Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Draw-Tite Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes! I was considering a hitch for our bikes, now I'm not.
Torklift has addressed the concerns and has modified the install procedure to add additional isolation. But really, we won't know how serious the issue is until they have inspected newer versions of this hitch installed in rust prone areas. I plan to take my bumper off soon to check mine and install the new isolation washers but it's been too cold for corrosion to be a big concern lately. I will post my findings when I do.

everyone needs to read this: I plan on getting a hitch myself, but be warned... Also in North America, TESLA says it voids your warranty...

Tesla Model S hitch by Torklift (3 year update): Eaten alive

Thanks for bringing this up -- I neglected to mention the additional galvanic protection that I added. I do not live in an area where salt corrosion is a problem, but I did additional work to help prevent a problem.

As to your statement about Tesla saying that it voids the warranty, I think that is incorrect. They can't do that. They can refuse to cover damage done by towing, assuming the can prove it, and they can certainly refuse to fix the damage caused by galvanic corrosion from added parts, but a blanket refusal to honor the warranty because of adding a hitch is not legal.

If you have something from Tesla stating this, please share.

Last edited:
Sorry about the filthy car!

I have not sealed around the flap that I cut as yet, but you can see that I used the template that came with the instructions, except it was in the shape of a cross and I did not cut the rear-most portion of the cross, so it was more of a "tee". I did not cut the most forward part of the "tee" to allow the hitch to come through the hole, then trimmed a small square the dimensions of the hitch tube to allow the flap to close around the hitch and re-seal the hole.
IMG_20180125_093210652 (2).jpg

IMG_20180125_093234052_HDR (2).jpg
IMG_20180125_093135750_HDR (2).jpg

Thanks for bringing this up -- I neglected to mention the additional galvanic protection that I added. I do not live in an area where salt corrosion is a problem, but I did additional work to help prevent a problem.

As to your statement about Tesla saying that it voids the warranty, I think that is incorrect. They can't do that. They can refuse to cover damage done by towing, assuming the can prove it, and they can certainly refuse to fix the damage caused by galvanic corrosion from added parts, but a blanket refusal to honor the warranty because of adding a hitch is not legal.

If you have something from Tesla stating this, please share.
I certainly don't have anything in writing, just lots of talk about it over the years...I don't see how they could legally do anything though...

This issue has been discussed in the Draw-Tite thread in the model x forum as well. The consensus was also that it is illegal for Tesla to invalidate warranty for the entire vehicle for installing a hitch. And likely that this issue was isolated to the Torklift product. I installed the Draw-Tite on my X and I plan on pulling off the bumper in the summer (about 9-10 months after install) to check things out and make sure we don't see any corrosion like this on my vehicle.....

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I had a Draw-tite hitch on my 2001 Celica GT-S for 17 years. 4 years kept outside, then 13 years mostly in a garage. Used it for bike rack and occasionally for a trailer. I never had any problems with it and when I traded that car in for my MS last December, the only rust on it was in the receiver channel (have you seen the pics of the corrosion on another poster's 3 year old Torklift hitch?) I also plan to get a hitch for the bike rack for the MS and am comfortable with the quality of the Draw-tite. YMMV.

Also in North America, TESLA says it voids your warranty...

That's not how it works. There's no such thing as a blanket 'void your warranty' There is a long history of federal law against this sort of crap that manufacturers tried and used to get away with 40 years ago.

Times have changed. If you put on a hitch, and your door handle breaks, Tesla still has to fix the door handle if within the warranty time/mileage limitations.

Did uhaul have directions for the install? What about Tesla program for towing? Is it not necessary for towing? Like to avoid Tesla charge of $600 for hitch and $600 for tow program.
This is a Model S thread. There is no "program for towing" for the Model S. Towing is not allowed on the Model S. Tesla does not sell or install hitches on a Model S.

Last edited: