TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dozens of media outlets misquoting price of the Model X making it seem more expensive

Discussion in 'Model X' started by yobigd20, Sep 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Be it for a Founder series but from the Tesla site regarding the referral program:

http://www.teslamotors.com/support/referral-program

2. dmunjal

dmunjal Member

The job of marketing and communications is to make the job of the reporter easy to report the information you want them to.

3. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

This is probably not seriously damaging to Tesla in any way -- the actual base price is going to come out in a month or so, with another round of news reports -- but yeah, a bunch of reporters are being *really* incompetent in their reporting, and Tesla Marketing hasn't yet issued a statement to steer them in the right direction.

...urk. On another matter, I just this second realized that the referral "prize", a Founder Series Model X, is by definition a very early-off-the-line car with probably lots and lots of production quirks -- great bragging value, but the resale is probably lower than for a production Model X, so Tesla really isn't losing anything for selling it at the production model price.

4. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

+2 clear cause and effect.

5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Some are being lazy, from the stories I've read. Some are being genuinely disingenuous, making snide comments about rich soccer moms.

There some who seem to be more accurate, emphasizing the price is on the Signature edition, not the general production edition.

6. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Musk via Twitter:

There you are people.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

The job of a reporter is to write articles that make money.

The job of an investigative reporter is to find out correct information and then write an article that will make money.

8. brandeeno

brandeeno Member

Musk just clarified the price is 5k more than the S with same options. new thread created for this

9. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Look at the bright side. The fully featured Signature X price makes the Model S pricing that buyers can view, an absolute bargain.

Now consider the 0 to 60 mph acceleration of both the P90D S and X with the Ludicrous upgrade. When compared with the ICE competition, the fully loaded price is a bargain.

10. O-G

O-G Member

Top of the line Porsche Cayenne is $158k and it only does the 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. Practically like pouring molasses on a cold day.

11. highfalutintodd

While this constant, incomplete dribble of information is maddeningly frustrating to us, it is Tesla's way of staying in the news cycle. And they are masterful at it. Think about the sheer number of news notices the company gets this way - a dual motor here, a ludicrous upgrade there, autopilot coming out around the bend, hey, how about a powerwall, etc etc etc. They don't advertise, they have basically one shipping product (that 98% of people can't afford), yet they are in the news all the freaking time.

My father sends me news articles from his local paper every time he sees something about Tesla, which means I get something generally every week or two. That's incredible.

These are not stupid people. They may not be doing things the way we'd like, but what they're doing is getting them noticed and talked about.

I, for one, say keep it up.

12. simplejack

simplejack Member

Their PR presence comes from revolutionary products and dismantling of antiquated anti consumer dealer laws. Having better customer communication and media coordination, are not mutually exclusive. It would be pretty easy to better manage customer expectations and ensure the media has accurate info. Well run companies do it all the time.

13. Beryl

Beryl Member

I agree.

Hey scottf200 - care to share it?

14. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I seem to recall similar nonsense when when Model S Signature pricing came out. The bigger the number, the more outrageous the article, the more clicks, the more profit.

But, yeah, Tesla needs to release something official pretty soon talking about the base price of Model X. This is the number that's going to stick in people's heads.

15. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Option the Cayenne to the same as Model X and it's, cough, over $170k. Still slower. And only seats 5.

Base price: $157,300
    Price for Equipment: $13,335
    Destination Charge: $995
    Total Price:* $171,630

Good luck selling any more of those, Porsche.

16. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

And it still has one of them stinking gasoline engines...
    That said, it has the name recognition of a Porsche (means a lot in some circles) and it's interior finishings might be nicer, more colors, etc.

17. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

People who would want X will go and look into it and found out the details for themselves.

We around here are too concerned about all the details being right. PR does not work that way. It boils down to how many times word Tesla is mentioned. The more, the better. People will found out the right price just fine.

X is not intended to be cheap, if people remember it is expensive, there is no real harm done. $140k or $90k, both is out of reach of common man.

18. Max*

Max* Charging

Shouldn't the the upgraded decor be $1k for the Model S, since the Model X comes with CF?

Also, Model X includes 3rd row seats in the sig "Flat Folding, 2-adult third row seats"
    Model X Configuration has begun!

So the actual price, after federal tax rebate is:
    Model X: $136,700
    Model S: $137,700

Making the Model S more expensive, not less.

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

20. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#40 scottf200, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    It was not clear to me that the Signature comes with Carbon Fiber/CF. Making that assumption from this post or were there more? Model X Configuration has begun! - Page 4

Excellent point on the 3rd row. Not sure how I missed that :(

Image: http://i.imgur.com/KQSIoWG.png
    <snip> change from $750 to $1000 CF decor

I could but it is part of another multi-sheet document I've had for many many months.
    I could copy it. It is pretty straight forward tho. The diff col was actually used to compare Model S configs I was using to test and it made a little bit more sense there. Now it just emphasizes more what is included in the sig!