Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dozens of media outlets misquoting price of the Model X making it seem more expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably not seriously damaging to Tesla in any way -- the actual base price is going to come out in a month or so, with another round of news reports -- but yeah, a bunch of reporters are being *really* incompetent in their reporting, and Tesla Marketing hasn't yet issued a statement to steer them in the right direction.

...urk. On another matter, I just this second realized that the referral "prize", a Founder Series Model X, is by definition a very early-off-the-line car with probably lots and lots of production quirks -- great bragging value, but the resale is probably lower than for a production Model X, so Tesla really isn't losing anything for selling it at the production model price.

+1 strider. Tesla has yet to put out a press release. So whatever crap gets quoted in the press is totally Tesla's fault. For as much as Elon seems to care about what the press thinks about Tesla, he sure doesn't seem to be doing anything positive to help get the right message out there, except maybe for doing damage control after he creates a mess...
+2 clear cause and effect.

Some are being lazy, from the stories I've read. Some are being genuinely disingenuous, making snide comments about rich soccer moms.

There some who seem to be more accurate, emphasizing the price is on the Signature edition, not the general production edition.

Look at the bright side. The fully featured Signature X price makes the Model S pricing that buyers can view, an absolute bargain.

Now consider the 0 to 60 mph acceleration of both the P90D S and X with the Ludicrous upgrade. When compared with the ICE competition, the fully loaded price is a bargain.

While this constant, incomplete dribble of information is maddeningly frustrating to us, it is Tesla's way of staying in the news cycle. And they are masterful at it. Think about the sheer number of news notices the company gets this way - a dual motor here, a ludicrous upgrade there, autopilot coming out around the bend, hey, how about a powerwall, etc etc etc. They don't advertise, they have basically one shipping product (that 98% of people can't afford), yet they are in the news all the freaking time.

My father sends me news articles from his local paper every time he sees something about Tesla, which means I get something generally every week or two. That's incredible.

These are not stupid people. They may not be doing things the way we'd like, but what they're doing is getting them noticed and talked about.

I, for one, say keep it up.

Their PR presence comes from revolutionary products and dismantling of antiquated anti consumer dealer laws. Having better customer communication and media coordination, are not mutually exclusive. It would be pretty easy to better manage customer expectations and ensure the media has accurate info. Well run companies do it all the time.

I seem to recall similar nonsense when when Model S Signature pricing came out. The bigger the number, the more outrageous the article, the more clicks, the more profit.

But, yeah, Tesla needs to release something official pretty soon talking about the base price of Model X. This is the number that's going to stick in people's heads.

Top of the line Porsche Cayenne is $158k and it only does the 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. Practically like pouring molasses on a cold day.

Option the Cayenne to the same as Model X and it's, cough, over $170k. Still slower. And only seats 5.

Base price: $157,300
Price for Equipment: $13,335
Destination Charge: $995
Total Price:* $171,630

Good luck selling any more of those, Porsche.

Option the Cayenne to the same as Model X and it's, cough, over $170k. Still slower. And only seats 5.

Base price: $157,300
Price for Equipment: $13,335
Destination Charge: $995
Total Price:* $171,630

Good luck selling any more of those, Porsche.

And it still has one of them stinking gasoline engines...
That said, it has the name recognition of a Porsche (means a lot in some circles) and it's interior finishings might be nicer, more colors, etc.

This is the number that's going to stick in people's heads.

People who would want X will go and look into it and found out the details for themselves.

We around here are too concerned about all the details being right. PR does not work that way. It boils down to how many times word Tesla is mentioned. The more, the better. People will found out the right price just fine.

X is not intended to be cheap, if people remember it is expensive, there is no real harm done. $140k or $90k, both is out of reach of common man.

I was annoyed in the same way.

An old spreadsheet I just updated to see if there was a "sig tax". Doesn't really seem to be one.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/UKDtkkv.png
View attachment 92846

I think the $132,000 number is from here tho:

Model X Configuration has begun! - Page 2

Image: http://i.imgur.com/wfXw0iU.png
View attachment 92844

Shouldn't the the upgraded decor be $1k for the Model S, since the Model X comes with CF?

Also, Model X includes 3rd row seats in the sig "Flat Folding, 2-adult third row seats"
Model X Configuration has begun!

So the actual price, after federal tax rebate is:
Model X: $136,700
Model S: $137,700

Making the Model S more expensive, not less.

Shouldn't the the upgraded decor be $1k for the Model S, since the Model X comes with CF?
Also, Model X includes 3rd row seats in the sig "Flat Folding, 2-adult third row seats"
Model X Configuration has begun!
So the actual price, after federal tax rebate is:
Model X: $136,700
Model S: $137,700
Making the Model S more expensive, not less.

It was not clear to me that the Signature comes with Carbon Fiber/CF. Making that assumption from this post or were there more? Model X Configuration has begun! - Page 4

Excellent point on the 3rd row. Not sure how I missed that :(

Image: http://i.imgur.com/KQSIoWG.png
<snip> change from $750 to $1000 CF decor

I agree.
Hey scottf200 - care to share it?
I could but it is part of another multi-sheet document I've had for many many months.
I could copy it. It is pretty straight forward tho. The diff col was actually used to compare Model S configs I was using to test and it made a little bit more sense there. Now it just emphasizes more what is included in the sig!

Last edited: