Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I wonder...

If a guy were to put some drag tires (radials or maybe even full slicks) on the rear of a Plaid, and *if* Elon were to add a burnout mode, and if a guy were to do said burnout, then put the car back into drag/launch mode... would the additional traction of a heated and sticky drag tire allow launch mode to use the additional available grip and give a guy a better time slip? Maybe we should ask Uncle Elon for a burnout mode for drag racing?

OK, so I might just be missing doing burnouts, but hey... if I can at least sorta justify it...
I think I may try to run the T-sport Wheels I had on my Ravin with the Nitto 275/40R19 Drags on my Plaid, I'm just worried that them being 27.7" tall and not 28" tall like the stock Plaid tires are may cause a problem. What this car needs is a "prepped drag strip" mode that brings on the full 1020 hp at like 30 mph vs 70 mph is all this car will need to run 8's.

I found in my trip to the track that the car does not like "drag strip mode" and NOT using launch control. It was a turd on the 2 passes I tried that on, one pass it ran 9.8 the other in the low 10's, but in normal plaid mode it ran 9.4's. It's like the car freaks out if your in drag strip mode and don't use launch control.

Something els I figured out, if your in just plaid mode you can turn on slip start and it stays on, unlike the Ravin where it would turn back off at like 30 mph... My car at the track was slightly faster running slip start on in plaid mode then it was with it off.

We need Tesla to add a software switch below the drag strip button to enable “Cheetah Pre-Stage”. Not available until car is is drag strip mode and ready. You enable this switch and the car goes into cheetah stance, but allows you to creep up at low speed while it is enabled, and comes out of the stance once you get over 5 mph without “launching”. This way, you flip the switch while your opponent is doing his burnout, your creep up to get ready to pre and final stage with him, and once you both are final staged and the light drops, there is no waiting. If programmed right, you could be competitive during a drag race by being able to launch the moment you final-stage, still courtesy-stage to not piss off your opponent, and not risk damage to the front by inadvertently scraping while inn Cheetah stance.

C’mon Elon! I know you are watching, or at least your 2021Plaid bot is! Haha j/k

3FB0BE58-503F-4A7E-8719-8D743C4D84C5.png

more 19" times at the 1/8 mile track. Consistent 6.0x with even a 5.99.

Partly explained by his consistent shallow staging.

Although inexplicably, when he tried deep staging he seemed to think that would make his ET faster and was surprised when it wasn't. :rolleyes:

He also discovers the interesting bit that staging to the pre-stage light and rolling just a bit forward but not enough to trigger the staging light, and then engaging Cheetah launch will roll the car forward a bit further to trigger the staging light. And if your lane mate is already staged you should be ready to go from cheetah when the tree starts (although maybe not for a pro tree)

1631673467719.png

Last edited:
Ok apparently, someone got a FREAKING 157 mph trap speed in a 19" car! Don't know if this was stock or not, but if it was, now we know where the 155 trap may come from. Just not with 9.23 it seems. After seeing this, I'm betting that after 200 mph is unlocked, we will see the 155 out of the 21" wheels. Seems like higher trap speed but lower ET may be the case for the 19s. Damn impressive if true.

EDIT: Most likely was a mistake; ET and trap speed do not correlate.

Last edited:
Ok apparently, someone got a FREAKING 157 mph trap speed in a 19" car! Don't know if this was stock or not, but if it was, now we know where the 155 trap may come from. Just not with 9.23 it seems. After seeing this, I'm betting that after 200 mph is unlocked, we will see the 155 out of the 21" wheels. Seems like higher trap speed but lower ET may be the case for the 19s. Damn impressive if true.

Go 19s!!! Ha ha ha!

I know! Most likely is a mistake. 157 is monumentally fast, and I just don't see the Plaid pulling that off, especially on the 19s. Weird though. High 140s is what we've seen for the 19s so far.
I ran quite a few 151-152's in my 19" car at the track (152.59 being the best). Even just using plaid mode and no launch control it still trapped 151's. This is with the covers on, not sure that matters I did not try taking them off.

Attachments

• 2021plaid:19%22s.jpg
    2021plaid:19%22s.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 44