Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drawtite installs: where/how did you mount the 7pin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

buckets0fun

Aug 20, 2020
Earth
we decided to remove the bosal hitch and install a drawtite. We did this for a few reasons, first the added capacity vs the bosal. Second, we weren’t given the receiver bag with our purchase of the X. And finally due to the inability to put much of a rise on the bosal (sun 1” rise is allowed).

The issue we’ve run into now is that the drawtite doesn’t that’ve a location for the 7pin to be secured to. With the Curt bluetooth trailer brake controller it must be secured and must be level with the vehicle.

I don’t mind not using the curt and going to a prodigy, but this still leaves the need to not “go fishing” at every charge stop.

Could anyone with the drawtite class 3 (5k lb) hitch post some photos of their 7pin plug securely mounted?

-thanks

I installed it next to the removable cover.
1656135484896148279390899501964.jpg

• Love
Reactions: buckets0fun
Oh I really like this! Not sure why I didn’t think of this.

I quite love the P2, the curt Bluetooth came into our lives for rental trucks/vans/uhaul vehicles and towing. Would you be willing to share where you mounted the P2? how intrusive it is to the seating position? Have you had to “grab a fist full of trailer brake”, if so, anything would you change about your install?

Thanks everyone for the photos! I couldn’t visualize where I was going to install the plug.

Reactions: dmurphy
Oh I really like this! Not sure why I didn’t think of this.

I quite love the P2, the curt Bluetooth came into our lives for rental trucks/vans/uhaul vehicles and towing. Would you be willing to share where you mounted the P2? how intrusive it is to the seating position? Have you had to “grab a fist full of trailer brake”, if so, anything would you change about your install?

Thanks everyone for the photos! I couldn’t visualize where I was going to install the plug.

Just so happens I’m on a road trip (NJ to FL) sitting at a Supercharger right now, so was easy to snap a photo.

Here it is - the connector was tucked behind the panel to the left of my P2. Didn’t even need to remove any panels - just reached in there and grabbed it. All good! Made a pigtail with some Wago lever connectors. Simple and reliable.

Two self tappers into the plastic panel and mounting the bracket was done. Easy cheesy. Completely unobtrusive to seating. Even my wife didn’t notice it, so it’s definitely not a problem. 🤣

This thing is rock solid driving so I haven’t needed to reach for the oh-sh*t lever but it’s a bit of a stretch for sure. Pretty unconcerned about it though.

Aside from range, towing with the X is nothing short of magnificent.

766299DB-DEA2-4286-896E-65AF3C420BA1.jpeg

1853A3A2-5191-4E0D-88C0-F38081FAE5F2.jpeg

Reactions: buckets0fun
@dmurphy you rock! Thank you!

Sadly our 16ft ‘offroad’ single axle travel trailer has required, on more than one occasion, that the ‘OSL’ (oh shiz lever or button in our case) needed to be mashed in order to stop some gnarly sway. Obviously this wasn’t in the X, but a truck that weighs slightly less than the X. I’m trying to plan for the absolute worst case, assuming the SO is driving and I’m passed out in the second row.

I suppose I could open the P2, solder some leads that run to an ‘OSB’, placed within reach. Hmmmm I say hmmmmm.