Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drag Strip Mode - Details Wanted - Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reaching out in the hopes of understanding the details of what the Model S Plaid does when entering Drag Strip Mode.

The battery pack is preconditioned to optimize power output - this one I understand.

A friend shared that in addition to the temperature optimization of the battery pack, the motors are warmed. To me, this is counterintuitive. I thought efficiency / power output of electric motors were greater when they were cold (vs. warm).

Does anyone know what the car does when we swtich into Drag Strip Mode?

Thank you,
Pete (the newbee Tesla owner)

It doesn't preheat motors, it just uses high frequency motors oscillation to generate heat that afterwards is spread by cooling system into battery pack. In drag mode it also shifts center of gravity down and forward (by lowering front suspension) to decrease weight transfer.

And temporary resets predicted tire traction limits with expectation of perfect traction surface. If actual traction is not perfect afterwards, it only ends up losing time, because now it slips and readjusts torque limits on the fly. So this mode really should be used only on a sticky prepped surface with warmed up tires.

Thank you Mash. That makes more sense (no need to preheat the motors). Impressive that instead of wasting the heat from the motors they actual capture and use the heat, assuming when needed.

I'm confused about Drag Strip mode. I understand the part about setting traction limits, again thanks for the details. What confuses me is not to use this mode for spirited driving. I thought one obtains max performance from a Model S plaid when the car was placed in Drag mode vs say regular Plaid mode?

Thanks again

Thank you Mash. That makes more sense (no need to preheat the motors). Impressive that instead of wasting the heat from the motors they actual capture and use the heat, assuming when needed.

I'm confused about Drag Strip mode. I understand the part about setting traction limits, again thanks for the details. What confuses me is not to use this mode for spirited driving. I thought one obtains max performance from a Model S plaid when the car was placed in Drag mode vs say regular Plaid mode?

Thanks again
Preheating battery certainly increases maximum power, but not a lot. But if torque limits are reset and you still on the regular pavement - you would lose a time due to the slip. Drag Strip mode is really only for drag strips. You can see stats from others - on a regular pavement it's actually slower.

Reactions: Khanquer