Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doxxing discussion out of Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the response to the following statement, which I believe is true?

Doxxing reduces the likelihood of people with information on companies that are not doing the right thing coming forward in the future?

Disagree, Revealing a source is not good for the source or revealer, but anonymous reports to regulatory agencies do not greatly expose persons to doxxing. The ability to infer who may have had access to the information that the regulators were given is IMO a different situation than piercing the veil of on-line anonymity and has remained the same level of risk.

Edit: To extend, I don't think the actual risk is higher, but the perceived risk may be higher and thus suppress whistle blowers...

Last edited:
There is a real victim here. I'm concerned about what this means for Montana Septic. This can be a real crisis for a parody persona. One loses a reason to be, one loses a sense of identity and purpose. It can be a real existential crisis. I know this is not a real person, but even fake online personas have feeling and, some say, rights. So let's all keep in mind that the real victim here is Montana Septic. All the best, little parody guy.

I should preface this post by stating that I've worked as journalist previously and I try to keep a psychological sensitive view when I write about people. Especially on the web it's easy to forget we're still humans (weirdly). I keep wondering where people get all this hatred that they spew around on the web. So I wanted to share something I found when I did my research regarding Montana Skeptic aka Larry Fossi. One reason where all his bitterness comes from: apparently he has lost his wife back when he was still in Yale. She was murderes by a serial killer (Eugene Watts). I couldn't entirely verify his identity but he's the only Lawrence J. Fossi that has both graduated from Rice and Yale University and is now working for Rahr Enterprises. Also the age (61) fits.
As always with stuff thats posted on the web: don't believe anything without fact checking yourselve. But I thought it might be interesting to provide a bit humane background (as that's what I'm most interested in).

There is even a book about the incident: Evil Eyes

Disagree, Revealing a source is not good for the source or revealer, but anonymous reports to regulatory agencies do not greatly expose persons to doxxing. The ability to infer who may have had access to the information that the regulators were given is IMO a different situation than piercing the veil of on-line anonymity and has remained the same level of risk.

Edit: To extend, I don't think the actual risk is higher, but the perceived risk may be higher and thus suppress whistle blowers...

Perception is the reality in this case, as future whistleblowers will (or won't) act based on their perception of the reality.

Reactions: mongo
Wait, Montana Skeptic was market manipulator, not a whistle blower.

Quite possibly, but that was not ValueAnalyst's question.
What's the response to the following statement, which I believe is true?

Doxxing reduces the likelihood of people with information on companies that are not doing the right thing coming forward in the future.

I should preface this post by stating that I've worked as journalist previously and I try to keep a psychological sensitive view when I write about people. Especially on the web it's easy to forget we're still humans (weirdly). I keep wondering where people get all this hatred that they spew around on the web. So I wanted to share something I found when I did my research regarding Montana Skeptic aka Larry Fossi. One reason where all his bitterness comes from: apparently he has lost his wife back when he was still in Yale. She was murderes by a serial killer (Eugene Watts). I couldn't entirely verify his identity but he's the only Lawrence J. Fossi that has both graduated from Rice and Yale University and is now working for Rahr Enterprises. Also the age (61) fits.
As always with stuff thats posted on the web: don't believe anything without fact checking yourselve. But I thought it might be interesting to provide a bit humane background (as that's what I'm most interested in).

I think that’s a great approach in life in general. While it can apply to ‘us’, it should also apply to the person we’re to feel empathy for, in this case Mr Fossi who has spewed all over Elon Musk for years, also a human with tragedy in his past. Look what Elon’s done in spite of his tragedy.

We’ve all got tragic stories to tell, many of us don’t take it out on others because we were taught better, because we know better, because we’re generally trying to be better at being good people.

So, yeah. No sympathy from me. Karma.

Although I would view this incident with extreme empathy towards Montana if true, I do fail to see the connection from something that happened in his college days to his behavior as an investor and also a grown man 40 years later. Maybe that's why I make a crappy armchair psychiatrist. :)

Taking extraordinary measures (like a CEO calling an individual's boss) to silence a critic is not going to alter reality one way or the other. It's time to execute what was promised!

Lets get this very clear - He is not a critic. He is FUDster and liar and a rumor monger.

Time to execute? Which is exactly what Musk is doing !.

These rumors and lies being spread by the short sellers hurt his chances of success, making it difficult to do business, because his company entirely depends on how John Doe and Soccer moms perceives his product. Tesla may make a great product, but if the public starts wondering if they are indeed more prone to catch fire, then game over.

So on the one hand to succeed, Tesla has to produce a highly desirable, high quality and very safe product that the public yearns to own - which they are making progress on that each day and week.

On the other hand, the haters simply have to spread rumors enough to sow doubt in people’s mind. Much easier job than building an automobile company from scratch *and* competing against German and Japanese fossil giants with deep pockets.

