TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Drag Strips

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Black/Black MS, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Black/Black MS

Who all has taken their car out on a drag strip? I'm itching to go do some ludicrous runs but don't even know where to begin.

I'm in So Cal and there's a reasonably close drag strip in Pomona, but they don't appear to have a website and I don't know if they have days for amateurs or if it's pro races only.

Any information from someone who has done this before would be appreciated.

2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I haven't done it with my Tesla, but have in my other cars in the past. Most drag strips have a night where anyone can bring their car and race. You need to figure out how to call the drag strip if they don't have a website and get information from them on if and when they have a night for street cars, and what the requirements are.

The strips I used to go to required you to have a helmet if you were going faster than 14.00 and a roll cage if you were faster than 11.00, although I think there might have been an exception for the roll cage if your car was unmodified. The helmet had to meet certain specs, and motorcycle helmets were not the right kind of helmet. You can get all that info from the drag strip though.

When you go, you usually just get in line and wait your turn, then pull up to the starting lights slowly until you trip the staging beam. There is usually someone there directing you on where to stop. Then once both cars are staged the lights will count down and you go on green.

Note that your auto insurance most likely does not cover any accidents that occur on a racetrack, so if you wreck or the other guy loses control and hits you the repairs are likely going to have to come out of your pocket.

• Informative x 1
  3. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

• Like x 1
  4. McRat

McRat Active Member

Pretty much all that is left for 1/4 runs in SoCal. Street Legals have less noise, but can get crowded. In SoCal we used to be able to run 4-5 times per week with street cars, now, 1-3 times a month.

We used to have Pomona, LACR, Carlsbad, and CalSpeedway (AutoClub). Pomona shut down due to noise petition, but still allows Top Fuel to run there, Carlsbad sold the land, LACR sold off the drag area, and for a while CalSpeedway was closed due to a noise lawsuit.

The NHRA has done little to save our dragstrips. Strict sound testing could have helped, but NHRA makes their money on Pro events so the little guy isn't a big concern.

The birthplace of drag racing is now on life support, and will soon be dead.

• Like x 1
  5. Black/Black MS