Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drafting at Highway speed..It works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having witnessed a truck blowout in front of me a week or so ago, I'll say please don't do this. Truck tire blowouts are incredibly dangerous. Search youtube for "tire explosion" or "tire blowout" if you want to see.

I was in the on the interstate, light traffic, with a tractor-trailer about 0.2 mi ahead. His tire let go, without warning, with a big cloud of smoke and a bang I could hear down the road. I was slowing down to avoid the random debris, when a couple feet of tire tread dropped from the sky about 100 feet in front of me. When the tread unwound from the tire, it flung almost straight up in the air.

I remember a story years back about a truck's dock plate (the 1/4" thick steel plate they use to bridge the gap between the truck and the loading dock) coming loose and going through the windshield of the car behind, killing the driver instantly.

Just say no. Is achieving a personal best Wh/mi really worth it?

Totally agree with this. It's perfectly possible to get good Wh/mi without doing this.

Just traveled from Florida to West Virginia drafting most of the time. 20 or so feet behind Semis, I learned quick to look for the rigs that have very good mud flaps. Learned this after taking a rock to the windshield.

it basically allowed me to run at 80mph, at the energy or 65....