Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No numbers yet on my refreshed LR. Does feel pretty quick off the line and it doesn't fade in the mid range. It does have insane and launch mode.

I can say it is quick enough to take my ex-boss' 2021 C8 Z51 Vette the times we ran. We somewhat close of the line (S LR was quicker even with him using launch control) and the faster we went the more I puilled him. If he didn't use launch control it was an easy win.

Reactions: Tz00
No numbers yet on my refreshed LR. Does feel pretty quick off the line and it doesn't fade in the mid range. It does have insane and launch mode.

I can say it is quick enough to take my ex-boss' 2021 C8 Z51 Vette the times we ran. We somewhat close of the line (S LR was quicker even with him using launch control) and the faster we went the more I puilled him. If he didn't use launch control it was an easy win.
Thats great to hear it has both launch and insane mode! Thanks for verifying.

So, anyone got a number yet? Will Model X LR be faster than the 11.4 of the new BMW M3 AWD?

Edit: Does anyone know this site, can it be confirmed?

1648641562829.png

I've found the site (Carindigo) to be pretty decent in the past. There are some obvious errors for times such as the ones for

2020 Tesla Model X electric 0-60 and Quarter Mile all Trims​

They list 0-60 at 1.9 which is clearly an error.

As for the 1/4 mile time for the 2022 X LR, I find that hard to believe being that quick. Tesla lists the MS LR at 3.1 0-60 and the MX LR at 3.8 (0.7 seconds difference), I don't see how it can pick up about 0.3 seconds over the 1/4 mile to only end up about 0.4 seconds slower in the 1/4 than the MS LR. I could only see this happening if the MX LR is making more power than claimed and it is unleashed after 60 mph or they are throttling the MS LR a bit.

A 0.7 seconds gap to 60 should translate into a bigger gap than about 0.4 seconds at the end of the 1/4.

I've found the site (Carindigo) to be pretty decent in the past. There are some obvious errors for times such as the ones for

2020 Tesla Model X electric 0-60 and Quarter Mile all Trims​

They list 0-60 at 1.9 which is clearly an error.

As for the 1/4 mile time for the 2022 X LR, I find that hard to believe being that quick. Tesla lists the MS LR at 3.1 0-60 and the MX LR at 3.8 (0.7 seconds difference), I don't see how it can pick up about 0.3 seconds over the 1/4 mile to only end up about 0.4 seconds slower in the 1/4 than the MS LR. I could only see this happening if the MX LR is making more power than claimed and it is unleashed after 60 mph or they are throttling the MS LR a bit.

A 0.7 seconds gap to 60 should translate into a bigger gap than about 0.4 seconds at the end of the 1/4.
I agree, but to play devil's advocate for a moment...

1) I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that they're throttling the MS LR a tiny bit in order to widen the gap between LR & Plaid;

2) The 0.7s difference in 0-60 as measured by Tesla may be less accurate than the 1/4 mile testing by a third party (or more accurate, for that matter; either way, we're not looking at four numbers (MS LR & MX LR 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times) from the same tester);

and

3) I would only be a little surprised to learn that MX LR is making more power than claimed. I recall (possibly incorrectly) reading a theory somewhere that max power output for the MS Plaid is limited not by the motors, but by the battery (or the battery's ability to supply power, e.g., the size/length/composition/etc. of the cabling or the power limitations of the inverter). It's beyond my pay grade/education, but if the LR motors ARE the limiting factor for power output (in contrast to the plaid powertrain), perhaps there is some reason why the LR motors are able to open up a bit and increase power output as speed increases.

Again, just to be clear, I don't disagree that the 0.4s gap seems a bit low...I'm just trying to put up reasoning that could explain it.

I agree, but to play devil's advocate for a moment...

1) I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that they're throttling the MS LR a tiny bit in order to widen the gap between LR & Plaid;

2) The 0.7s difference in 0-60 as measured by Tesla may be less accurate than the 1/4 mile testing by a third party (or more accurate, for that matter; either way, we're not looking at four numbers (MS LR & MX LR 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times) from the same tester);

and

3) I would only be a little surprised to learn that MX LR is making more power than claimed. I recall (possibly incorrectly) reading a theory somewhere that max power output for the MS Plaid is limited not by the motors, but by the battery (or the battery's ability to supply power, e.g., the size/length/composition/etc. of the cabling or the power limitations of the inverter). It's beyond my pay grade/education, but if the LR motors ARE the limiting factor for power output (in contrast to the plaid powertrain), perhaps there is some reason why the LR motors are able to open up a bit and increase power output as speed increases.

Again, just to be clear, I don't disagree that the 0.4s gap seems a bit low...I'm just trying to put up reasoning that could explain it.
I've thought through pretty much the same points. I think Tesla doesn't totally unlock the power of any of their vehicles. I think they try and keep some order to the range as Porsche (at least in the past) has careful about. They also might be cautious about warranty issues as well with the new platform.

It sure seems like they are leaving some power on the table with the MS LR at launch. I spend most of my time riding some very fast street bikes; 2 of them are faster than a Plaid. I hadn't driven my MS LR in a while and got hard on it today at about 70 mph and I have to say it was still impressive how hard it was pulling. For a street car, that is a family sedan, it is plenty quick enough for my purposes.

Having said that though, It would be awesome if they offered something like boost as they do for the 3/Y LR's. ;)

Very interesting thread. I am a MS P100D owner and just picked up a MXLR. I was surprised at how peppy and fast it felt off the line and it even pulled hard at high speeds. The low 11s number wouldn’t surprise me.