TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

DragTimes P90D Ludicrous launch mode test

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by fiksegts, Dec 15, 2015.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

#1 fiksegts, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. JonG

JonG Member

I love posts that say nothing but link to another site.

To save people the bother, the difference is 0.04s to 60 mph.

The practicality of using it is zero. My money is owners will use it twice to try it and then never use it again.

3. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

It's not just any site, it's dragtimes and we're lucky to have Brooks here on the forum testing and sharing data with us.

4. musicious

musicious Member

Was max battery 'ready' for the test in launch mode? what was the battery %? If you did back to back tests with no time for max battery mode to become ready again, which was done first and did you just enable right before the test or let it get to ready status? What was the temperature outside and what wheels do you have?

Before assuming one test is definitive of how it will always perform, I think it would be good to see how it performs in various conditions.

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Interestingly the 0-100 mph is 0.1 second difference and 1/4 mile improved 0.06 seconds. Basically the contribution is as expected, ~0.1 seconds off the launch (should address the roll-out complaints somewhat) but still a ways off from 10.9 seconds.

The only thing to control for is if max battery power is "ready" and SOC.

6. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

7. _TTT_

_TTT_ Member

Well that's a minute improvement but still falls well short of the [email protected] that Motor Trend achieved with the car Tesla provided them.

Look no further than the 0-100mph times to see that something is really fishy:

0-100mph

DragTimes: 7.46s
    Motor Trend: "Keep it buried, and you'll hit 100mph in fewer than 7 seconds."

That's a huge difference....

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Is there a reason the video plays over two minutes? The 0-60 is at the end and only took a few seconds to display the entire sequence.

9. Zextraterrestrial

what wheels and tires are you running on?

10. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

Pulse Wheels

on OEM tires....

11. Zextraterrestrial

ok, pretty light, & a bit pricey (for me :wink:) nice wheels
    but 5lbs lighter isn't much, the 'crappy' steel MRR 19"s I had were 6.5 lb lighter all around.
    Aluminum CF5V Forgestar 19"s I use are 15.5 lb lighter in the front and 10.5 in the rear, not sure how much difference that makes in straight line accel?

I also found that when I ran a ~2" smaller diameter 19" (but staggered) wheel vs a ~identical P85 w/ stock 21"s we matched time slips 100%...thought that was odd, of course we were both traction limited at the launch on our strip

12. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I predict I will use it a lot more than twice.

13. Ames

Ames Member

Me too. It's so easy to engage and it means I don't have to smash my leg into the go-pedal.

14. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Thank you Brooks for taking the time to test this. Is rollout included in your results or not?

15. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

If they are identically sized, you should be able to get more contact patch by deflating the 19... I have no plans to go above 19 in this car. Staggered 19's, sure.

16. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Maybe the entire intention of this "mode" is to make it easier for people to have consistent times.

I do kind of laugh at this entire thing because what I really liked about the Tesla is there wasn't some special sequence you had to go through for "launch control".

You just nailed the throttle.

Luckily I have the 70D, and with that all you do is nail the throttle. There is no launch control. :)

17. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Very cool! Hope some of it translates down to my little P85!

18. edo

edo Member

Worth noting, if the car shown in the Dragtimes article is the car driven, it has the Panoramic Roof, which hits the 1/4 mile time pretty hard on it's own.

19. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

If they were doing it right it would be an option, and all you have to do is double foot it. Sounds like the lawyers are involved at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

hard source?

20. JonG

JonG Member

I think the marketing department is involved more then legal given its not really any different to just flexing your right foot.