Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drafty Cabin - Report issues here please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent a Ranger out to me today, to take care of a cracking noise in my passenger window (the housing for the door handle mechanism had come unstuck, and was hitting the window on the way up/down), as well as for the wind noise from the passenger triangle. The wind noise had gotten obnoxiously worse *after* my annual service, where new foam and tape was installed under the brightwork (I believe). After several adjustment trials, the Ranger Kevin was able to *completely* eliminate all wind noise from the front passenger triangle! For what it's worth, we think the adjustment that fixed it was to ensure both the triangle and passenger window are flush with each other. Before the fix, the passenger window stuck out 1-2mm beyond the triangle glass, creating a "lip" which caused the wind noise. The drivers side had both glass surfaces flush, and was noiseless. We adjusted the passenger side to be the same, and it worked!

Seen from above, as if you were looking down on an open door:

Triangle ------>Passenger Window
Before: ____ ------------------------------------- Bad wind noise

After: ____ _____________________________ No wind noise!

We tried several adjustments of the spacing between the two windows, and they did not affect the noise as we had hoped. So glad this is fixed, my car is now dead silent!!!

Thanks you Columbus SC, and Kevin the Ranger!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the Ranger description from the Service Order:

Concern: Customer states: air coming up through passenger front door. Seems to be coming
from small quarter window.

Cause: Right front quarter glass was set in too far. This caused the right front sliding window
to stick out and catch wind, causing excessive wind noise.

Correction: Interior NVH General Diagnosis
Applied foam tape to door panel A pillar area according to service bulletin. Performed on
both front doors. Adjusted front right door quarter glass upwards slightly. Test drove and
wind noise was still present. Adjusted glass as much toward the rear of the vehicle as
possible and test drove. Still wind noise. Compared both quarter glass pieces and notices
passenger side was set in, allowing the sliding window to catch air and create wind noise.
Added shims to the upper rear most bolt to adjust the glass outward, away from the
vehicle. This created a more flush setting with the sliding glass and canceled the
excessive wind noise.

Outside temp 18 F with gusting winds and snow.

Sounds like there are a couple of things going on here: misaligned glass and air ingress into the door cavity. Mine is definitely the latter. When I went through the car was the other day, as the dryer/blower went past the door handles I got a huge gush of air coming out every crack and seam in the door panels as I sat there.

MKnox, I was shocked at the degree of adjustment freedom on both windows, when the door panels were off...close to a cm of movement possible. I would suspect based on this that the two issues are closely related.

In my case, though, I'm getting nothing from the glass to door seal area. If I'm driving in a sidewind (or going through carwash blowers) air comes rushing in from every crevice on the door panel, including around the interior door handle and in the gaps along the edges by the bottom of the window.

The wind noise on mine got fixed a few months back. I thought that it came back, but it turned out to be tire noise that just sounded like wind noise because when I drove on some very smooth roads it was totally silent (isn't really cold enough here for me to experience the cold feet problem).

Quick update - picking up new vehicle today, replacement for my troubled vehicle. And none too soon. Needed a ranger to drive a 6 hr. round trip to work on my Model S while down south. Hoping for a new experience after today.

I'll check out any draft issues and report back here. I'm hopeful there will be none :)

Quick update - picking up new vehicle today, replacement for my troubled vehicle. And none too soon. Needed a ranger to drive a 6 hr. round trip to work on my Model S while down south. Hoping for a new experience after today.

I'll check out any draft issues and report back here. I'm hopeful there will be none :)

Am I missing something? Did Tesla replace your car because of issues you have had?