Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stinks doesn't it? This has to be so much safer than most of the modified cars there! The Tesla was actually designed to run these times, while many of these other cars haven't been! Old rules man.:rolleyes:

Beyond stinks. These cars are so stable he could be safely eating a track burger as he crosses the quarter mile mark! These cars are SO much safer than the extremely frankenstien modded ICE cars that run in the low 9's.

it is not their fault--I am sure they are stuck between the NHRA accreditation and insurance company requirements and most of these places look like shoestring operations. I hear new regs are working through the NHRA and there are some dragster owners that are willing to take a more liberal interpretation of the rules, but, yet, it kinda sucks to only get one full-bore run in.

it is not their fault--I am sure they are stuck between the NHRA accreditation and insurance company requirements and most of these places look like shoestring operations. I hear new regs are working through the NHRA and there are some dragster owners that are willing to take a more liberal interpretation of the rules, but, yet, it kinda sucks to only get one full-bore run in.

Hopefully they realize that EVs are getting faster and AWD offers superior traction........... and does equate to more safety. People usually wreck when they lose traction - and that is very easy to do with high HP RWD cars.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I think it's safe to say that he will do many, many videos with that teardown. A lot of people are going to be interested in seeing what's in the car. Heck, look at what's happening with the Mach-E! All kinds of videos.🙂
I can't wait :) The Mach E videos were interesting . He looked disgusted in some of them. lol The Plaid is an engineering marvel. People that have raced cars most of their adult life can't wrap their head around it. We are just getting started. Exciting times.

• Love
765LT and SF90 also beat 10 seconds in the quarter handily. Gives me hope that maybe the tracks will give an exemption to stock cars. Re-gen braking is kinda like a chute too
Absolutely! There are going to be a lot of 9, 8, and maybe high 7 second production cars coming to market in the next years. Good point with the regen, as that absolutely would help with deceleration. Also, some those upcoming cars will have airbrakes also.

Might be a really stupid question seeing our cars are utilized as daily drivers…can a tow hook be used with a “S” type arm and chute added? I realize the next item to overcome is the pull string. Trying to figure out how to be able to turn it back to stock without a chute. I realize the roll bar is easy since Unplugged has made a bolt in version

765LT and SF90 also beat 10 seconds in the quarter handily. Gives me hope that maybe the tracks will give an exemption to stock cars. Re-gen braking is kinda like a chute too
Re-gen might be the ticket to avoid needing the parachute. If there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t know enough about the NHRA to make a guess on the chances of this happening.

I think you have better chances of finding a track operator that doesn’t care too much than having the NHRA changing its rules.

• Love
Yeah pretty stupid dated rules. I'm not sure they will update their rules:
1- It's been like that forever.
2- ICE cars that achieve sub 10s or over 150mph are usually highly modified so these guys don't mind adding a chute and a cage.
3- Only Tesla achieves these conditions stock and the regular drag crowd will show no sympathy whatsoever for the few Tesla owners that beat their highly modified pride and joy, blood sweat and tears weekend project cars, with their stock off the showroom floor overpowered golf carts.

The Plaid is just too quick, it (kinda) sucks for us.
Decades ago, old-school hot rodders didn't like factory muscle cars for the same reason #3. The more things change...

Re-gen braking is kinda like a chute too
Not really. The chute is useful in that it doesn't require any additional traction from the tires to slow the car down faster. Regenerative braking doesn't use the friction of the pads and rotors to slow the car, but it is still tire dependent.

Kind of like thrust in reverse. Thrust does not depend on tire traction for acceleration. An actual engineer can probably correct me here on the terminology, but the takeaway is that regen is not a substitute for a chute.

That all said, one big reason a chute can be so important is that historically the faster cars out there have very little in the way of front tires or front brakes. Some even use skinnies up front to reduce rolling resistance and would be that much more dependent on an alternative means of slowing the car than front brakes (such as a chute).

Absolutely! There are going to be a lot of 9, 8, and maybe high 7 second production cars coming to market in the next years. Good point with the regen, as that absolutely would help with deceleration. Also, some those upcoming cars will have airbrakes also.
I can't see insurance companies getting on board with cars much faster than the Plaid, which is bonkers enough that some companies may refuse to insure it for high-risk drivers. Does anyone in the USA under 25 own a Plaid yet?

I can't see insurance companies getting on board with cars much faster than the Plaid, which is bonkers enough that some companies may refuse to insure it for high-risk drivers. Does anyone in the USA under 25 own a Plaid yet?
Probably those Dobre Brothers YTers that most of us on this forum hate:
And most of those other cars coming out will be hypercars in the 2 million plus dollar range. I also think that if insurance companies weren't going to insure the Plaid, they would have stopped with Dodge Hellcats, and any other extreme high HP RWD ICE cars, which are WAYYY less predictable than an AWD EV with traction control that still allows 0-60 in 2.3 seconds in the rain. Additionally, the fact that this is one of, if not the most, safest cars on the road, with extremely advanced safety features will help massively.

Last edited: