Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drag Racing with Model 3 Performance - switch to 18 inches wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard people say that the Model 3 Performance can shave 0.2 - 0.3 seconds in the quarter mile by switching to 18 inch wheels. Does anyone have experience with this? This is a Performance version, so the stock 18's won't clear the calipers, any suggestions for wheels and tire sizes?

The shorter diameter of the wheels+tires could also play a role in faster 1/4 mile times. You'd get faster acceleration but lower top speed. Plenty of options for 18s that fit M3P. Somebody compiled a list of options that fit: Tesla Model 3 Performance 18" Wheels
Nice list, but the prices for the ones I purchased (Fast Wheels EV01+) are old/low. They are quite a bit more expensive now...

I'd think you'd have more benefits from stripping the car for weight. Back seat? Don't need that. Passenger seat? Don't need that. Frunk liner. Don't need that. Center console? Don't need that. Floor mats? Don't need those! rear seatbacks? not in my car! Every 100lbs is like 10 free HP?!

@mpgxsvcd reported 0.08s improvement when shaving around 10lb per corner.

One other guy shaved around 450lb total (basically a racing seat inside a shiny aluminum cabin) and ran in the 10.7x, but the above M3P driver is running the fastest times of anything remotely Street able.

By my estimation, removing around 300-350lb could get a M3P to crack a 10.99.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd