Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drafty Cabin - Report issues here please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or maybe I'm crazy and I should just say go for it :-(

Would really like to hear how your solution has worked and if the draft is completely gone.

I say go for it (if you can stand to be without a vehicle for however long). Tesla made you the offer, after all.

Yes, it seems silly to replace the whole car, but maybe the lost revenue from having to build you another car will motivate them to not make cars with drafts they can't fix.

If you do take the replacement option, I suggest you request they do an autopsy on your original car to find out what went so wrong with it. It should never have come off the line with such poor seals. Others have reported the same issue, but it sound like yours was much more severe. Maybe studying your car will help them fix it for the rest of us.

Last edited:
This was my "fix" report.
Before I picked it up, I asked why only 90%. I was told the car draft was fixed so was hopeful when I went to get it.

We got in the car, hit the 401, and the draft was there on both sides (I had my wife in there to confirm passenger side).

I think Jerome is offering to replace due to this continued issue, as well as some serious issues that occurred during the last 5 services including the time I caught them putting a used part on my car and trying to pass it off as new :-(

Let me know what you think. Perhaps I ask them to try again with your fix? Seems like this could and should be fixable! Or I just have them rebuild and start anew with Tesla.

For what it's worth, Jerome has really stepped in to help make this better. And while I've lived more weekends with a loaner than my own car, I still think it's the best vehicle on the planet. Just. Want. The. Cold. Draft. Gone!

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 7.03.36 AM.png

....To be really a nitpick, I think the cabin could feel a bit drafty due to the anemic blower. I can't seem to get much air coming out the foot vents and the mid level vents (or whatever they call them) unless I blast it at 11. Some people have mentioned getting a cold right foot. Most air comes out the defrost vent even when it is not activated ....

this sucks imo and service says it is how it was designed. I think it is a bad design

mcfadyena: 1. Is the draft coming from below or front? 2. Does it occur even with blower on fresh air? 3. Do you have your vent open that's by the quarter window? I am sure you know this but make sure that vent isn't pointed all the way to the left because that shuts it off. 4. I wonder if they used any silicone around the mirror support (the part that is white with corrosion in my pics) otherwise a difficult place to seal with just rubber weatherstrip.

Last edited:
mcfadyena: 1. Is the draft coming from below or front? 2. Does it occur even with blower on fresh air? 3. Do you have your vent open that's by the quarter window? I am sure you know this but make sure that vent isn't pointed all the way to the left because that shuts it off. 4. I wonder if they used any silicone around the mirror support (the part that is white with corrosion in my pics) otherwise a difficult place to seal with just rubber weatherstrip.

Draft comes from the front. Goes away when fresh air is one. Vent is open. No silicone.

THANKS!

If the draft is coming from the front then my fix is not going to help. And like I said I do get a very slight bit or air movement from the front. However I am sure this is fixable it just takes time and a LOT of trial and error.

If you want, send detailed pics of the area from different angles with the door open and closed and we can compare the weather seal to our cars.

I froze on my drive to Toronto this morning. I am NOT in range mode, nor have I turned range mode on at all since the first service done on my car a few weeks back. After heating the cabin on High for 15 minutes, I started my trip. 15 minutes in, it was still freezing inside. I opened up the iPhone app to check the internal temperature, and it was still only 4 degrees inside. I took a screen shot and it’s attached. 45 minutes into the trip and it was still only 8-12 degrees. I had the heat set to 31 degrees. I finally got it up to temperature after about an hour.

The heat would come on, it would heat up a tad, and then the front blower would go on for a while blowing cold air and dropping the temperature a few degrees. At one point, the air conditioner came on full blast and pelted us with very cold, cold, air. The photos attached are chronological, and you can see it go from 14 back down to 12. It went from 12 down to 8 and 7 numerous times.

When I had this problem before, the service folks said that they replaced the heater motor. I later found out that she didn’t and only said she did to make me feel that they were doing work on my car. Service explained that the car might have got stuck in Range mode.

And draft still present.

I have had it in to have this looked at before. They told me they replaced the heating motor. Then they called and apologized and told me they are sorry that the service advisor told me that the motor was replaced because they didn't do any work on it at all. She just said that they replaced the part to make me feel better that they were looking in on the issue. I wasn't impressed :-(

Anyway, it's clinched my decision to ensure a new car is built. I'll update when I can on the process, timeline, etc.

image-5.png
image-1.png
image-3.png
image-4.png

Attachments

• image-2.png
    image-2.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 206
  • image.png
    image.png
    438.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I froze on my drive to Toronto this morning. I am NOT in range mode, nor have I turned range mode on at all since the first service done on my car a few weeks back. After heating the cabin on High for 15 minutes, I started my trip. 15 minutes in, it was still freezing inside. I opened up the iPhone app to check the internal temperature, and it was still only 4 degrees inside. I took a screen shot and it’s attached. 45 minutes into the trip and it was still only 8-12 degrees. I had the heat set to 31 degrees. I finally got it up to temperature after about an hour.

