm so accustomed to the door opening on its own...Quite funny!

I'm currently driving a rented Jetta for a week while in Edmonton (BTW haven't seen any S or X here at all yet). Haven't walked away with the engine running, but I do have to pause for 5-10 seconds after parking to figure out what it is that I'm supposed to do (push the "off" button). I'm consoling myself that that's about how long it takes to plug a car in (when necessary). At least I'll only have to visit the (horrors!!) gas station once just before taking the car back to the airport.

I have a whole list of other gripes about driving but I'll leave them out.

that happened to me once, I borrowed my son's car and when returning it to him I parked it on the street and walked away with the engine running, it ran for over 3 hours until we returned to retrieve it.

That scares me because I've done it in my wife's RX, (only we GARAGE PARK) our cars all the time. Our garage is connected to our home, so I am creating a potentially life threatening situation with my forgetfulness.

• Helpful
Reactions: kidjim25
Three times this weekend while stuck in a rental Toyota Camry, I parked and walked away from the car, engine still running, key still in the ignition. Sheesh.
Yes,
It drives me crazy too.
I traded in my Toyota Hylander Hybrid for my Model S. When I drive my wife’s Prius, I invariably flip on the windshield wipers when I attempt to put it in gear. Can’t wait until we get the Model 3 we have reserved for her so we will have parity.

it shuts down when you close the door.

More specifically, it shuts down if there is no weight on the driver seat and the door opens and closes. (Had to try this early on, when an older release of AP2 was refusing to work. I was too lazy to actually climb out of the car (on the road shoulder) so I just “levitated” off the seat and cycled the door.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and dhrivnak
More specifically, it shuts down if there is no weight on the driver seat and the door opens and closes. (Had to try this early on, when an older release of AP2 was refusing to work. I was too lazy to actually climb out of the car (on the road shoulder) so I just “levitated” off the seat and cycled the door.
a typically TMC pedantic response, yes you are 100% correct.

• Funny
Reactions: LosAltosChuck

Sigh. I really need to think about my plan of changing out my leaf for a new leaf in a few years.

Reactions: IdaX
So guys I am a Leaf and smart ED owner and wannabe tesla owner so I don't understand what's happening here. Does the Tesla turn off when you walk away from it or do you still have to push a button to turn it off like the leaf.

Thanks.

John.
It's totally automatic if you have the fob with you. You just walk to the car, get in and drive away. When you arrive at your destination, you just put it in Park and walk away. No buttons required.