Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't the MT car on 21 inch wheels? Aren't 19 the inch wheels better for this kind of speed testing, due to their lower weight? In other words, if the MT results are to be believed, wouldn't they have been even better, all other things being equal, if they had run on 19 inch wheels?

We really need to put the weight issue to bed. Perhaps fiks wants to vbox my PD for a comparison. It is without pano and has 10 lb per corner less in rim weight along with stickier tires yet I doubt it will be much faster than a standard P85D. As a percentage, 100 lbs on a 5k lb car simply is not that big a deal.

Take 100 lbs off of 5000 lb is not the same as taking 100 lbs off of 200 lbs :) The starting point really does matter.

Since the P85D is supposed to traction limited to about 30 mph, and the P90D+L is supposed to be traction limited to 60 mph or so, could this come down to the tires and track? The tire temperature, the tire wear, the pavement traction, etc?

Could MT have disabled traction control and that could make the difference?

You bring up something very interesting. 6.9s to 100 - 2.6s to 60 = 4.3s 60 to 100. That is a huge improvement over the high-4 to 5 second 60 to 100 times (not on a downslope, not at high altitude) I've seen for the P90D so far. The fastest competitive German sedans like the RS7 do it in 4.5. So that shows that 1) Tesla's weak performance at passing speeds is fixed, and 2) the MT car really was way off the charts vs. P90Ds out there in the field.

Good points.

Now you you guys really have me wondering what's going on.

i don't know. Maybe they've got these front and rear motors synced up and working differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the P85D is supposed to traction limited to about 30 mph, and the P90D+L is supposed to be traction limited to 60 mph or so, could this come down to the tires and track? The tire temperature, the tire wear, the pavement traction, etc?

Could MT have disabled traction control and that could make the difference?

Look at the comments by sorka and sillydriver.

For or the kind of improvement they're describing, additional power would have been needed.

Last edited:
I wish there would be some kind of way Tesla could explain its customers this discrepancy and tell if there is some solution coming. Like if there would be some kind of electronic communication network, which could send message. Or even better, if there would be some kind of channel for company's CEO to directly post information. Yes I know, sounds Sci Fi, but maybe some day!

Made 20 passes at the drag strip yesterday in my P90D Ludicrous. The car consistently ran 11.4-11.5 at around 115 mph. Of course, I had the "Max Battery Power" setting selected. With a full-sized passenger the car slowed to 11.6. I showed up at the track with 96% charge. Ater 20 runs it was down to 48%, but still running 11.6 with passengers. Reaction times were almost always under 0.2 sec, and many were under 0.1 sec, so the car steps out fast. Zero red lights. This was my first time to a drag strip, and the Tesla makes it so easy! No way is the car going to run 10.9 unless Elon sends out an Absurdly Dangerous mode.

Many of the vids from the day are in the Video section of this forum.

BR,

Cheers.... Here is to Absurdly Dangerous mode as I believe it is on its way via an OTA update. Please keep us posted if I am correct as I would love to see some back to back on the same car.
Tesla better deliver that OTA update soon. The current revolt concerning the restated HP specs has valid arguments on both sides, but 1/4 mile ETs are a clearly-defined measurement easily verified on standardized drag strip timer clocks, all with one-foot rollout. ETs are not an invisible parameter like HP. If Tesla fails to deliver 10.9 in the wild, the revolt will be fully justified.

I like how Tesla now clearly states the HP specs, but I wish it also clearly stated the Acceleration specs. While they did a good job of clarifying their HP specs, their Acceleration specs went backwards. 1/4 mile ETs are not included in their new Spec table, which worried me until I saw that the 10.9 was still in the Design Studio.

I would like to see Tesla's Spec table include everything that's on a drag strip time slip- 60 ft, 330 ft, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times and trap speed. These measurements are are the nearest thing we have to a gold standard for Acceleration and they are easily verifiable without expensive instrumentation.

Made 20 passes at the drag strip yesterday in my P90D Ludicrous. The car consistently ran 11.4-11.5 at around 115 mph. Of course, I had the "Max Battery Power" setting selected. With a full-sized passenger the car slowed to 11.6. I showed up at the track with 96% charge. Ater 20 runs it was down to 48%, but still running 11.6 with passengers. Reaction times were almost always under 0.2 sec, and many were under 0.1 sec, so the car steps out fast. Zero red lights. This was my first time to a drag strip, and the Tesla makes it so easy! No way is the car going to run 10.9 unless Elon sends out an Absurdly Dangerous mode.

Well, lets hope that they get some kind of an update out there soon, because those numbers are nowhere near 10.9 and 122.xx

Did you notice if there was a difference in your ET on runs when the Max Battery Power indicated "Ready" compared to runs when it indicated "Preparing"?

Time slips

- - - Updated - - -

All runs were performed in "Ready!" and never dropped to preparing at any point during the day.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    835.8 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    774.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    933 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 96
I guess this means it doesn't matter what rims/tires you wear. I suspect our Ludicrous mode is really Insane mode.

I sure do hope not. My deposit is down for the upgrade.

I'm hoping that some sort of update is in the pipeline for Ludicrous.

But I have to admit that it is concerning to see that the cars have been run in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and Sacramento, California, and the best time thus far is 11.384 and the fastest trap speed thus far is around 117.xx mph.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Ludicrous mode that we are currently seeing in owner cars, is just a slightly stronger version of the current Insane mode found in the P85D. It would be very interesting to see if there are any P90D Insane times out there to see how they compare with the P90D times that have been obtained thus far.

There are some 60ft times which are in the 1.6xx range and very good. So it's looking like the right tire pressures are selected.

Last edited:
but only if performance is being limited on a power basis...... All the results are so incredibly close that it would seem there is an acceleration component to the limit in addition to a simple battery power control element. Pure WAG on my part but acceleration or wheel speed limiting are the only things I can think of that will produce such repeatable results in such different conditions.

DEE,
I suspect the Ds are not as close to the tire limits as we might think. Those 60 foot times are repeatable as well which makes me think the car is not on the hairy edge of traction. My P+ used to leave "bar code" marks where power was being limited on slip of the rear wheels. My PD never leaves a mark and, believe me, I've tried :) More Tesla magic afforded by the integration of multiple sensors I suspect.