Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreaded front suspension creaking sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was delivered in november 2018. I have had it in for front suspension creaking two times before and both times, they serviced the upper control arms. I checked and saw that the most recent service is the one where they goop up the top of the ball joint :(. So I get the squeeking/creaking again and finally take it in today. They replaced compression and lateral links (lower arms) but that is all. Has anyone had this experience?

They replaced:

Left Front Lower Lateral Link (and right)
LH Compliance Lower Front Suspension Link
RH Aft Lower Front Suspension Link
LH/RH Aft Lower Front Suspension Links
(sounds repetitious)

Main parts replaced are:
FR LWR LATERAL LINK ASY(1044341-00-D) -> this appears twice, I guess that they are the same part side to side?
FR LWR COMP LINK LH(1044354-00-A)
FR LWR COMP LINK RH(1044359-00-A)

Quick question as i am a new owner of a 2022 Model 3. Has this issue been fixed in the newer models, seems like alot of the people posting about the creaking control arms are older model cars where they lubed up and sealed stuff after the fact.

Has anyone tried to take off ball joint boot and add more grease? That's the direction I'm going, not really a hard thing to do.

I just used a really small grease needle to inject grease into the ball joint on my Model X yesterday. No squeak today. Going to seal the tiny hole in the boot with a little weatherstripping adhesive once I get it up to temp (I stored the adhesive in the garage for the winter ... oops.)

I just used a really small grease needle to inject grease into the ball joint on my Model X yesterday. No squeak today. Going to seal the tiny hole in the boot with a little weatherstripping adhesive once I get it up to temp (I stored the adhesive in the garage for the winter ... oops.)

Yep. No need to disassemble anything. Just use a syringe & needle to lube it up :)

Hi,
Has anyone had this 'injection needle fix' done by Tesla? What grease? What needle? Where do
you inject? How much grease do you put in - one needle full or more? Pictures? I have a 2018 Model X -
the left front has developed these creaks and groans and it is both loud and annoying.
- Jim in the PNW 2018 Model X 100D

I have a minor squeak on the passenger side, sounds like it is towards the rear of the car.
Perhaps if I need service I will bring it to their attention. Otherwise I can live with it for now.
Quick question as i am a new owner of a 2022 Model 3. Has this issue been fixed in the newer models, seems like alot of the people posting about the creaking control arms are older model cars where they lubed up and sealed stuff after the fact.
2020 Model 3 and onward uses the latest revision of the control arms, which should not typically encounter this issue. Likewise, control arm squeaks are LOUD and anyone outside of the vehicle will hear it.

For other squeaks, especially in newer models, I would double check with a chassisEAR. I had an annoying creaking noise in my car for months which I thought was coming from the rear suspension... I hooked up chassisEAR to the rear control arms and... nothing. Turns out it wasn't the suspension at all, but rather it was coming from inside the cabin at the rear seat. There's a plastic sleeve that can slip off and cause the seat to make a very annoying squeaking/creaking noise when the car is in motion, especially when it is going over bumps.

Supposedly it's a common issue on newer vehicles which most service centers aren't even aware of.

I posted the fix here:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KenC
Hi,
Has anyone had this 'injection needle fix' done by Tesla? What grease? What needle? Where do
you inject? How much grease do you put in - one needle full or more? Pictures? I have a 2018 Model X -
the left front has developed these creaks and groans and it is both loud and annoying.
- Jim in the PNW 2018 Model X 100D

Done by Tesla? No - their fix (and the correct one) is to replace the control arm altogether.

I consider the needle method a temporary fix. My service appointment got pushed back by a month waiting on parts, so I did it myself. Used some good old “red n tacky” grease in my grease gun. Just added a small needle for it I picked up at Autozone. I also used too much as it pushed some grease out of the boot, so I’ve got a cleanup job to do now that the snow has stopped and temps will be in the mid-50s today.

Given that the plan is to replace the control arm anyway, I didn’t mind doing this as a temporary measure. Not sure I could’ve taken another month of that squeaking. Like my wife said, it’s embarrassing, especially for a 6-figure vehicle.

Reactions: afadeev
OK, I get it that the control arm needs to be replaced? (I guess - they can't just grease it? Is it
really "worn out"?). So am I going to have trouble getting them to do this work or is it a simple
matter of "making a call for service"?
- Jim in the PNW

Just open the service case - it's a known issue. Tell them the front upper control arm is creaking - they'll know what that means.

