Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what makes the LR so "slow" 0 to 60? 8/10 of a second 0 to 60 difference is significant.
Tesla is software limiting the car off the line. We can speculate on the reasons.

1. Limit LR 0-60 Performance so the gap between the LR and Plaid is greater.
  2. Limit LR 0-60 so Tesla can make more money in the future with an acceleration boost package
It might be both reasons at the same time. We know the Plaid is traction limited to 60, and the full performance of both cars from 0-60 could actually be within a couple tenths of each other. I would guess the majority of everyday buyers are more concerned with 0-60 than 60-130. Therefore, having close 0-60 times would cannibalize Plaid sales. The diehard Performance enthusiasts all know that the Plaid’s 60-130 is what they are paying for since it is unprecedented.

Who knows - at some point in the future when Plaid demand softens and pricing comes down, Tesla might just introduce an acceleration boost for the LR like they did for Model 3/Y Dual Motor vehicles. I would expect that to bring the LR 0-60 down to about 2.4 and produce a car that can do the 1/4 mile in 10.2

Tesla is software limiting the car off the line. We can speculate on the reasons.

2. Limit LR 0-60 so Tesla can make more money in the future with an acceleration boost package
It might be both reasons at the same time. We know the Plaid is traction limited to 60, and the full performance of both cars from 0-60 could actually be within a couple tenths of each other. I would guess the majority of everyday buyers are more concerned with 0-60 than 60-130. Therefore, having close 0-60 times would cannibalize Plaid sales. The diehard Performance enthusiasts all know that the Plaid’s 60-130 is what they are paying for since it is unprecedented.

Who knows - at some point in the future when Plaid demand softens and pricing comes down, Tesla might just introduce an acceleration boost for the LR like they did for Model 3/Y Dual Motor vehicles. I would expect that to bring the LR 0-60 down to about 2.4 and produce a car that can do the 1/4 mile in 10.2

I think you are exactly right.

Could it be that the new engine architecture profits roll on performance at the cost of lower initial kick from a dig? The Plaid with 3 engines is getting away with it while the LR is a bit handicapped. The trap speed of both the Plaid and LR shows that the new engines pull way up in the revs contrary to previous generation.

I believe the Plaid/LR will possibly have a power boost down the line as other cars catch up (if they do catch up). But they are both so far ahead of competition I don’t think it will happen soon. But Elon said the Plaid could be pushed to 1200hp, that would be something.

Another possibility, the gearing. For the front motor the ratio is now around 7.5 : 1. It used to be something like 9.5 : 1 before. You can check it in the 2021 S user's manual. Assuming the motor spin about the same speeds that would explain in part the slowness off the line.

Side note. I currently have a 2017 S75D. My mouth was watering watching these numbers put down by the LR on the quarter mile...

I’m honestly very happy with the performance. Most of my acceleration will be from 30-120 anyways. I’m not a street racer and don’t do stoplight racing. 0-60 is just for bragging rights. 129 trap speed is awesome

0-45 is where it's at 😎
Cause being at a 🚦and in the run out lane you pretty much guarantee you'll be out in front on city streets. 🙂

I've cooled my jets doing that though cause one of two things will usually happen. 1) I'll end up hitting double the speed limit on city streets and that's not cool or 2) Which happens All. The. Time. is someone at the last minute on the cross traffic will take a right onto the run out lane just as my light turns green, foiling my plans of using the run out lane.

I loves me some low grunt though. However I also like putting some distance from someone @ highway speeds. Half the time it's an inattentive person who doesn't know how to merge onto the highway from the on-ramp. The other time is some jack wad tailgating me in the slow lane or hanging out in my blind spot. I try my best to count to 10 and just woo-sah. However that usually doesn't help so I end up dropping the hammer to put some space between me and said jack wad, usually of course leading to 80-90+ very quickly in 65-70 highway.

Of note I only do this when there's no one in front of me and if traffic is sparse, if I'm in traffic I'm just chilling with the pack and letting adaptive cruise do its thing. If I had a LR or for sure a Plaid I could see myself getting in trouble very VERY VERY quickly. I wonder if getting the Plaid will be like when I used to drive my old man's C6Z06. I swear I started to actually drive like a Grandma when I drove the Z06. I was just lazily getting up to speed, going 5 under or at the speed limit 90% of the time. It was just such a zen thing back in the day (~2007) to be driving something that would just absolutely annihilate anything on the road at the time, man those where the days.

Even my ultra-conservative never speeding wife has been 'touched' by the EV torque gods. She basically stole my Model 3 and used it as her daily driver since the farking pandemic (get vaccinated, PLEASE, KTHX). However she had to go back to her lowly 2017 Honda Hybrid Accord for a recent road trip and she commented how it took her quite a bit of time to get used to the fact she had no power and couldn't quickly overtake / adjust for conditions on the road. One day I'll get her to be onboard for the X :)

Thank you for joining my Ted Talk,
Mike - Current 2018 Model 3 Performance owner.

And self drives this, and technology that, the list goes on.

Also, it's "all *gas* cars" ;). Any competition not having to be purpose built racecars is going to be in the form of electric. A tri-motor Lucid Air sedan that can do a 9.3 in the quarter mile *may* be in the works, but they definitely won't be able to match Tesla's price point and I'd imagine it's likely atleast 2 or 3 years away if it even happens. There are other exotic ev's on the horizon but they're all 2 seaters costing millions.

Tesla's lead and relentless momentum is a force to be reckoned with.
The comments on that article did not age well 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
The 1/8 mile trap speed seems way off! I had a Dragy run with the same 7.1 time but a trap speed of 103 MPH. What is going on here? How can @Tex EV be at 81.77 MPH?
I just had a moment to check into this, and it is very strange. I had ten runs that night, and this was the only one with that low of a trap speed. The others were in the 104-105 range. Equipment malfunction?