Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone with a stock Bosal adapter take a measurement from the bottom of the bumper fascia to the inside top of the 2" receiver, as shown? I'm curious what the offset difference is, if any.

View attachment 235949

Here you go @ohmman ...

image1%202_zpsznsqa2a3.jpg

Interesting, so if I'm looking at that correctly, the stock hitch is actually higher than the Draw-Tite by about 7/8". Does that sound right? Yet another example of how eyewitness memory can be terribly wrong.. I felt certain it was lower.

Thanks much..
The Draw-Tite is definitely lower. The stock Bosal receiver opening is just a bit under 3/4 inch below the fascia lip edge. By my eye 11/16" below the lip to be more exact.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy and ohmman
Can someone with a stock Bosal adapter take a measurement from the bottom of the bumper fascia to the inside top of the 2" receiver, as shown? I'm curious what the offset difference is, if any.

View attachment 235949
This question made me really look at my hitch receiver and it looks like my measurement is about 1 1/2 inches. My receiver is very different than jamtek's as mine is not anywhere near flush with the bumper but extends several inches in back of it. Different receiver?

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy and ohmman
This question made me really look at my hitch receiver and it looks like my measurement is about 1 1/2 inches. My receiver is very different than jamtek's as mine is not anywhere near flush with the bumper but extends several inches in back of it. Different receiver?
Very interesting. That's how I remember mine being as well - it projected out past the fascia. My wife even commented this morning how it looked more tucked in.. hmm. are there two installations going around?

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy
Very interesting. That's how I remember mine being as well - it projected out past the fascia. My wife even commented this morning how it looked more tucked in.. hmm. are there two installations going around?

Very interesting! My factory hitch was installed by the Boston SC (Watertown, MA) in April.

The part numbers used are as follows:

TRAILER HITCH - NA (1027581-00-D)

TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER - NA (1027582-00-A)

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
Why would anyone buy the ECO hitch for the S @ $375 vs $139 for DRAW-TIGHT???

After seeing this I just bought a Draw-tight for our 3rd Model S...
Easy answer is that the Eco Hitch has the removable receiver, while the Draw-Tite does not. Could very well be a ground clearance issue (or aesthetic issue for some).

I need to get a hitch for my soon-arriving S85. I inquired a while ago in a thread as to if anyone had gotten the Draw-Tite and had an opinion on it. It went unanswered. Perhaps you could provide a review once you put it in? Draw-Tite Hitch?

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Xenoilphobe
Easy answer is that the Eco Hitch has the removable receiver, while the Draw-Tite does not. Could very well be a ground clearance issue (or aesthetic issue for some).

I need to get a hitch for my soon-arriving S85. I inquired a while ago in a thread as to if anyone had gotten the Draw-Tite and had an opinion on it. It went unanswered. Perhaps you could provide a review once you put it in? Draw-Tite Hitch?
Once I receive it. I will

So, for an X not originally equipped with tow package, are those 4 bolts/studs on each side already there? I would assume the 7-way plug would not be there as well or is that common harness across all Xs? Lastly, on the software side of the things, service center would still need to activate the tow mode, correct? If so, I wonder how much fuss they would put up on non-OEM installed hitch.

So, for an X not originally equipped with tow package, are those 4 bolts/studs on each side already there? I would assume the 7-way plug would not be there as well or is that common harness across all Xs? Lastly, on the software side of the things, service center would still need to activate the tow mode, correct? If so, I wonder how much fuss they would put up on non-OEM installed hitch.
Yep, they should be there. There is a bumper reinforcement panel that would be unbolted and removed. The 7-way plug won't be there, but the harness is, and you can buy the plug from the SC. The SC will activate the trailer software for a fee, but I wouldn't expect them to install the non-OEM hitch. It does look rather straightforward, so I'd wager a competent area shop would for a reasonable rate if you don't want to.

Will TESLA reimburse you for the defective unit?

Will this hitch VOID some type of TESLA warranty?

Will the open gap incur debris, causing issues with electric sensors and such?

Will TESLA be examining and repairing the standard tow package?

Have you reported to federal government the potentially unsafe rear-hitch issues you encountered?

Best,

T

Will TESLA reimburse you for the defective unit?
I'm not sure it's fair to call it defective. Perhaps used out of specification, where specification was weakly defined at the time.
Will this hitch VOID some type of TESLA warranty?
Tesla states that damage caused from towing is already not covered under warranty. I'm not sure how that would stand up to a test but it's in the manual. Therefore, seems like there's little to lose.
Will the open gap incur debris, causing issues with electric sensors and such?
Yes, and I plan to make a grommet as suggested above. Turns out you're not supposed to drive with the removable receiver atteched when not towing, either. The cover should be in place at all times when possible.
Will TESLA be examining and repairing the standard tow package?
I think they'll just be updating the specification. I already found some changes to the manual recently.
Have you reported to federal government the potentially unsafe rear-hitch issues you encountered
I prefer to work with Tesla towards more robust towing guidance. It's early in their towing learning curve.