Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downsized M3 Performance to 18 inch wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the stiffness off the sidewall measured though? I always thought the taller the sidewall the lower the stiffness.

only hypothetically given all other variables are equal. A taller sidewall can be thicker, hence stiffer. Case by case basis. Have you seen the sidewall height on F1 cars? Granted they changed recently from 13” wheels to 18”.

Reactions: Lindenwood
How is the stiffness off the sidewall measured though? I always thought the taller the sidewall the lower the stiffness.
It's not part of specs. Cup 2s are much stiffer sidewall than 4s, for example.

Higher load rating does that too. My 19 inch 102 rating 4s are sharper than stock 20 inch 92.

So you are using load rating as a proxy for sidewall stiffness?
On the same tire model and size higher load rating would be stiffer sidewall. Can't compare different models, though, because load rating is not only about how compressed a tire under specific load, but also how reliable side cords are and how fast the tire heats up from the same load.

I sure wish Tesla offered the Performance M3 with 18" wheels. For a car that costs 70K, give me a choice please! For a daily driver I don't need $400+ tires that wear out real fast so I guess I'll just wait for my Long Range to deliver. But if I had the Performance I could run track days and autocross.....Oh well...

I sure wish Tesla offered the Performance M3 with 18" wheels. For a car that costs 70K, give me a choice please! For a daily driver I don't need $400+ tires that wear out real fast so I guess I'll just wait for my Long Range to deliver. But if I had the Performance I could run track days and autocross.....Oh well...

Few if any manufacturers offer 18" wheels on their performance cars in the mid size segment. Even compact segment for the most part has moved to 19" wheels on performance models as you see on STI, Golf R, Civic Type R, etc.

Reactions: tm1v2
Few if any manufacturers offer 18" wheels on their performance cars in the mid size segment. Even compact segment for the most part has moved to 19" wheels on performance models as you see on STI, Golf R, Civic Type R, etc.
This. I'm all for 18" on this car, that's what I switched our M3P to and I recommend 18" for any kind of street use even aggressive canyon carving, but the PUP should come with forged 19" as the right mix of style, function, and practicality for modern times.

I can't see Tesla wanting to squeeze 18" over the PUP brakes as a factory fitment. 19" is easier to sell and service. They could still offer 20" as an option. Stocking an extra wheel is easy and they already offer two wheel sizes for most cars in their lineup.

Reactions: Petsur
Indeed. The 19" Zero-G wheel should be the "standard" 3P offering in all markets, not just China. And the Uberturbine dubs should serve as the "baller" upgrade.

1663394854933.png

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Indeed. The 19" Zero-G wheel should be the "standard" 3P offering in all markets, not just China. And the Uberturbine dubs should serve as the "baller" upgrade.

View attachment 853414
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the presses! Tesla has a 19" Zero-G wheel? Official Tesla wheels, not knockoffs? How did I not know about this? Why is it not on USDM M3P? Damn it Tesla. 19" Zero-G as the M3P wheel makes so much sense.