Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously doubting that 0.4 seconds better than 11.3 can be done simply with vehicle configuration. The biggest possible weight reduction would be having the car race without a driver. Which would have sounded completely ridiculous if it wasn't a Tesla. But I don't see the car being 20% faster to 155 while only being .5 seconds quicker than insane mode in the quarter. Unless 20% baseline is 85D.

edit - no I'm wrong baseline says "standard Model S Performance". That still leaves P85 vs P85D though.

Pretty sure the 'standard Model S perf' is now considered a P85D - there is no such thing as a P85 if you are buying a new Tesla

11.4 to 10.9 is an eternity in the drag racing world. I'm beginning to think we really do have a handle on the real world performance of the P90DL. Tesla is going to need to explain this one and, unlike the hp JB blog, there really is nothing to say but it does not do what we said and this is what we are going to do about it.

I probably have larger than normal attachments given my hobbies but I am at a loss to understand who would really want to go 155 mph in a Model S (especially with anything but + suspension)? The debris field for a 5K lb car at that speed is phenomenal.

How long can you maintain 155mph in your car, starting with an essentially full charge?
Not for long. About 20 seconds before it goes down to about 145 mph. I use kph so not exactly sure about the mph. But the speed numbers get red color above 145 mph (235 kph) so the speed above that is only for passing. I have not tried how long at 145 mph but think it should be able to hold that speed to where the battery starts to get empty.

There are things that can be done (smaller rims, lower pressure) and there are things that may not be done.
It should not be hard to understand the difference.

It is a tradeoff- how much time one looses at lower speed versus how much time one losses at higher speeds.
P90D has enough grip, so stronger acceleration at start will help lose less time at lower speeds.
Hawing two motors to output all it has, motor power is not limiting factor at higher speeds (a single motor would be, because it drops in power).
So, sooner the car gets into max power zone, faster the time will be.
Even at 120mph, it will still output max (battery) power, so having smaller tire diamater wont affect it negatively.

Just saying it is worth trying ...

I'm sure if the time is legit that Tesla measured it with a stock P90DL with with of the stock wheel combinations available for order.

- - - Updated - - -

It's close. This is the 2.81s run (3.07 without rollout). Best I got for longitudinal Gs was 1.09

View attachment 96741

Best time I got was actually right around 85%.

Yes, it is close. I just wanted to point out that it isn't from 0 MPH. More importantly, the point I wanted to make but it was going to be difficult from my smart phone while at Ren Faire yesterday is that it's not even remotely close to 1 g through the 1/4 mile.

CRO_Cars_Hellcat_Chart_06-15.png

With the P85D, by the time 7.7 roles around, the g's are already down to 0.3. By the time the 1/4 mile comes around, it's down to 0.2 g's. I the P90DL holds it's 10% 456KW power increase, it would 0.22 g's by the time the 1/4 mile comes around. However, with the time slips showing the same exit speeds as the P85D, it appears that there's boost in power early on front loading the run but then in order to not have a faster exist speed, it he P90DL would actually have to be acceleration slower than the P85D at the higher speeds.

If we're only seeing 3 tenths off the 1/4 mile and 3 tenths improvement 0-60, then it appears there's no improvement above 60 MPH. But you did log 450+ KW after 60 MPH, right, so there must be an improvement above 60 MPH. Something isn't adding up.

The original point I was trying to make is that the average g force through the 1/4 mile run will be less than 1/2 g.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, just went back and you looked again at what you posted in the Happy Birthday thread and the table stops at 60 MPH where it was 450KW. Did you ever collect any "power" data beyond say to 80 MPH or more?

I have a 449kW and a 448kW log at 76MPH on completely different days, so it's at least holding to that point. Faster than that I don't have good numbers but I so rarely travel that speed that either it wasn't logged or the battery was likely much lower.

Sadly most of the time VisibleTesla has large gaps in recording when I'm accelerating quickly and I'm not about to use PowerTools every time I drive!