Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DragTimes P90D Ludicrous launch mode test

JonG

Banned
Aug 16, 2015
UK
I love posts that say nothing but link to another site.

To save people the bother, the difference is 0.04s to 60 mph.

The practicality of using it is zero. My money is owners will use it twice to try it and then never use it again.

eclipxe

Aug 31, 2015
CA
I love posts that say nothing but link to another site.

To save people the bother, the difference is 0.04s to 60 mph.

The practicality of using it is zero. My money is owners will use it twice to try it and then never use it again.

It's not just any site, it's dragtimes and we're lucky to have Brooks here on the forum testing and sharing data with us.

musicious

Apr 11, 2015
Wheeling, IL
Was max battery 'ready' for the test in launch mode? what was the battery %? If you did back to back tests with no time for max battery mode to become ready again, which was done first and did you just enable right before the test or let it get to ready status? What was the temperature outside and what wheels do you have?

Before assuming one test is definitive of how it will always perform, I think it would be good to see how it performs in various conditions.

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
Interestingly the 0-100 mph is 0.1 second difference and 1/4 mile improved 0.06 seconds. Basically the contribution is as expected, ~0.1 seconds off the launch (should address the roll-out complaints somewhat) but still a ways off from 10.9 seconds.

The only thing to control for is if max battery power is "ready" and SOC.

_TTT_

May 19, 2015
US
Well that's a minute improvement but still falls well short of the [email protected] that Motor Trend achieved with the car Tesla provided them.

Look no further than the 0-100mph times to see that something is really fishy:

0-100mph

DragTimes: 7.46s
Motor Trend: "Keep it buried, and you'll hit 100mph in fewer than 7 seconds."

That's a huge difference....

apacheguy

S Sig #255
Oct 21, 2012
So Cal
Is there a reason the video plays over two minutes? The 0-60 is at the end and only took a few seconds to display the entire sequence.

Mar 11, 2010
Humboldt/Los Altos
ok, pretty light, & a bit pricey (for me :wink:) nice wheels
but 5lbs lighter isn't much, the 'crappy' steel MRR 19"s I had were 6.5 lb lighter all around.
Aluminum CF5V Forgestar 19"s I use are 15.5 lb lighter in the front and 10.5 in the rear, not sure how much difference that makes in straight line accel?

I also found that when I ran a ~2" smaller diameter 19" (but staggered) wheel vs a ~identical P85 w/ stock 21"s we matched time slips 100%...thought that was odd, of course we were both traction limited at the launch on our strip

AWDtsla

Mar 3, 2013
NE
I also found that when I ran a ~2" smaller diameter 19" (but staggered) wheel vs a ~identical P85 w/ stock 21"s we matched time slips 100%...thought that was odd, of course we were both traction limited at the launch on our strip

If they are identically sized, you should be able to get more contact patch by deflating the 19... I have no plans to go above 19 in this car. Staggered 19's, sure.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
Maybe the entire intention of this "mode" is to make it easier for people to have consistent times.

I do kind of laugh at this entire thing because what I really liked about the Tesla is there wasn't some special sequence you had to go through for "launch control".

You just nailed the throttle.

Luckily I have the 70D, and with that all you do is nail the throttle. There is no launch control. :)

edo

Jul 23, 2008
Worth noting, if the car shown in the Dragtimes article is the car driven, it has the Panoramic Roof, which hits the 1/4 mile time pretty hard on it's own.

AWDtsla

Mar 3, 2013
NE
Maybe the entire intention of this "mode" is to make it easier for people to have consistent times.

I do kind of laugh at this entire thing because what I really liked about the Tesla is there wasn't some special sequence you had to go through for "launch control".

You just nailed the throttle.

Luckily I have the 70D, and with that all you do is nail the throttle. There is no launch control. :)

If they were doing it right it would be an option, and all you have to do is double foot it. Sounds like the lawyers are involved at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Worth noting, if the car shown in the Dragtimes article is the car driven, it has the Panoramic Roof, which hits the 1/4 mile time pretty hard on it's own.

hard source?

JonG

Banned
Aug 16, 2015
UK
If they were doing it right it would be an option, and all you have to do is double foot it. Sounds like the lawyers are involved at this point.
I think the marketing department is involved more then legal given its not really any different to just flexing your right foot.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC