TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drag Coefficient with windows open?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by tdiggity, Oct 21, 2012.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Does anyone know how the drag coefficient of cars (or the model s specifically) changes with the windows open? Sure, there are a lot of combinations, but for simplicity sake, let's assume this:

Drag with windows closed = 0.24
    Drag with driver+passenger window cracked open
    Drag with driver+passenger windows fully open
    Drag with all windows open

And lastly, what would the effect be on mileage? I'm in California with relatively nice weather, and so I want to know if I can go further if I opt to open the windows rather than using the air conditioning.

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

On nice days, I usually just run the vent, bringing in fresh air but without the additional noise or drag of opening a window. (Yes, on the Model S you can turn off the A/C while leaving the fans running.)

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Ditto. I've heard it said that it is more efficient to use a/c with windows up than no a/c and windows down on the highway, but the reverse is true in the city.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

A lot depends on the car and what speed "highway speed" is. Generally, whether it's more efficient or not, over about 55 mph tends to be too noisy with the windows open--even if they're only open a few cm.

5. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

An interesting test would be if one of the Model S owners put the car on cruise control, and a passenger would write down (on a long even stretch of road) the Wh/miles display under various conditions...

6. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

naah, they'd be too busy griping to the driver until s/he turned the AC back on :rolleyes: