Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreaded "Vehicle may not restart" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 AWD, VIN 56XXX, started giving me an error around July 9th. Made an appointment via the app. Tesla remotely looked at the logs and said it was outside the capabilities of Mobile Service and rescheduled service for July 16th. Unfortunately the car died while I was at work July 15th.

Ordered roadside assistance via the app and they dispatched a tow truck within 10 mins. Car was on a tow truck in about an hour from the time I sent in the request. Tesla texted me once they received the car and will let me know what they find out.

This is the first serious issued I've had with the car and glad Tesla is making it really easy so far (fingers crossed).

Unfortunately I did have to open the rear door while the car was dead so the window scratched the chrome trim. A good excuse to get it wrapped I guess.

I will keep this post updated in case people start seeing this error come up.

BMS_a151_SW_external

Vehicle may not restart

Service is required

VCFRONT_a192

Electrical system power reduced

Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly

BMS_a035_SW

Vehicle may not restart

Service is required

With the errors starting on the 9th it sounds like a 12V battery issue. How old is the car?
Yup, I think so, too.

My crystal ball says that either the 12v battery is faulty, or something is amiss in the 12v battery charging system. Hopefully, it'll be as easy as swapping in a new 12v battery.

But then again, my crystal ball is old and cloudy. ;)

Edit: "BMS" stands for "Battery Management System," FWIW.

Reactions: untilcomplete
I am starting to think the 12V battery is quite the Achilles' heel in the car.

Hopefully this can get rectified at some point either by software (to give a better warning) or a new battery/charging system design.
Agreed. My worst nightmare is the wife driving home late and this happening. If I ever get the warning, I am driving straight to the SC to have it changed right away. Not waiting for an appointment.

I am really considering the lithium replacement 12v battery once I am out of warranty. Might cost more but in the long run it's probably worth it.

$440 and in cold weather lithium sucks and no longterm experience yet how well that aftermarket lithium battery handles deep discharge cycles. The original 12v battery in the Tesla can be bought online for less than $150 and most owners should get 3 yrs out of it or more.