Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drafty Cabin - Report issues here please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem solved! It wasn't easy but after figuring out how to remove the door panels, I sealed up the drafts that were indeed coming from below the triangle windows where the side view mirrors are anchored. It took a lot of trial and error and driving around! I can post details and pictures if anybody needs them.

I was impressed with how well the doors are actually sealed except for this one spot. Engineering should perhaps look into this. I am not sure why there is air migrating in on the other side of the door skin and coming in where the mirrors are.

Excellent. Toronto reports that they have worked with engineers and fixed mine as well. I am having a tough time believing them, and people here on the forum will not believe when I report the service that I've dealt with since this all began. The VP of Tesla Global, Jerome Guillen (yes, it was that bad) is now looking after this fix and I hope they've figured it out.

I pick my car up on Monday and will let you know. Congratulations on the fix!

Excellent. Toronto reports that they have worked with engineers and fixed mine as well. I am having a tough time believing them, and people here on the forum will not believe when I report the service that I've dealt with since this all began. The VP of Tesla Global, Jerome Guillen (yes, it was that bad) is now looking after this fix and I hope they've figured it out.

I pick my car up on Monday and will let you know. Congratulations on the fix!

I'm glad Tesla is finally bringing out the big guns (so to speak) to deal with your problem. Your experience seems to have been worse than most, with them first denying the problem exists then saying they fixed it when they didn't, etc. It was sounding like the typical experience of going to an ICE dealer. Not like Tesla at all.

Hopefully, with Jerome taking a personal interest, they will finally fix your problem (not just say they did) and you can take your gloves off while you drive.

I'm glad Tesla is finally bringing out the big guns (so to speak) to deal with your problem. Your experience seems to have been worse than most, with them first denying the problem exists then saying they fixed it when they didn't, etc. It was sounding like the typical experience of going to an ICE dealer. Not like Tesla at all.

Hopefully, with Jerome taking a personal interest, they will finally fix your problem (not just say they did) and you can take your gloves off while you drive.

You have no idea. I'll fill folks in when I can. But it's a million times worse than an ICE dealer garage (there were many other issues to be dealt with), and Jerome acknowledged it and is dealing with it.

Looking forward to getting the car back. Soon!

Ok Here is what I did to eliminate almost all of the draft I was getting at the triangle window that was originating from below. It is important to ensure your draft is not coming from the front as this fix won't help that. To create conditions of maximum incoming draftiness, turn climate off or set it to recirculate mode. I could feel the draft with my hand placed on the triangle window even at low speeds. This condition was not normally seen on short trips with the climate set to AUTO. It was noticed during windy and very cold temperatures on longer drives when the climate control slows down to a steady state.

Tesla will come up with a professional fix for this I am sure that will be better than what I have done. Keep in mind every car is different and there have been other draft issues with the triangle windows. If you are getting wind noise then it is likely the front seal.

IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I actually have white soap or salt residue coming in around my front triangle windows from when I wash the car, it is so un-sealed...Service will hopefully be tackling it on Monday.

Me too. Perhaps the mirrors have not been sealed well enough. (see photo #3)

Not yet. I wanted to test it before I did the other side. It's looking good. I might wait to see what Tesla comes up with. Also, I need someone to drive while I feel for the draft on that side.

Don't wait too long to see what Tesla comes up with. I just received my service invoice and they report that they worked on the vehicle and were able to reduce the draft by 90%. Apparently 100% is too much to ask for. I expect your trick works best.

Not yet. I wanted to test it before I did the other side. It's looking good. I might wait to see what Tesla comes up with. Also, I need someone to drive while I feel for the draft on that side.

How is your solution holding up? I picked up my car yesterday and there is still a draft. Tesla has said they have done everything they can to fix it and Jerome has suggested rebuilding my car. I'm hesitant to take this route, however, and would like to hear what others suggest. I love my car, and it seems like rebuilding the entire thing to fix a draft is overkill (although it's been in 5 times for service for a litany of smaller issues - I'm at 8900 km after my first 5 weeks of driving). I'm not complaining - it's great to have the option, but I don't want to have them put another vehicle on the production line if we can work things out on my current vehicle.

Or maybe I'm crazy and I should just say go for it :-(

Would really like to hear how your solution has worked and if the draft is completely gone.

How is your solution holding up? I picked up my car yesterday and there is still a draft. Tesla has said they have done everything they can to fix it and Jerome has suggested rebuilding my car. I'm hesitant to take this route, however, and would like to hear what others suggest. I love my car, and it seems like rebuilding the entire thing to fix a draft is overkill (although it's been in 5 times for service for a litany of smaller issues - I'm at 8900 km after my first 5 weeks of driving). I'm not complaining - it's great to have the option, but I don't want to have them put another vehicle on the production line if we can work things out on my current vehicle.

Or maybe I'm crazy and I should just say go for it :-(

Would really like to hear how your solution has worked and if the draft is completely gone.

Mine seems much better. I can't feel a draft from below the triangle window anymore when climate set to recirc or off. I may be getting a very slight bit of air coming in the front on occasion. It may never be absolutely perfect as the car is not air tight.

To be really a nitpick, I think the cabin could feel a bit drafty due to the anemic blower. I can't seem to get much air coming out the foot vents and the mid level vents (or whatever they call them) unless I blast it at 11. Some people have mentioned getting a cold right foot. Most air comes out the defrost vent even when it is not activated (that is why I never have fogged windows). I am thinking the vents still need a bit of balancing. Perhaps blocking some holes in the defrost would allow more air below without causing fogging on the windshield.

What exactly did they do to attempt to resolve your issue? Seems excessive to replace your car but glad they are trying to make you happy.