Only concern may be parts availability ... we're waiting for ours to come in.

Has anyone tried to take off ball joint boot and add more grease? That's the direction I'm going, not really a hard thing to do.
Decided to lube up the ball joint before it started squeaking. Did what I inquired about and detached the upper control arm so I could lower the boot and add some grease. Once I had the car jacked up and wheel off, maybe 1/2hr each side. Not that bad.
Add yes I can confirm, there's not a lot of grease inside the boot on my 18 M3P. I also did not want to puncture the good boot with a syringe hole to add grease. Plus I'm retired and needed something to do today.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 967
Reactions: android04
I only ever heard the squeaking when it was cold out. So far, no new squeak, but, it hasn't been really cold in a while either. Now I worry that it won't get cold enough to get the squeak until after the warrantee expires. I guess we'll see. I sort of planned to replace the FUCA with aftermarket to get additional camber at some point anyway, so, I guess just wait and see.

Unfortunately, Tesla made the control arm ball joints non-replaceable or lubable, so, the only official solution is to replace the whole arm.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Upper control arm squeaking? $8 fix and 15 minutes of your time.
Watch this video, get $8 RedNTacky Grease from HomeDepot (or similar grease, read somewhere marine grease good too).
I modified the approach using an 18Gauge needle and a 10 mL syringe.
I was able to put air suspension in high and there was wide open easy access.
Injected 8 mL (seemed like the max) and it instantly fixed the problem. See the picture. I have a 2018 Model X.
Good luck!

(I donated to his PayPal, cuz this fix is just awesome!)

Attachments

• Upper Control Grease.jpg
    Upper Control Grease.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: Big Earl
Upper control arm squeaking? $8 fix and 15 minutes of your time.
Watch this video, get $8 RedNTacky Grease from HomeDepot (or similar grease, read somewhere marine grease good too).
I modified the approach using an 18Gauge needle and a 10 mL syringe.
I was able to put air suspension in high and there was wide open easy access.
Injected 8 mL (seemed like the max) and it instantly fixed the problem. See the picture. I have a 2018 Model X.
Good luck!

(I donated to his PayPal, cuz this fix is just awesome!)

Nice quick fix that should give some relief, but probably not too long. As you have mentioned, not too much grease inside that boot. I found that to be the case when I did my fix over a year ago in my posted fix. Not a 15 minute fix but my fix took about 1/2 hr each side.
The boot has a retaining ring on it. Once you remove the upper control arm, which allows the ball joint to be accessible, you can remove the retaining ring and lower the boot to add grease. There is very little white grease inside that boot and is why it starts to squeak. I was able to add enough grease and move the ball joint around to grease all areas, and slide boot back into place with a full load of grease. Then slide retaining ring over boot and re attach upper control arm.
More involved fix, but my 18 M3 still has no squeaks.
Other thing about injecting grease is that it punctures a perfect boot. I did not want to put any holes in my boots and is why I chose a different fix, but one that will probably last longer.

Nice quick fix that should give some relief, but probably not too long. As you have mentioned, not too much grease inside that boot. I found that to be the case when I did my fix over a year ago in my posted fix. Not a 15 minute fix but my fix took about 1/2 hr each side.
The boot has a retaining ring on it. Once you remove the upper control arm, which allows the ball joint to be accessible, you can remove the retaining ring and lower the boot to add grease. There is very little white grease inside that boot and is why it starts to squeak. I was able to add enough grease and move the ball joint around to grease all areas, and slide boot back into place with a full load of grease. Then slide retaining ring over boot and re attach upper control arm.
More involved fix, but my 18 M3 still has no squeaks.
Other thing about injecting grease is that it punctures a perfect boot. I did not want to put any holes in my boots and is why I chose a different fix, but one that will probably last longer.
I’ve regreased my passenger’s side twice now. Still going strong after 100,000+ miles since Tesla replaced it the first time. I consider this to be a semi regular maintenance item that will extend the life of the joint indefinitely.

I would recommend the Valvoline Full Synthetic Moly Fortified Grey Grease for a lifetime satisfaction. I used it to lubricate the squeaky pulley bearings on my Mercedes using a hypodermic needle and it has not squeaked now for over 3 years now.