Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drawing 12v from ambient lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks! I have this console RGB lights which connects to the lighter / 12v outlet in the center console. However, because I usually have Sentry mode activated, this means them too are pretty much always on. I'd much rather them to be only ON when ambient lights are on too. So my question is would it be possible to draw power from the ambient lights / footwell lights to power these lights? Or would that mess up the circuitry or something.

Hi folks! I have this console RGB lights which connects to the lighter / 12v outlet in the center console. However, because I usually have Sentry mode activated, this means them too are pretty much always on. I'd much rather them to be only ON when ambient lights are on too. So my question is would it be possible to draw power from the ambient lights / footwell lights to power these lights? Or would that mess up the circuitry or something.
Hi, did you ever get a reply to your question? I'm asking because I also have a set of these RGB lights. Thanks.

Hi both,
It is possible with a little hack / extra board.
See Youtube video linked

Youtube Short ambient light control
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your post. I've watched your video on the board via the YouTube link you shared. It's really neat solution. Can I ask, with the board all connected as you have demonstrated in your video, it was clear to me whether the ambient light cigarette lighter still needs to be plugged into the 12V socket in the center console or not?

Thanks

Hi Derek,

yes, you still need to be plugged into the cigarette lighter power (or another 12v power source)
The board switches this power on or off depending on the state of the footwell lights.

I disabled the switch on the cigarette lighter plug so as it didn't keep hitting the tray insert and switching (see my install video)

You could hide the 12v feed if you lift up the first part of the centre console to access the supply wires to the cigarette lighter socket and hide the junction (I originally thought I would do this, but decided in time that I couldn't be bothered!
Be careful lifting this panel as the key card sensor is connected to it...........

J

Reactions: Derektem