Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy runs for my 2021 MY LR 7 seat 19" Geminis w/tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you meant role but in this case roll works too.
Very true... drag is a v^2 term. I'm not sure what the frontal area of a MY is, but I got bored and ran the numbers...

Assuming the Cd is 0.23 and the frontal area is 2.4m^2 (M3 is 2.2ish, so I guestimated... also just easier to calculate in metric) and speed is 26.8m/s (60mph)

Drag at different temps @60mph
0C (-32F) = 256N (57.7lbs)
15C (59F) = 243N (54.7lbs)
30C (86F) = 231N (52lbs)

So if its hotter (less dense) you get 2.7lbs less drag at 60mph... that is insignificant.

Formula is: Drag = 1/2 air density * velocity^2 * Drag Coefficient * Frontal Area
Air Density is all that changes with temp, Density = Sea Level Pressure in Pa / (R <- 287 for air * Temp in K)

Last edited:
That car is an anomaly. I've never seen any other LR Y run faster than 4.6s stock. Owner most likely had a 980 motor and didn't realize it.
messages_0 (3).jpeg
This is with the 980 but sold as a LR. I question if Tesla programed the 980 to 990 performance or if they left a little in there. I'm an amateur but I could see this dropping a few tenth. Your AB times are looking good.

Today I tried something different. I setup my car to charge to 90% and then went out to make some runs. I posted my best time... drum roll... wait for it. A 4.32. Wow! A whopping 0.03 seconds faster than my previous best but with about 15-20% more charge and fresh off a charging session.

I honestly don't know how I feel about that at the moment. I don't know if I am disappointed that it didn't run a lot quicker or happy that even at about a 70% SOC it is still running about the same. Even at 60%, I am off only a bit over a tenth of a second off my best run so far. So basically from about 60 cold battery pack to 90% warm batteries back. My times only varied about 0.1 seconds.

One thing different this time though was the consistency of the runs. I banged off 3 runs that were within .03 seconds of each other. That is the consistency I expected earlier. I also had a pretty good 1/4 mile going until I had to get off the accelerator. It was on track to be somewhere in the 12.5 range. As it was, even letting off I ran a 12.60 flat.

I'll post the runs later when I have a chance. There was an issue with Dragy and it wouldn't connect to my phone. Their tech support said to uninstall and reinstall the app. So I did this just before I went out to run today and when I did this, it deleted all my previous runs. I am pretty pissed. Not to mention there is still an issue connecting. It says it isn't but it finally does. I'll be starting over to build my data but at least I have some previous baseline runs before AB.

I bought Scan My Tesla. I'll need to plug it in when I get time. I'd like to collect more data to have a better understanding of what really makes a difference for my car. I wanted to weigh it today but huge line of trucks so passed on that.

I have one more chance to do some runs tomorrow. I am charging it up again and making sure everything is preconditioned to see if it makes a difference or not. The improvement of the boost was definitely worth doing.

Reactions: Stach
I bought Scan My Tesla. I'll need to plug it in when I get time. I'd like to collect more data to have a better understanding of what really makes a difference for my car. I wanted to weigh it today but huge line of trucks so passed on that.

I have one more chance to do some runs tomorrow. I am charging it up again and making sure everything is preconditioned to see if it makes a difference or not. The improvement of the boost was definitely worth doing.
Looking forward to seeing your latest numbers...

Also curious about this, and which pack you have. From my understanding some MYLRs have the 82 and some have the 78. I've got a tech coming by to fix a glove box issue I'm having (only opening 25% of the time). I'm going to ask them to scan my car and give me the details

I also have a MYLR7+AB (made in mid-April VIN 174xxx)

Today I tried something different. I setup my car to charge to 90% and then went out to make some runs. I posted my best time... drum roll... wait for it. A 4.32. Wow! A whopping 0.03 seconds faster than my previous best but with about 15-20% more charge and fresh off a charging session.

I honestly don't know how I feel about that at the moment. I don't know if I am disappointed that it didn't run a lot quicker or happy that even at about a 70% SOC it is still running about the same. Even at 60%, I am off only a bit over a tenth of a second off my best run so far. So basically from about 60 cold battery pack to 90% warm batteries back. My times only varied about 0.1 seconds.

One thing different this time though was the consistency of the runs. I banged off 3 runs that were within .03 seconds of each other. That is the consistency I expected earlier. I also had a pretty good 1/4 mile going until I had to get off the accelerator. It was on track to be somewhere in the 12.5 range. As it was, even letting off I ran a 12.60 flat.

I'll post the runs later when I have a chance. There was an issue with Dragy and it wouldn't connect to my phone. Their tech support said to uninstall and reinstall the app. So I did this just before I went out to run today and when I did this, it deleted all my previous runs. I am pretty pissed. Not to mention there is still an issue connecting. It says it isn't but it finally does. I'll be starting over to build my data but at least I have some previous baseline runs before AB.

I did my first dragy runs ever today starting with a cold 58% SOC battery pack, and ending after several runs at 56% SOC My best run was 3.83 seconds to 60 mph, 3.63 with the 1' rollout. 1/4 mile was 12.17 at 111.77. These are with all my junk in the car, and my fat butt in the drivers seat. My first run of the day was my fastest run of the day, both 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile... so the battery should have heated up, but the SOC was going down... which had more effect? Anyway, just for giggles I did a run in chill mode. 7.65 seconds to 60 mph and 7.38 with the 1' rollout. The 1/4 mile was 15.74 at 91.04 in chill. I want to do some runs at 90%+ SOC on a warm battery and see if there is any difference in the MYP under those conditions.

Do some chill runs and post them up for comparison :)

Keith

Here are the additional runs.
View attachment 678962View attachment 678963View attachment 678964

My only complete 1/4 mile run so far.
View attachment 678965
As some others have said and I agree, it is quite possible that the extra row of seats is costing you the 0.13 seconds. I had a 2022 MYLR and clocked it regularly at 4.79s without rollout. My current MYP is doing something similar to your MYLR in that it does not seem to get down to 3.5s. Rather, it has been getting 3.68 and higher. The best 1-foot rollout time was 3.47s.
Couple things to try:
1. Set your "Schedule" to Precondition Battery which will bring it up to an optimal temperature before disconnecting from the charger.
2. Enable Slip Start on Controls (Pedals & Steering settings at the bottom of that menu)
Let us know what happens.
Incidentally, what state are you in if I may ask? I am in Minnesota, north of Minneapolis FWIW.

Thanks for weighing in. I sold the MYLR. I replaced it with a M3LR which pretty much hits its numbers and also have a '22 MSLR. The S is farther off from its claimed times, almost .2 seconds; 3.28 actual vs 3.1 claimed. At this level that is a huge difference.

The runs on my Y were done in Florida in pretty warm weather. I tried a lot of things to get it to run what it claimed. Go to this thread to see all the things I tried for my S. It will give you an idea of how much effort I put into the MYLR. I just didn't catalog it all here to the extent I did with the S. The new S doesn't have a lot of data out there for the LR so I thought it would be helpful to others. Start with post #63 and read on to page 5 if interested. A ton of runs and what I documented. Same approach for my MYLR.

As for Minnesota, I worked at Medtronic's HQ for some time. I know the area pretty well. Don't miss the winters, high income tax and crappy roads. I do miss the great river road, turning of the leaves and going to Two Harbors.