Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies, I tried doing a search on this thread, but failed. Can someone point me to some LR times? I saw one in the first page or two, and those were just ok. I’m looking for some bragging rights ;)
Here you go! This is with 21" Twin Turbine wheels though.

Post in thread 'Dragy times for Plaid and LR' Dragy times for Plaid and LR

And then there is this too, with the 21" Arachnids:
1/4 Mile Passes in the New 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range (not Plaid) / Erik Robertson

Anyone in the DC/VA/MD and PA areas: Mason Dixon Dragway has a “New Generation” (2008 and newer) race series. The next and last one is November 6th. Details here http://www.masondixondragway.com/New Gen Flyer.pdf

Any plaids or ludicrous or insane in the area should try to make it.

I don’t yet know how much Mason Dixon is enforcing NHRA rules re faster than 9.99 and 6.39 (in the 1/8). Does anyone know?

Also don’t track the car until you have upgraded brakes. Anyone doing high speed runs be careful out there.

RIP plaid

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Also don’t track the car until you have upgraded brakes. Anyone doing high speed runs be careful out there.

RIP plaid
Yep waiting on my brake upgrade before I can track the beast!

Reactions: bhzmark
My apologies, I tried doing a search on this thread, but failed. Can someone point me to some LR times? I saw one in the first page or two, and those were just ok. I’m looking for some bragging rights ;)
I did a [email protected] MPH

026467E5-E057-4A9E-935D-39FAC892FE68.png

Is Tesla deliberately sandbagging the Model S Long Range? It seems to be very strong up top (130mph trap speeds) but weaker down low (can only manage high 10's from all I've seen).
Yup. It pulls a horrific 60ft of like 1.9, but then goes on to do a 130 trap. Most owners have commented that it feels limited up to around 30 mph. This was likely done by Tesla so they can: 1) Sell an acceleration boost later, and 2) have less issues selling the Plaid to people who don't look past the 0-60 time, and who wouldn't know the difference beyond that point.

Reminds me of [insert some car mag's name here] where they took something like an old land yacht Buick Electra 225 for and old Chevy Caprice and started gutting it and chopping it apart. At that time, a 13 second stock street car was pretty good. The land yacht started I think somewhere in the 17 second range.

They removed the spare tire, jack, rear seat etc. I think they down in the high 14's or so. Then they took off the doors (waiting for Chet to do that next) to save more weight. Dropping those massive doors put in the low 14's. Out cam the Sawzall and they cut of the roof. Instant 13 second car. Off course removing the roof on a unibody car without adding some bracing is a recipe for disaster.

They had their 13 second car! Not real useful on the street anymore but it was interesting to see the progression. Don't quote me on the exact times for the article as it was about 30 years ago and some things fade from memory but the order of magnitude is about right.

If you are already in the 9's not a lot more to gain without huge weight loss or huge power increase. Neither of which is possible at the moment with the Plaid. So just shaving off a few milliseconds here and there it seems. I had a turbo bike that I was trying everything to just finally get it in the 8's. Far scarier to launch than a Plaid which is just pretty much punch it and go.

I miss the days when the slower car with a great driver could beat the faster car with a driver who had more dollars than skill... Teslas make it stupid simple to be fast AND consistent.

Another good video from Engineering Perspective that looks at the performance difference between the 19s and 21s:

Spoiler:
The difference is negligible

Interesting. He treats the main topic discussed in this thread: rotational mass of the wheels, as a different topic, and seems to assume that the EPA data he finds is the result of (I guess, he doesn’t say explicitly) rolling resistance of the tires and aero affects of the wheels.

I would think that the EPA data is partly influenced by the rotational mass as well. Although perhaps he means the rotational mass has an additional effect on performance, especially on acceleration, and isn’t fully captured by the EPA road load data (which is just steady state power requirements) .

🤔

Interesting. He treats the main topic discussed in this thread: rotational mass of the wheels, as a different topic, and seems to assume that the EPA data he finds is the result of (I guess, he doesn’t say explicitly) rolling resistance of the tires and aero affects of the wheels.

I would think that the EPA data is partly influenced by the rotational mass as well. Although perhaps he means the rotational mass has an additional effect on performance, especially on acceleration, and isn’t fully captured by the EPA road load data (which is just steady state power requirements) .

🤔
Well, to be fair, he was looking at efficiency, but one takeaway there is so much crazy stupid torque, the differences are minimal. That is certainly in line with what I have seen with my Dragy testing. It would be good to figure out the polar moment of inertia differences between the two wheels, as I think that ends up being more relevant to our discussion here.

• Love
Last night I took my Plaid with 19" Signature wheels to 1/8 mile Irwindale dragstrip. My first run was 6.009 @ 120.62 mph, second was 6.072 @ 121.45. Dragy was 6.08. Unfortunately, the officials said no more runs under 6.39 seconds. The nearest 1/4 mile strip is 150 miles away in Bakersfield but they won't have any races till December. NHRA rules require a roll cage faster than 10.00 seconds. The good news is that they will allow the Plaids to make full single runs with no time on the scoreboard.