Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drama with delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from Escambia County, just north of Pensacola. I have taken delivery of two Teslas here. Both were treated as home deliveries from the time I placed the order. I'm curious why FWB would be different. There was no additional charge for that. I have no delivery centers closer than you do. Decatur, GA probably the closest to me. Both my Model 3 and Model Y were trucked down from there. We do have a Service Center (Light) here, btw. I have run into FWB owners there. Hope you hang in with Tesla and get the car. You will enjoy it.

So the manager from Decatur finally called me back. No idea why my SA is in GA when I'm picking up in FL but there it is. The story is now that "home deliveries" are no longer offered for free, it's a policy change. Now you have to pick up or pay $750. So, another user on this thread pointed me towards a very reasonably priced 1 way rental so that's the plan. Pick up rental Saturday morning, drive to JAX, pick up M3, drop off rental, stay in hotel, drive home Sunday.

I was very glad to see that there was a service center - even a light one - in Pensacola. I was worried that I'd be repeating my 10 hour drive every time I needed service.

Nice to meet you!

I agree with this sentiment for the most part, but there are definitely products I have decided not to buy because I was uncomfortable with the purchasing experience. Forums like this one amplify the negative, and my own personal tesla ownership experience (service center and all) has been good to very good.

On the "customer service, in todays age" thing, we could have a whole thread (with pages and pages of discussion) on that topic. In general though, my personal feeling is, the "younger generations" (millenial, Z) simply dont care as much about it as older generations, and more importantly are not willing to PAY for it.

We are in an "app" society, where people would rather go to some website, or twitter, or open some app, rather than talk to a human about stuff. My own child is 27, and is not an anti social person, but, for example, when she was moving recently, rather than calling a couple of moving companies to get quotes, she wanted to do "web based" quotes.

I am in IT, so not technology averse, but I still want to talk to a person when I am doing something "important". I purchased my tesla in a tesla sales center in 2018. I had called ahead and asked for an experienced person for my test drive.

I had a sales experience very much like any of the BMWs I have leased over the years. I had a (very good) point of contact in the store, who answered (correctly) all my questions etc. I happened to make friends with the sales manager at that location as well. When I had a delivery issue after, I sent an email to this sales manager, who "sent some emails" on my behalf and got me squared away.

Tesla wants to cater to "order in the app, no human contact" because its cheaper for them, and no one wants to pay more to have good customer service. Tesla has to survive first, and can work on customer service second. Its a really good thing for them the product is SO good, that its worth toughing it through these mishaps for most.

Teslas customer service is basically, if you fall into the pre defined easy to deal with buckets, they are great. If you need (or want) something different that requires higher human touch, they typically dont do very well with that. I have a Model 3, Tesla solar panels (installed by solar city in 2016), and tesla powerwalls installed this year, so I have purchased both from the auto division and tesla energy. The experience is fairly similar.

With that being said, most people you deal with want to help you, once you get past the point of sounding like every other human being they talk to, who is complaining to them about something. Once you cross that barrier, I find them to be very helpful, if overworked.

So, if someone is expecting a purchasing experience like Lexus, you need to cancel your order and go get one of those. Tesla will never provide that high a level of customer service (lexus is one of the best, but I dont like their cars.. the service is great though). People dont want to pay for great customer service, so we wont ever see that from tesla. I just hope we get to "good enough". The product is so good though, its worth dealing with the marginal service.

Thin is a great point, particularly the note about the younger generation seeming to care less about customer service and being unwilling to pay a premium for it.

I’m personally annoyed whenever I find out I need to call or email or visit any company about anything. Everything can and should be able to be handled through web forms and mostly automated processes. I shouldn’t need to know the name of the person assigned to my case or even know whether or not there is such a person, and frankly don’t care to.

If a company’s standard offer doesn’t meet my needs, I just shrug and move on instead of calling to ask for a deal or exception.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
So the manager from Decatur finally called me back. No idea why my SA is in GA when I'm picking up in FL but there it is. The story is now that "home deliveries" are no longer offered for free, it's a policy change. Now you have to pick up or pay $750. So, another user on this thread pointed me towards a very reasonably priced 1 way rental so that's the plan. Pick up rental Saturday morning, drive to JAX, pick up M3, drop off rental, stay in hotel, drive home Sunday.

I was very glad to see that there was a service center - even a light one - in Pensacola. I was worried that I'd be repeating my 10 hour drive every time I needed service.

Nice to meet you!

I handled my first Tesla, Model 3, a year ago completely online. No SA was ever assigned. When I ordered my Model Y in October I handled it differently. I called the Decatur store, asked to speak to a Sales Associate, and placed the order through him (Gene Rubin). This worked much better for me as he was very helpful and considerate. Better, IMO, than flying blind like the first time.

Have a safe trip to JAX. An exciting time for sure. Enjoy your car, and the Tesla experience.

Reactions: CaptMhack

Nice to meet you!

In light of the issues it sounds like you have a good plan in place. On the bright side, you will get some good behind-the-wheel time to enjoy and get to know your Tesla on your drive home. Congrats on the new car.

I’m in Pensacola as well. Ordered a M3P Red/white on 12/5. The website only gave pickup in Decatur. While talking to the SA the next day about something else I mentioned switching to JAX but she ‘looked in the computer’ and it only said Decatur or Tampa available. So I stayed with Decatur. Pensacola is actually closer to Decatur then JAX by a few miles but I was going to visit my brother in JAX. I’ll just get a one-way rental.

My account showed initial estimate of 12/20-31, then 12/23-29, tonight it updated to 12/15-29.

Yeah I had that conversation with them also about GA being "closer" but as someone who used to live there, 30 miles further to Jacksonville but traveling I-10 the whole way is like 1 whole day closer than traveling to Atlanta. Either way I bet your delivery speeds up. I was 12/15-12/31 and then all of a sudden it was 12/8-12/12.

I’m in Pensacola as well. Ordered a M3P Red/white on 12/5. The website only gave pickup in Decatur. While talking to the SA the next day about something else I mentioned switching to JAX but she ‘looked in the computer’ and it only said Decatur or Tampa available. So I stayed with Decatur. Pensacola is actually closer to Decatur then JAX by a few miles but I was going to visit my brother in JAX. I’ll just get a one-way rental.

My account showed initial estimate of 12/20-31, then 12/23-29, tonight it updated to 12/15-29.

I live in Pace, just a hair east of Pensacola. I drove over to Destin for a test drive back in May and was assigned an SA that day. I placed my order 10/23 and received the car on 12/22. They originally wanted me to drive to Decatur, but I found that rather unreasonable. My SA looked and said home delivery would be no problem due to my location. Nothing was ever mentioned about any cost for home delivery and I wasn’t charged.

The process was incredibly frustrating though and I had to threaten to cancel the order (which I was ready to do) after them repeatedly delaying my delivery because I hadn’t made final payment. However, that hadn’t been communicated to me and there was no option to pay on my account. It took a ridiculous number of calls and texts to finally get my SA on the phone. He ended up getting a supervisor involved, who was able to resolve some issue on their end and then the payment option showed up. Then the delivery got delayed two more times before he finally got here. The driver wouldn’t come into the neighborhood, so I took delivery in the dark in the turn lane for my neighborhood. Fortunately, I love the car, but they really suck at customer service and communication.

Anyway, 2021 MSM LR in the Pace/Pensacola area finally!

I live in Pace, just a hair east of Pensacola. I drove over to Destin for a test drive back in May and was assigned an SA that day. I placed my order 10/23 and received the car on 12/22. They originally wanted me to drive to Decatur, but I found that rather unreasonable. My SA looked and said home delivery would be no problem due to my location. Nothing was ever mentioned about any cost for home delivery and I wasn’t charged.

The process was incredibly frustrating though and I had to threaten to cancel the order (which I was ready to do) after them repeatedly delaying my delivery because I hadn’t made final payment. However, that hadn’t been communicated to me and there was no option to pay on my account. It took a ridiculous number of calls and texts to finally get my SA on the phone. He ended up getting a supervisor involved, who was able to resolve some issue on their end and then the payment option showed up. Then the delivery got delayed two more times before he finally got here. The driver wouldn’t come into the neighborhood, so I took delivery in the dark in the turn lane for my neighborhood. Fortunately, I love the car, but they really suck at customer service and communication.

