Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yak,
I do not think missing a 1/4 mile time for the first time ever is moving forward. If anything, they've got this one in reverse in a bad way (which will result in sideways if it turns out to be true).
Has any of the usual car magazines in the US actually tested the P90DL? Motor Trend tested the P85D almost before it was launched, But I cannot remember seeing any major tests this time around.. Kind of strange and very not Tesla-like...

Anyone in the WPB area with a Vbox? I just checked the price on Ebay and am not interested in paying over $400 to scratch a curiosity itch. If there is someone local, I would like to get the Service Center's demo and confirm its performance as another data point.

Leaving aside for the moment the question of the P90D with Ludicrous quarter mile time, what about looking at 50-70 and 60-80 times, and seeing how those compare to P85D times? I think it would be interesting to see those times for the P90D with Ludicrous and the P85D now, and then to compare those to the P85D upgrade to Ludicrous times when the upgraded cars are on the streets.

Leaving aside for the moment the question of the P90D with Ludicrous quarter mile time, what about looking at 50-70 and 60-80 times, and seeing how those compare to P85D times? I think it would be interesting to see those times for the P90D with Ludicrous and the P85D now, and then to compare those to the P85D upgrade to Ludicrous times when the upgraded cars are on the streets.

0-60/30-50/50-70 comparitive times for 70D/85D/P85D

I've been updating it as I've seen better numbers

Thanks, Pete.

So we'll have a pretty good resource and way to compare things once the first updated P85Ds are out, assuming some of those blank boxes get filled in. (I'm sure they will, by you and others.)

I'm hoping to find some time to organize a bunch of people to go to the track and get a bunch of numbers all at once for each model. It's harder to do a rolling 50-70, but we can at least get a numbers for each from 0 and maybe have a separate table for it so it's clear

I don't see how they're going to up the P90DL performance more unless the 1/4 mile times are short because it's putting out significantly less than 456KW after it hits it's peak at 48 MPH.

On the P85D, if the voltage drop is only down to 320 volts, the P85D would peak at 416KW at 1300 amps which is exactly what we get. If we don't drop below that at 1500 amps then we could get 480KW in theory from a pack that has only logged 456KW. But I'm pretty sure at that much higher amperage, the voltage drop will be more so it's unlikely that there's a full 24KW left.

Still the conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if they're intentionally lower output of the P90DL until all the P85D upgrades are done so that it isn't obvious that there's truly a much bigger difference in performance between the two.

That said, I've said and I still think a 5000 lb car that has monster torque will still need 750 hp to make a 10.9 second 1/4 mile.

That said, I've said and I still think a 5000 lb car that has monster torque will still need 750 hp to make a 10.9 second 1/4 mile.
I've set out to prove you wrong, but I proved you more than right.
Assuming constant acceleration that will result in minimum max power needed I get 759 HP as minimum needed for 10.9 run of 5000 pound vehicle+driver. 759HP is 567kW. At 1500A max that results in 378V needed for 10,9 seconds straight.
As power cannot be constant from 0, the max number will have to be even a bit higher.

I'd say that writing on the wall is flashing in red :(

Maybe, but rising the limit from 1300A to 1500A was justified by fuse being more exact and fast i.e. leaving less gray area. On the other hand, what is 1500A for 85 battery, is 1590A for 90 kWh battery.

One wishful thinking could be that they have managed to do it with prototypes, but now they are ironing out all pesky details on different conditions of when, how and how many times they can afford to do it. It sucks if cars from the start don't have some feature, it sucks double if they have it from the start and is later taken away (lowering at high speeds any one?).

8 year warranty needs some statistical data.

As tesla said: you need minimum 90% battery. At 90% the internal resistance is at it lowest. 21" wheels? Try the lighter 19"(big difference in acceleration). Panorama roof is like having a adult person in your car.
AC must be turnd off etc etc...

I'm hoping to find some time to organize a bunch of people to go to the track and get a bunch of numbers all at once for each model. It's harder to do a rolling 50-70, but we can at least get a numbers for each from 0 and maybe have a separate table for it so it's clear

That sounds like fun. Count me in! Needs to be close to a supercharger if all cars need to be close to max charge.

That sounds like fun. Count me in! Needs to be close to a supercharger if all cars need to be close to max charge.

Sonoma Raceway is 18.3mi away from the Petaluma SC. Best times are probably going to be around 85-90 SOC. For me charging to 100%, 18mi brings me close to 90%.

They have a Wednesday night Drag event, but they also do private events. I'll contact them and maybe we can have a TMC event where Bay Area members can all meet up. It might cost money, but if we get enough people it might be reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Just sent the email to find out. It looks like it might require 6-12 months notice, but says sometimes dates become available sooner. Also there will be a cost because they have to have emergency crews, facility people, etc. I'll update when I find out more.

Mainly thinking this because driving up to Sonoma on a Wednesday night and sitting in a pile of cars sounds painful... at least coming from the south bay.

Assuming constant acceleration that will result in minimum max power needed I get 759 HP as minimum needed for 10.9 run of 5000 pound vehicle+driver.

This sounded wrong so I used the googles to remind me that s = 1/2at^2. That says at a constant acceleration of 1.1G's you would do the 1/4 mile in 8.64 seconds. Ok, so how much constant acceleration would it take to hit the 1/4 in 10.9? ~0.68G's. Of course We know we get 1.1G's at launch, so we can taper more at the end and still hit the time. I think all it would take is a little more acceleration at the beginning.