This is an highly asymmetrical warfare.

So in other words, executing here entails (among other things), shutting off these scumbags - which is exactly what he is doing.

Last edited:
There’s no reason to bring Rahr into this. He wasn’t the one lying about Tesla. If anything, he helped end the lying.

True, that wasn’t my intent. I just shared because he’s a very interesting character. Amusing that he’d go through most of his life buttoned up and nose to the grindstone, then suddenly he’s divorced, has coined a new nickname, is partying with celebrities and emailing sex tapes of himself - while giving lots of his money to good causes.

Although I would view this incident with extreme empathy towards Montana if true, I do fail to see the connection from something that happened in his college days to his behavior as an investor and also a grown man 40 years later. Maybe that's why I make a crappy armchair psychiatrist. :)

Knowing why someone is an asshole doesn't make them less of an asshole. Sometimes a problem just needs to be stopped.

True, that wasn’t my intent. I just shared because he’s a very interesting character. Amusing that he’d go through most of his life buttoned up and nose to the grindstone, then suddenly he’s divorced, has coined a new nickname, is partying with celebrities and emailing sex tapes of himself - while giving lots of his money to good causes.
I've seen this a lot and I'm his industry. Build a business by working hard, get a huge buyout, and then go completely Dennis Rodman. Sad but a human trait for a few of us.

I've seen this a lot and I'm his industry. Build a business by working hard, get a huge buyout, and then go completely Dennis Rodman. Sad but a human trait for a few of us.

"Build a business by working hard" - you mean buying drugs and anticipate the drug manufactures will raise price soon, then he can sell at a huge profit. Drug manufactures raise price every year, that's as predictable as tax. Google it, the story was disclosed on NYT in 2005. That guy got rich because he found a loophole and monetized the loophole to the max. It's clever, but I don't see the contribution to the society here.

I don't believe that Rahr didn't know he has been shorting Tesla for years. I don't believe it that Rahr didn't know Montana has been attacking Tesla and Elon Musk all these years. I don't believe this kind of people will suddenly change heart and giving lots of his money to good causes. My suspicion is that those givings may just be smokes. It's my observation that generally people with good heart do good things. Shady people do shady things.

Probably true. Although using existing laws to conduct business is the norm. There IMO should be much less restriction on consensual business transactions and let the market decide the winners.
This guy is just another example of the corrupting power of wealth. Without a sound moral backbone, everything is an opportunity.

You know I was not writing about Montana Skeptic or Mr Fossi, right?

Stewart Rahr is a big fan of Tesla. Bought 12 if them in 2012.

https://pagesix.com/2012/12/04/stewart-rahr-wife-divorce-might-cost-800m/

Don’t understand why you would attack him for making his money as a wholesaler. It was the manufacturers that raised the prices on their brand name meds like clockwork twice a year. Still do. Load up like mad and get a risk free 10 to 15 percent bump. Why is that wrong? Whatever, people get pissed whenever anyone makes money yet almost everyone claims to be a capitalist. Go figure.

Stewart Rahr is a big fan of Tesla. Bought 12 if them in 2012.

https://pagesix.com/2012/12/04/stewart-rahr-wife-divorce-might-cost-800m/

Don’t understand why you would attack him for making his money as a wholesaler. It was the manufacturers that raised the prices on their brand name meds like clockwork twice a year. Still do. Load up like mad and get a risk free 10 to 15 percent bump. Why is that wrong? Whatever, people get pissed whenever anyone makes money yet almost everyone claims to be a capitalist. Go figure.

Montana Skeptic’s employer bought 12 Tesla’s? I wonder if Rahr knew his employee has been bashing Tesla and/or shorting it on his behalf the last three years? That conversation might be awkward...

Montana Skeptic’s employer bought 12 Tesla’s? I wonder if Rahr knew his employee has been bashing Tesla and/or shorting it on his behalf the last three years? That conversation might be awkward...

I wonder if Rahr knew how much time and energy Fossi had spent researching and attacking Tesla. It’s mind boggling really. Surely a good portion of it would have been during work days? Of course I don’t know exactly how a “work day” would be quantified in such a position.

I wonder if Rahr knew how much time and energy Fossi had spent researching and attacking Tesla. It’s mind boggling really. Surely a good portion of it would have been during work days? Of course I don’t know exactly how a “work day” would be quantified in such a position.

I really doubt Montana Skeptic’s account of why he deleted his Twitter account. While Musk is unpredictable enough that we can’t rule it out 100%, MS’s story sounds like just another one of his self-serving melodramatic falsehoods.

Has there been any confirmation of his story? From anyone other than Spiegel, QTR, or other denizens of the Twitter cesspool.