Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I took my Plaid with 19" Signature wheels to 1/8 mile Irwindale dragstrip. My first run was 6.009 @ 120.62 mph, second was 6.072 @ 121.45. Dragy was 6.08. Unfortunately, the officials said no more runs under 6.39 seconds. The nearest 1/4 mile strip is 150 miles away in Bakersfield but they won't have any races till December. NHRA rules require a roll cage faster than 10.00 seconds. The good news is that they will allow the Plaids to make full single runs with no time on the scoreboard.
Interesting. I wonder if other tracks will be amenable to Plaids at full speed if we ask not to show the times — I’ve never done that. Do you just tell someone at the staging lights?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Went to 1/4 mile track last night . It's a regular Friday night test and tune so the track prep is so so . Car was spinning a bit on every run . This was the best run of the night . Had a blast, so many people were shocked what this car run . I made 12 runs . 5 were with passengers as so many people wanted a ride LOL .Full weight car with 20inch signature wheels
20211008_182504.jpg

I just did 3 back to back 1/4 mile runs, same road , same spot , all done within few minutes. Plaid with DS , Sport and Chill . It might be my theory LOL but I think Plaid mode runs 3 motors, Sport runs 2 and Chill runs 1 motor . I'll post the video shortly
That's an interesting theory.... these are PM motors though, so unless they have a physical disconnection such as a clutch pack, you can't turn them off. They always have to be turning unlike induction motors. I think they just limit battery power to slow the car down in those modes.

Reactions: bhzmark
(Cross post)
WHOAH GUYS CHECK OUT THESE 1/2 MILE RACES!!! The Plaid pulls that modded Turbo S really well until it hits the wall that is that 163 mph limiter. 200 mph can't come soon enough! Another thing to note is the major grip difference between the 19" White Plaid vs. the 21" Red Plaid. The 19" steadily claws its way ahead of the Turbo S really well, but the 21" solidly walks away, and is launching hard enough to beat the Porsche that's traveling 16 mph higher than the Plaid at the end of the race. Sure there could be SOC differences and other factors, but this lines up perfectly with my theory, and shows for sure the difference between the 2 wheels on a non-dragstrip surface.

(DISCLAIMER: Not trying to put anyone's choices down, or belittle said choices. This is an observation, and purely that. As I've stated in the past, the ZeroG wheels would be the ones for me. :))

Last edited: