Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they ever specify at what altitude you're supposed to be able to hit these numbers? ...higher altitudes the less dense air should have a noticeable effect on Cd, allowing for faster times.

I ran my P85D at Bandimere in Colorado. The track elevation is 5,800 ft, but the temperature and pressure that day put the altitude density at 8,500 ft. My times were inline with other P85Ds. The altitude did not appear to affect my 1/4 mile time or speed.

I ran a 11.599 at 115.34 mph
http://www.dragtimes.com/Tesla--Model-S-Drag-Racing.html

I ran my P85D at Bandimere in Colorado. The track elevation is 5,800 ft, but the temperature and pressure that day put the altitude density at 8,500 ft. My times were inline with other P85Ds. The altitude did not appear to affect my 1/4 mile time or speed.

I ran a 11.599 at 115.34 mph
http://www.dragtimes.com/Tesla--Model-S-Drag-Racing.html
Thanks, very cool. Makes sense because the issue with ICE at altitude is with the density of air entering an engine, we obviously don't have that concern.

It didn't specify on at all on the order page at first. But the main product page:

Model S | Tesla Motors

Still says P85D 0-60 2.8 seconds with Ludicrous speed upgrade. The 1/4 miles says 10.9 with Ludicrous AND range. Since the only way to get Ludicrous only without the range upgrade is on an upgraded P85D, they're still claiming 3 tenths off for the the P85D with Ludicrous.

It is confusing. Both sites, the Model S build and price order page and the Ludicrous speed for P85D order page, mention a 10% power increase. Which supposedly gets you to 10.9 seconds in the quarter for the P90D, but apparently only a 2 tenths imptovement in current quarter mile capabilities for the P85D.

2015 Tesla Model S P90D w/Ludicrous Upgrade First Test

1/4 mile is at 10.9 seconds at 122.7 mph with a 0-60 of 2.6 seconds.
It also says curb weight is 4689 lbs, which is a lot lower than previous estimates (anyone care to take their P90D to a scale?). And 0-100 is under 7 seconds (lower than the 7.7 dragtimes got).

Other than saying the car was fully charged during the test, there is no mention of anything special. I wonder if this is going to another one of those firmware update things.

Also, if it can do 2.6 seconds with rollout, I can see why they didn't bother to change their "roll-out" advertising on the website.

Last edited:
" With a full charge, the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds, hitting 122.7 mph."

If it can not be reproduced by real owners in the wild, there is noting reliable about it.
I know Ferrari does press cars but can someone explain why owners are getting mid 11s while MT sees repeatable reliable high 10s????????

" With a full charge, the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds, hitting 122.7 mph."

If it can not be reproduced by real owners in the wild, there is noting reliable about it.
I know Ferrari does press cars but can someone explain why owners are getting mid 11s while MT sees repeatable reliable high 10s????????

Agreed. Nobody else can get remotely close to that. Was this an actual test or are they repeating specs and just getting them wrong?
Did they get a hot car delivered by Tesla?
Did 7.0 add power that nobody has noticed yet?
Has anyone any vbox measurements on their P90D+L since 7.0? Has anyone measured REST "power" on their P90D+L with 7.0?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone with a P90D+L check the REST "power" field and see if it exceeds 456KW now? The fuse should allow 480KW with the expected voltage drop.

Agreed. Nobody else can get remotely close to that. Was this an actual test or are they repeating specs and just getting them wrong?
Has anyone any vbox measurements on their P90D+L since 7.0? Has anyone measured REST "power" on their P90D+L with 7.0?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone with a P90D+L check the REST "power" field and see if it exceeds 456KW now? The fuse should allow 480KW with the expected voltage drop.

Two things make me think they did the tests themselves, the words "reliably" and the trap speed, which I don't think we've ever seen before.

I would hope it's not a press car shenanigan like what Ferrari does, but rather something update related (as sorka puts).

I do note that the car is far lighter than the previous weight estimate for the P85D (4689 lbs vs 4936lbs, a 247 lb difference). Has anyone weighed their P90D or P85D recently?

I think they're just incorrectly quoting the curb weight of the S85. Even the 85D is quoted at 4830 lbs.

Could the new battery be several hundred lbs lighter???? If so could that be the source of the "almost" comment from Elon in the original press conference?

- - - Updated - - -

Two things make me think they did the tests themselves, the words "reliably" and the trap speed, which I don't think we've ever seen before.

Not lost upon me but something doesn't add up unless it was a "hot car" delivered directly by Tesla or 7.0 has upped the power but nobody has measured it through actual performance or REST power reported by the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't check power for a bit. Roads are wet (I spun the wheels at 40mph last night) and I'm swamped.

I would hope it's not a press car shenanigan like what Ferrari does, but rather something update related (as sorka puts).

I do note that the car is far lighter than the previous weight estimate for the P85D (4689 lbs vs 4936lbs, a 247 lb difference). Has anyone weighed their P90D or P85D recently?

I wouldn't be surprised if curb weight is fully loaded, which means pano roof. As I said in another post, the MB pano roof added ~200lb years ago. If you look at comparisons of 1/4 mile calculators they indicate that each 100lb is like 0.8s difference. I don't know the weight of the people that did the 1/4 tests, but Tesla tests with a medium size driver, so probably 160ish. So you're looking at probably a 300lb difference and we had 11.3s 1/4 mile times posted.

Agreed.

I want to see a private owner get these type results.