Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drastic spikes during peak production hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past 3-4 months, I have been seeing frequent drops in production to almost zero or 1-2 kw between the hours of 10 AM and 2 PM, when I have over 6-7 kw production on my 8.16 kw system. See the graph for what I mean - it has been a consistent daily trend to see these spikes. I think the last time I saw a smooth production curve was back in January. Any idea what might be causing this? I have opened a ticket with Tesla to analyze this (along with zero production last week during a 28-hour period).

Screenshot_20220418-161747_Tesla.jpg

Is this a common problem or just some units that are affected?
It is an issue. Only Tesla really knows how common it is, but my guess is not that common, as someone here reported a lone technician servicing the low coolant levels in their area. The fact that tech support doesn't go " oh, you have low coolant levels" as a first response rather supports that. My guess is that some units slipped out of the plant with low levels that were later caught in the field. It seems entirely preventable with a check weight scale, but who am I to run Tesla's production lines?

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Ramphex
It is an issue. Only Tesla really knows how common it is, but my guess is not that common, as someone here reported a lone technician servicing the low coolant levels in their area. The fact that tech support doesn't go " oh, you have low coolant levels" as a first response rather supports that. My guess is that some units slipped out of the plant with low levels that were later caught in the field. It seems entirely preventable with a check weight scale, but who am I to run Tesla's production lines?

All the best,

BG
Tesla checked the Inverter logs and told me they don't see any alerts for low coolant. They personally came and checked everything, and did not find any issue either.

For the past 3-4 months, I have been seeing frequent drops in production to almost zero or 1-2 kw between the hours of 10 AM and 2 PM, when I have over 6-7 kw production on my 8.16 kw system. See the graph for what I mean - it has been a consistent daily trend to see these spikes. I think the last time I saw a smooth production curve was back in January. Any idea what might be causing this? I have opened a ticket with Tesla to analyze this (along with zero production last week during a 28-hour period).

View attachment 795151

Update to my original issue:

1. Tesla did remote troubleshooting and could not find any issues. They told me that their Inverter alerts them or logs low coolant alerts.

2. First appointment: Tesla technician came out, checked the inverter and other installations at ground level and found no issue.

3. Second appointment: Tesla technicians came out yesterday (May 25th), went up on the roof, spent several hours checking the solar panels and connections. Found no issue. Unfortunately, my tenant who happened to be there mentioned to the technicians that their security system has been dropping Internet connections frequently. The technician noted this down in his report.

4. I contacted Tesla online support today to see what was going on with my case. They said that they found no issue with the solar equipment, but they did hear about Internet connectivity issue with the security system, and I should talk to my ISP to see if there is any Internet issue or any firewalls are blocking solar equipment.

5. I had to very politely tell the support person that TESLA is supposed to be a solid egineering company and they should troubleshoot the issue by solid engineering steps. Not speculate based on hearsay and send people on a wild goose chase. I told her that my tenant has been facing Internet issues only since March, where as the solar spikes issue has been going on since January. Also, on a couple of occasions when I had zero production for over 24 hours, my Tesla app continued to show the flow of electricity, consumption from grid, etc. which would not have been possible without Internet connectivity. Finally, the spikes issue occurs when production is above 6 KW, and usually between 11 AM and 2 PM. I assured her that my Internet connection doesn't get scared and drop when solar Production reaches 6 KW or the clock strikes 11 AM. Finally I told her that I will have to talk to someone else if she persists on pushing the Internet connectivity theory.

6. She relented and said she would escalate the issue to tier 2, who already have a large work load, and it takes 10-14 days for them to get back. I said okay, thank you.

The guys who came onsite on two different occasions to troubleshoot my issue ARE supposed to be Tier 2. So, I am not sure what will happen next with the escalation of the case to Tier 2 again. Unfortunately, we are back to where we started, and none the wiser.

My issue was incorrect wiring during install - two sets of panels tied together, so it was clipping at 3kW - clipping to 3kW or .3kW to prevent overload. Took them 10 min to fix when they finally rolled a truck out. No issues since (and hitting 3.4kW peak production now)
Thanks for the follow-up. That means you saw this issue occur from the beginning of your install? In my case, it worked fine for the first 9 months or so before it started to show this issue... They did come and check the wiring of the panels, but did not find any issues. They are coming again on June 7th. Meanwhile, I had the 4th incident of Production stopping completely at around noon (yes, same time every time). It was fixed by turning off, waiting 5 minutes and turning on the system... like I did the last 2 times!

Thanks for the follow-up. That means you saw this issue occur from the beginning of your install? In my case, it worked fine for the first 9 months or so before it started to show this issue... They did come and check the wiring of the panels, but did not find any issues. They are coming again on June 7th. Meanwhile, I had the 4th incident of Production stopping completely at around noon (yes, same time every time). It was fixed by turning off, waiting 5 minutes and turning on the system... like I did the last 2 times!
I went live in November. My panels are on either side of the roof (east/west), so until ~ March/April I never hit peak production even midday. That's when I started to see problems, increasing to nearly daily (unless cloudy) the higher the sun got.

Anyone found a solution? I have the same problem. Solar was fine for a month after install, but since then my production has been spiky. Everyday has been sunny and no clouds or shades.

Used to have a nice bubble before. The drop was because I didn't have PTO so I start to charge the cars to get production up. After a month with or without PTO, my graphs are spiky where I drop to 0.1kw and pull from the grid instead.

I have resetted my inverter multiple times already and doesn't seem to help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727_165341_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_165341_Tesla.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230727_165225_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_165225_Tesla.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: