Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to stop posting about this. While I am not regretting buying the Plaid, your times are good enough that they clearly have my interest. Maybe removing a bunch of weight would get the LR to the very low tens and trapping mid 130's.

If they did make a competition or higher spec Plaid though, that would put me over the edge. Other than performance, I never though they did enough to differentiate the Plaid from the LR.

Its on low speed the lr is really sandbagged
"Sandbagged" might be a bit strong—after all, the LR is the quickest non-performance Tesla yet. I think that word might be appropriate if the LR was touted as "performance" model, but it's "just" a "regular" Tesla. ;)

I think it feels slower than the performance models because of the throttle response difference between performance and non-performance models. The performance models definitely bring on the power very, very fast, while the non-performance models bring on full power merely quickly. The LR pulls approximately 0.75g from 5MPH to 60MPH. It's mostly that 0-5 that is noticeably difference between, say, an M3P and MSLR.

Attachments

• IMG_A858329A0C81-1.jpeg
    IMG_A858329A0C81-1.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 107
@mscott: Yours is another MSLR that's around 3.4s 0-60. Tesla promises 3.1 seconds. I have yet to see a Dragy result that gets even near that. My best was 3.41s 0-60, measured with the Vbox Sport. Has anyone seen 3.1 seconds yet, without gutting the car?
That is a concern I have. Last M3P I tested with my Dragy was better than ANY runs I've seen posted here. I didn't buy the S for it to be slower than an M3P. I made a lot of instrumented test runs in M3P's and LR's, MYP and LR's. The M3P hit hardest of all those off the line. My MS LR has never hit as hard as the M3Ps I did off the line.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to run my LR with Dragy as it won't connect to my app and I need it to be replaced. If enough of us are seeing issues, we need to start complaining to Tesla very vocally. The MS LR should run very close to a 3.1 with rollout. We are seeing over .3 tenths slower which is HUGE discrepancy at this speed.

Most of the Plaids I've seen run are seeing very close to 2.0 flat. They aren't coming in at 2.3 seconds on a good surface and surface is even more important to those cars.

@mscott: Yours is another MSLR that's around 3.4s 0-60. Tesla promises 3.1 seconds. I have yet to see a Dragy result that gets even near that. My best was 3.41s 0-60, measured with the Vbox Sport. Has anyone seen 3.1 seconds yet, without gutting the car?
FWIW, this was at a totally unpreped track and traction was definitely an issue. (I could hear the tires chirp on launch and feel it struggle for traction until at least 40MPH.) I have yet to take it to a proper drag strip with proper surface prep. When I do, I'll post my results here.

Last M3P I tested with my Dragy was better than ANY runs I've seen posted here.
I've got a lot of time slips from a 1/4-mile drag strip with our old M3P and it was slower than my MSLR up to the 1/8th mile that I've run the MSLR. (And I'm pretty sure the MSLR will outrun that M3P in the 1/4-mile when I finally get back to that track. We had a "stealth" M3P (lighter 18" wheels) which was a relatively early production car (VIN < 100,000) so maybe newer M3Ps are maybe a bit quicker? But that M3P ran 1/8th-mile in the 7.5s—on a prepped track—while the MSLR consistently runs 7.25-7.35s on an unprepped track.
My MS LR has never hit as hard as the M3Ps I did off the line.
And I suspect it never will. I've driven a bunch of different Tesla models, and it's clear to me that Tesla uses a different throttle response for their performance cars than their non-performance cars, which I think makes a lot of sense. It's a lot easier to drive non-performance Teslas "gently" (without putting it in Chill mode) because they don't have that "hit" in the initial press of the accelerator pedal. It also gives the performance models a sportier feel.

I've got a lot of time slips from a 1/4-mile drag strip with our old M3P and it was slower than my MSLR up to the 1/8th mile that I've run the MSLR. (And I'm pretty sure the MSLR will outrun that M3P in the 1/4-mile when I finally get back to that track. We had a "stealth" M3P (lighter 18" wheels) which was a relatively early production car (VIN < 100,000) so maybe newer M3Ps are maybe a bit quicker? But that M3P ran 1/8th-mile in the 7.5s—on a prepped track—while the MSLR consistently runs 7.25-7.35s on an unprepped track.

And I suspect it never will. I've driven a bunch of different Tesla models, and it's clear to me that Tesla uses a different throttle response for their performance cars than their non-performance cars, which I think makes a lot of sense. It's a lot easier to drive non-performance Teslas "gently" (without putting it in Chill mode) because they don't have that "hit" in the initial press of the accelerator pedal. It also gives the performance models a sportier feel.
2022 Model 3 Performance runs 7.30 1/8 mile even on the UberHeavy wheels if you precondition and have greater than 90% battery.

Some people are down to 7.18 for the 1/8 with lighter wheels and other weight reductions.

54E74BD8-EDFA-49C1-9B3A-A804FCAE45C4.jpeg

2022 Model 3 Performance runs 7.30 1/8 mile even on the UberHeavy wheels if you precondition and have greater than 90% battery.
Interesting. That M3P was about 1/10th quicker for the first half of the 1/8th but then the MSLR overtakes it and finishes slightly quicker and with a noticeably higher trap speed (103MPH vs 96MPH).

Note that my MSLR run shown here was with an SOC of about 88%, but there was less than 0.15 second difference in runs I did down even in the low 70s SOC (i.e. 7.40s), although my trap speeds were only 100MPH.

Attachments

• MSLR v M3P.png
    MSLR v M3P.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
FWIW, this was at a totally unpreped track and traction was definitely an issue. (I could hear the tires chirp on launch and feel it struggle for traction until at least 40MPH.) I have yet to take it to a proper drag strip with proper surface prep. When I do, I'll post my results here.
Last M3P (2021) I ran a year ago, was a 3.23 w/rollout. That was just on some random side road. The same car on another ran the 1/4 in 11.4 something at over 117. At the time I was much bigger than I am now and was at about 330 pounds so I wasn't help the cars time either.

It was a very good running example. SoC was about 90% and it was a high 80's-low 90's day when I ran it and had the AC on all the time.

I ran an MYP on the same day and it was about a half second slower everywhere. I think it clocked a 3.77 0-60 (w/rollout). It ran just under 12 seconds at 11.97 @ 116. I don't remember the decimal amount to the mph.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4