Anyway, 2021 MSM LR in the Pace/Pensacola area finally!

That's so weird that they were delaying your delivery due to the missing final payment. I wasn't even able to make my final payment until the day before my delivery (and they definitely did not delay or even threaten to delay). Whatever they had been doing on the back end to push my order status along wasn't really working. My app also didn't associate to the car and they had to do some manual monkeying around after I arrived on-site to get everything set up for me. They also didn't even have my paperwork in the car/ready when I got there (which was also an hour after my scheduled time because they asked me to come later so they could finish the paperwork). That was on 12/26, so not exactly the end of the year, but pretty close. Overall, the whole operation seemed to be held together with bubble gum and baling wire.

I'm wondering if the "let's get 500,000 cars delivered by 12/31" helped but either way, that is awesome that you got it delivered. I kept going up the food chain and hit brick walls so I ended up going to JAX. Good news is the guys there were really nice and I'm in love with the car. I'll be at the Pensacola service center in January to fix a couple minor issues, but so far I'm very happy!

Forgot I had posted here. I picked up my M3P in Decatur on 12/29! I flew up that morning and drove it back. Loved the adventure and journey was an experience. Coming back I played with Autopilot, got to know the screen and try Supercharging, cause as you know, there are none here. It was a great way to learn the car.
You weren’t charged for delivery @Grahammc ? My coworker got his Decatur delivery appt 12/20, but decided to get home delivery instead to here in Pensacola $750. It didn’t show up until 12/27. The truck also wouldn’t go into his neighborhood so had to walk 30min to a lot, all at 10pm. Communication was terrible the whole week prior.
Hearing that solidified me flying up & driving back. It also guaranteed I got it in the last 3 days of the year so I got free supercharging for a year and FSD for 3 months.

Forgot I had posted here. I picked up my M3P in Decatur on 12/29! I flew up that morning and drove it back. Loved the adventure and journey was an experience. Coming back I played with Autopilot, got to know the screen and try Supercharging, cause as you know, there are none here. It was a great way to learn the car.
You weren’t charged for delivery @Grahammc ? My coworker got his Decatur delivery appt 12/20, but decided to get home delivery instead to here in Pensacola $750. It didn’t show up until 12/27. The truck also wouldn’t go into his neighborhood so had to walk 30min to a lot, all at 10pm. Communication was terrible the whole week prior.
Hearing that solidified me flying up & driving back. It also guaranteed I got it in the last 3 days of the year so I got free supercharging for a year and FSD for 3 months.

No, I didn’t get charged for delivery. I’d have been rather upset if I had since there’s a service center in Pensacola but they won’t allow deliveries there.

I got my free supercharging for a year, but took delivery a few days early for the FSD promo. Honestly, the experience I’ve had with autopilot so far tells me FSD isn’t ready for prime time. What do you think so far?

I got my free supercharging for a year, but took delivery a few days early for the FSD promo. Honestly, the experience I’ve had with autopilot so far tells me FSD isn’t ready for prime time. What do you think so far?

The trial has confirmed my opinion that it is not worth 10k. Base autopilot is plenty of autonomy. When input is needed like turns and such I actually like to control the car. Maybe it’s the pilot in me. ‘Straight and level’ on the highway, autopilot is cool. Time to make some maneuvers? Lemme take the wheel! That’s the fun part. Although, the auto lane change is nice though because ‘breaking lose’ from autosteer to change lanes manually to then re-engage it 5 seconds later is annoying.
It doesn’t do the FSD on city streets since I”m not in the early release beta thing, but no thanks. I’m a driver lover. Also, I got the Uberturbines which have ZERO curb forgiveness so another layer of no trust there.

A completely and total *sugar* show. My car doesn't work at all. Not a single advanced safety feature works at all. Tons of alerts on things not working AND the steering wheel isn't straight at all. Pulls right hard. I picked it up at close and didn't notice all the alerts (new to this thing) until a couple miles down the road and at that point it's too late and i'm 2 hours away and it's dark!

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude