TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Downtown Philadelphia Charging Options

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by eric777, May 30, 2016.

1. eric777

eric777 Member

Heading to PHL in a few weeks......

Chargepoint shows quite a few locations in downtown Philadelphia, mostly in public garages.

Have you charged in downtown PHL before? Do you have any locations you really liked? Anywhere you'd avoid?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

Eric

2. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

I would stay at the Marriott in center city they have 14/50 charge out lets, Give them a call and make sure that
    they are operational. Philly is a great walking city and if need be the Newark SC is only 45 miles away.

3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

There are about a million (OK, about a dozen) public parking garages with chargers listed on PlugShare. The comments there will give you a decent picture of how things are.

I've been once, and used the garage at 1815 Cherry St. Charging was free, parking rates seemed reasonable for the area.

4. James Anders

James Anders Member

The Philly metro area is in dire need of Superchargers.

5. PA70D

PA70D Member

Have charged at the Barnes foundation just down from the art museum. It s a lot with a parking attendant. There are many locations for both Charge point and Blink. first time used this one did so because the first choice garage had construction ongoing and entrance was closed when we arrived.

6. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Newark? Allentown? About a bazillion on the NJ Turnpike? You hit a supercharger coming into/out of Philadelphia from any direction but east.

• Like x 2
  7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

To my mind, you left out one of the most important ones - Harrisburg, opened a few weeks back and enabling easy travel west on the turnpike.

• Like x 2
  8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

East will soon be handled by Egg Harbor, about 50 miles away.
    Of course none of those do you much good if you plan on spending a week or so in the Philly area for work or vacation, really need charging at your hotel then.

9. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

That's called destination charging. In the past year that I've owned my model S, with over 75 nights in hotels, I have stayed at exactly 1 hotel where I couldn't charge. Everything else had at least a 120v outlet, which is plenty to get you filled up over the course of a couple of days.

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Odd I've had pretty much the opposite experience, the majority of the hotels I've stayed at I've been told they had no outlets available for charging. And of course one of the few that did, a maintenance guy tripped over the cable and broke the charge port and the UMC.

11. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Maybe you're not bringing enough doughnuts...

12. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

The last hotel I tried to charge at did have an exterior outlet and they were happy to let me use it. Unfortunately I woke up to a ton of "charging interrupted" "charging began" messages on my phone and to a dead circuit, because the plug I was using was on the same circuit as their waffle maker! Come breakfast time, havoc ensued. Fun times.

Anyway, definitely ask, but if they say they have no place for you to charge, don't necessarily take that as a definitive answer. Many places do have accessible and usable exterior outlets but the staff don't know about them or don't think of them. Do a little visual scouting and then if you find something you can ask permission.

13. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

I stopped counting the L2 chargers that or in downtown Philly. Just take a look at Plug Share.

14. Austral

Austral Member

Plugshare only noted one charger in Center City at the Locust Apts. Yikes! That can't be right; is it?

Is there one at any of the hotels near the Academy of Music?

15. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Quite a few around..

[​IMG]

16. Austral

Austral Member

Ah, I filtered out the chademo et al. stuff. Thanks. Amazingly the Belleview does not have one! Jeez. Same goes for the Ritz. First World problems.