TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dreaded "Vehicle may not restart" error

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by untilcomplete, Jul 16, 2020.

1. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Model 3 AWD, VIN 56XXX, started giving me an error around July 9th. Made an appointment via the app. Tesla remotely looked at the logs and said it was outside the capabilities of Mobile Service and rescheduled service for July 16th. Unfortunately the car died while I was at work July 15th.

Ordered roadside assistance via the app and they dispatched a tow truck within 10 mins. Car was on a tow truck in about an hour from the time I sent in the request. Tesla texted me once they received the car and will let me know what they find out.

This is the first serious issued I've had with the car and glad Tesla is making it really easy so far (fingers crossed).

Unfortunately I did have to open the rear door while the car was dead so the window scratched the chrome trim. A good excuse to get it wrapped I guess.

I will keep this post updated in case people start seeing this error come up.

BMS_a151_SW_external

Vehicle may not restart

Service is required

VCFRONT_a192

Electrical system power reduced

Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly

BMS_a035_SW

Vehicle may not restart

Service is required

• Informative x 1
  2. TexanEV

TexanEV Member

Howd you open the rear door?

3. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

It still opened for me even though the car had no power.

4. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

With the errors starting on the 9th it sounds like a 12V battery issue. How old is the car?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Yup, I think so, too.

My crystal ball says that either the 12v battery is faulty, or something is amiss in the 12v battery charging system. Hopefully, it'll be as easy as swapping in a new 12v battery.

But then again, my crystal ball is old and cloudy. ;)

Edit: "BMS" stands for "Battery Management System," FWIW.

• Like x 1
  6. bbell

bbell Member

I am starting to think the 12V battery is quite the Achilles' heel in the car.

Hopefully this can get rectified at some point either by software (to give a better warning) or a new battery/charging system design.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  7. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Two years old now. Doing some research online, some people said it has to do with the rear drive unit. My 12V definitely did die right before it was towed but not one of the original errors.

8. jimmym1981

jimmym1981 Member

Agreed. My worst nightmare is the wife driving home late and this happening. If I ever get the warning, I am driving straight to the SC to have it changed right away. Not waiting for an appointment.

• Helpful x 1
  9. smatthew

smatthew Member

Not a bad idea. They should be able to take care of you right away. Swapping a 12V battery is pretty quick.

10. jimmym1981

jimmym1981 Member

I mean it has to be cheaper as well for them to do on the spot than pay for a tow and Uber Credits until they can get to it.

• Like x 2
  11. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Tesla reviewed the logs prior to setting up an appt at the service center. Originally had mobile service but Tesla said it had to be brought in. I’m thinking they would’ve just replaced my 12v battery via mobile service if that was the issue.

12. RichAZ/CapeCod

Not a Tesla owner yet. Is there a reason you can't replace a Tesla 12v battery with any appropriate sized battery locally purchased??

Rich

• Like x 2
  13. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

No reason. You absolutely can. It is becoming an issue now so most owners are getting it replaced under warranty if the vehicle gives them the 12v error.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Gasaraki

Gasaraki Member

If you can find one that's that small and a deep cycle one. You can buy aftermarket ones online but in a store, don't really know.

• Helpful x 3
  15. bbell

bbell Member

I am really considering the lithium replacement 12v battery once I am out of warranty. Might cost more but in the long run it's probably worth it.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. jimmym1981

jimmym1981 Member

Just note in a cold climate, the lithium is an Achilles heel.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. texas_star_TM3

$440 and in cold weather lithium sucks and no longterm experience yet how well that aftermarket lithium battery handles deep discharge cycles. The original 12v battery in the Tesla can be bought online for less than $150 and most owners should get 3 yrs out of it or more.

• Informative x 2
  18. Johhey

Johhey Member

Does one access the 12v via the frunk?

19. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Yes. Just need to take off a small access panel.

20. Mattopotamus

Mattopotamus Member

That is also my plan in the event I get the 12v message, just drive straight to a SC.

• Like x 1