TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drag race P85D vs. P85+

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by electrish, Sep 13, 2015.

1. electrish

electrish I Sing the Body Electric

Here is an interesting comparison of the P85D and the P85+ from Australia:

2015 Tesla Model S P85D Review | CarAdvice

Note how the P85D demolishes the P85+ early on, but later the difference seems to rapidly diminish.
    I wonder if the P85D slowed down or if they were still both going full throttle.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Looks just about like this:

Tesla Model S P85D (691HP) vs P85 (415HP) 35 MPH Roll Race - YouTube

Note, if you deplete both cars to 60% and then start from a 50 MPH roll, they will pull at the same rate. If both are at a higher but equal SOC, the P85D will pull faster. The higher the SOCs the faster it will pull. A 90% charge on both will look like both of these videos.

3. jpet

jpet Jan P.

Correct, if you put both cars on a race track and start doing laps, you will quickly notice that there's no real difference between the two. I did around 25 hi speed laps yesterday and I could not overtake a P85 with my P85D. If you compare the advertised hp on Tesla's website, you are made to believe the P85D has around 50% more power. On a dragstrip the P85D is the fastest because you can do the run when it's cold and at near 100% SoC. It is a whole different story once you get both cars on a race track at speeds of around 100 mph. I assume upping the 1300A max draw from the battery to 1500A will make the P85D shine the way it was supposed to. I am on the ludicrous list. :wink:

4. electrish

electrish I Sing the Body Electric

Report back after you get Ludicrous.
    I would assume that many people, including myself, are not that much interested in getting to 60 mph 0.3 seconds faster, but in having more horsepower to pass at highway speeds.

5. jpet

jpet Jan P.

We agree. Don't know when we will get the Ludicrous upgrade however. Maybe I have a chance to ask Elon next week.

6. DoubleDownOn9

DoubleDownOn9 Member

I'm sure this has been asked but can the P85 be upgraded to get the new fuse too? Then it would be an interesting P85D vs. P85 race.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

In the P85, I don't believe the inverter's putting out enough continuous power for the fuse to be the bottleneck.

8. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

I'd love to see a drag race between the P85D and 85D, and even P85 vs 85D. Considering the 85D is faster than the P85 from a stop, I'd love to see rolling acceleration between all three of them.

9. jpet

jpet Jan P.

I'd love to see a race between a P85D and a 85D on a race track. The P85D will kill the 85D on a drag strip, that's for sure. But, what happens if both cars start chasing eachother lap after lap at high speed? I really have no idea which car would win. They have a completely different set of motors and the P85D quickly gets power limited at high speed. Don't know if the 85D would be able to beat the P85D in those circumstances. It's a pitty no 85D owner showed up at the track last Sunday. We had 2 P85Ds and a lot of P85s but no 85D yet. Maybe next time...

10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Sure would be nice to do a drag with the P90D Insane vs P90D Ludicrous from 0 and rolling 30 ...
    One day it will happen... just hope it happens BEFORE I order.