Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla pushes features in what is called "shadow mode" before they are deployed. At night the car uploads anonymised information back to the cloud, that info is used to train the neural net and pushed back out to the cars. For example Tesla could ask it's fleet how did drivers react to pot holes, and then improve pot holes detection and response. If your car is not connected, you might not be participating in these tests that benefits everyone. One of the big advantage of buying a Tesla is that their fleet size is big, and much bigger than it's competition, so they have neural networks that are trained at incredible speeds.

I would be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.
Thanks, all,
Robin
Ok, still waiting on my car so this is all based on my understanding of how it all works. But - Without LTE connectivity, i would think you would loose all streaming information. Maps, traffic, SuperCharger status and availability. Also would the app work, or possibly only communicate with the car while in bluetooth range. No remote preconditioning the climate and battery. In car streaming would be limited to what you used with a connected phone. No remote diagnosis by Tesla technicians. etc.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
Without LTE connectivity, I would loose all streaming information. Maps, traffic, SuperCharger status and availability. Also the app would not work, and only communicate with the car while in bluetooth range. No remote preconditioning the climate and battery. In car streaming would be limited to what you used with a connected phone. No remote diagnosis by Tesla technicians. etc.

I attempted to answer your question using your quote because I didn’t want to miss any parts of it.

The maps still work, but in a limited capacity. Whatever is in the cars memory as the base map set. No POI search only addresses.

the car will become more basic and only capable of things in range of the Bluetooth. You could still do preconditioning and set battery charge percentage. But again, only when in range.

Your car can become like this on long road trips through the middle of nowhere. Have some downloaded music always available to you either on phone or a thumb drive and you’ll never really notice anything changes. Especially if you mapped your route before going “off grid”

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
This is a situation I will be dealing with too. I live in a building with underground parking, and that's where the EV chargers are and where I will be parking my car. Wifi doesn't reach there, and the LTE signal is poor - I can sometimes get one bar on my phone. For updates, I guess I'll just go park at my friend's place for a while when they are ready for download...