Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a run today before the snow tires are mounted. 80% state of charge, 2 in the car, launch mode used, 2degC outside temp, bumpy rural road. The car is quick!

But after a week, I’m already getting used to it and would gladly take a 200hp bump. 😁

Attachments

• B3CCEE09-F2F7-4CED-8287-48B896D114E7.jpeg
    B3CCEE09-F2F7-4CED-8287-48B896D114E7.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 153
Adrenaline is like any drug, you get used to it. Will be curious to see if Tesla pushed the envelope a bit with it after a year or two.

While it would be fun to occasionally have the extra punch of the Plaid, I can say there are almost no times I've even needed more than why my MY LR with boost can give. I am moving to a new city. The traffic is miserable so from an acceleration standpoint, I will rarely get any chance to open up the MY LR let alone our MS LR. The speed limits are 30-35 mph for several miles around our new house and then the major highway always seems to be jammed with traffic. I did see a Plaid in our new neighborhood at least.

At least I'll enjoy the improved suspension and greater range over the MY. Densely packed cities are real kill joys for quick vehicles if you want to explore the performance envelope safely and without getting tickets.

Interesting to see this. IMO, this seals the argument on 19" vs. 21" in terms of performance on a non-prepped surface. The 19" car had more charge, and no passengers, and it still lost. It probably had anywhere from 150- 200 pounds less weight! In a situation where both cars will spin and traction is the limiting factor, the better tire wins, regardless of sidewall and wheel size, and PS4S tires in this case are that. And they both got off the line at the same time. Be really sure to read the description on this video:

(DISCLAIMER: Not trying to put anyone's choices down, or belittle said choices. This is an observation, and purely that. As I've stated in the past, the ZeroG wheels would be the ones for me. Not trying to beat a dead topic here either. :))

Interesting to see this. IMO, this seals the argument on 19" vs. 21" in terms of performance on a non-prepped surface. The 19" car had more charge, and no passengers, and it still lost. It probably had anywhere from 150- 200 pounds less weight! In a situation where both cars will spin and traction is the limiting factor, the better tire wins, regardless of sidewall and wheel size, and PS4S tires in this case are that. And they both got off the line at the same time. Be really sure to read the description on this video:

(DISCLAIMER: Not trying to put anyone's choices down, or belittle said choices. This is an observation, and purely that. As I've stated in the past, the ZeroG wheels would be the ones for me. Not trying to beat a dead topic here either. :))
Yeah, the PS4S is a great tire. I got a 20” version on lighter and wider rims than the stock 21’s.

I wonder how 19” PS4S tires would do on stock cardenio wheels vs. stock 21” PS4S on arachnids? The stock 21” rims are wider, but heavier than the stock 19’s.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yeah, the PS4S is a great tire. I got a 20” version on lighter and wider rims than the stock 21’s.
I wonder how 19” PS4S tires would do on stock cardenio wheels vs. stock 21” PS4S on arachnids?
Then it would be basically identical. I still think the 21s would have an edge, as those tires are specifically developed for Tesla and those torque loads.

I doubt there will be an difference. If the track mode is more like the M3P, it is to improve handling and I don't recall seeing any improvement in acceleration times. I wouldn't be opposed it they ever roll it out to the LR... Not likely but I can wish for that and acceleration boost as two options I'd drop some cash on for the LR.

There have been lots of videos out there showing they're almost identical. Maybe a slight edge to the 19s.
There's something not right about this race. My feeling is the red car's battery was warmed up and the MSM battery wasn't warmed up. If the MSM car's battery wasn't fully warmed up, it makes a night and day difference.

There have been lots of videos out there showing they're almost identical. Maybe a slight edge to the 19s.
There's something not right about this race. My feeling is the red car's battery was warmed up and the MSM battery wasn't warmed up. If the MSM car's battery wasn't fully warmed up, it makes a night and day difference.
Actually, there has always been an edge to the 21s. Over the past 7 months, many 19" owners have tested their cars on the street, and the track. On the street, the 19s appear to be notably slower, doing in the 9.4 to 9.5 second range at a high 140s trap speed. The 21s consistently put down ~2.0 second 0-60 and low 9.2 second range times on the street. On the drag strip, they are substantially closer, but the 21s are still marginally faster, at 9.23 to 9.25 at 150+ mph, and the best I've seen in the 19" case is 9.3 at 150+ mph. 😃