The heat would come on, it would heat up a tad, and then the front blower would go on for a while blowing cold air and dropping the temperature a few degrees. At one point, the air conditioner came on full blast and pelted us with very cold, cold, air. The photos attached are chronological, and you can see it go from 14 back down to 12. It went from 12 down to 8 and 7 numerous times.

When I had this problem before, the service folks said that they replaced the heater motor. I later found out that she didn’t and only said she did to make me feel that they were doing work on my car. Service explained that the car might have got stuck in Range mode.

And draft still present.

I have had it in to have this looked at before. They told me they replaced the heating motor. Then they called and apologized and told me they are sorry that the service advisor told me that the motor was replaced because they didn't do any work on it at all. She just said that they replaced the part to make me feel better that they were looking in on the issue. I wasn't impressed :-(

Anyway, it's clinched my decision to ensure a new car is built. I'll update when I can on the process, timeline, etc.

View attachment 42714View attachment 42709View attachment 42711View attachment 42712

Am I the only one who thinks those air current arrows look both blue AND red? I've never seen two color arrows before. Mine are always either red or blue... Might be a clue? Stupid question, but do you have the "TEMP SYNC" on so that driver and passenger have the same temperature setting?

Am I the only one who thinks those air current arrows look both blue AND red? I've never seen two color arrows before. Mine are always either red or blue... Might be a clue? Stupid question, but do you have the "TEMP SYNC" on so that driver and passenger have the same temperature setting?
Yes I do. Both driver and passenger have temps synched. Those arrows have always looked like that on my phone. Not the same for everyone? Wouldn't surprise me. This car seems to have Gremlins (the kind that make you really, really, cold!)

Last edited:
My arrows show bright RED when heating is on, and bright BLUE when cooling is on. The app seems to be confirming that the heater is not being turned on properly....

David

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of what I am seeing with the Application.

Screenshot_2014-02-06-11-17-50.png

Unfortunately this IMO is a bad design. This will happen when you have frameless windows. I had already started a thread on TMC about the triangular window draft, and while its been 90% remedied as someone noted in their service notes, its not gone. In addition I have a draft along the back edge of the driver and front passenger window along the B Pillar, and along the bottoms of the doors.

Unfortunately this IMO is a bad design. This will happen when you have frameless windows. I had already started a thread on TMC about the triangular window draft, and while its been 90% remedied as someone noted in their service notes, its not gone. In addition I have a draft along the back edge of the driver and front passenger window along the B Pillar, and along the bottoms of the doors.

Where is your thread? I'd like to read through it.

Tesla just called to tell me the cold air temperatures I experienced this morning are normal.
Does it take 30 minutes for anybody else's vehicle on this forum to reach a balmy 4 degrees in the cabin? 45 to reach 12?

Tesla is seriously killing me...

Ummm, after 30 mins (or whenever the pre-heating times out), My cabin went from -1.5C to ~25C on this past Monday night, it was ~-5C outside.
So no, I'd say something is wrong with your car.

edit: Time for you to take them up on a new car I guess!

Thanks for the info. I've had to sit and watch Tesla screw up since day 1 and I'm now just about finished with the entire process. I thought it had reached it's low point when I walked out to see the Service tech removing a part from the loaner and putting it on my car (and passing it off as new), but this is getting to be a bit much.

They said that the internal temperature reading on the iPhone app is a few degrees colder than in reality. When I said a few degrees still only gets the temperature after 1/2 hour up to 6 or 7 degrees, and then only up to 14 or 15 after 45 minutes. They explain everything away as normal, always, until I take the car back in and show them. Seeing is believing, I guess, which is why I shot the photos and sent them along.

I'm going to take them up on the new car. And hope beyond all hopes that it doesn't have issues. I really want this to work, because I love my car. But there is no way I'm going to go through this for however many years I plan on owning the car :-(

Ummm, after 30 mins (or whenever the pre-heating times out), My cabin went from -1.5C to ~25C on this past Monday night, it was ~-5C outside.
So no, I'd say something is wrong with your car.

edit: Time for you to take them up on a new car I guess!

Tesla just called to tell me the cold air temperatures I experienced this morning are normal.
Does it take 30 minutes for anybody else's vehicle on this forum to reach a balmy 4 degrees in the cabin? 45 to reach 12?

Tesla is seriously killing me...

At 30 minutes it should be downright tropical in the cabin. Something is clearly wrong with the HVAC controls.