Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreaded "Vehicle may not restart" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
update. Tesla shop put in a new updated current drive unit in one day. (one day!) Signs point to a random failure in the inverter and they will send the unit back to Freemont for examination. They also flushed the coolant, washed, and vacuumed the little beauty. No paperwork. It drives great, maybe better than before. I guess the analogy would be a short in your coil packs. I freaking LOVE Tesla service. Thank you Tesla. :)

There has to be a solution for this 12V failure. It’s a big deal if you can’t get into the car (example: you get out and close your driver door and leave ur baby/pet in want to get in but can’t because battery failed). This has lawsuit all over it.
These OEM lead acid batteries usually last 2 years. It’s when most people start getting that message, what’s crazy is that in a normal ICE car they last 4 to 5 years and they are exposed to engine heat. Could be cheap batteries. For this reason and weight reduction I went with the Ohmus battery.

Fred

update. Tesla shop put in a new updated current drive unit in one day. (one day!) Signs point to a random failure in the inverter and they will send the unit back to Freemont for examination. They also flushed the coolant, washed, and vacuumed the little beauty. No paperwork. It drives great, maybe better than before. I guess the analogy would be a short in your coil packs. I freaking LOVE Tesla service. Thank you Tesla. :)
Great that they were able to take care of this quickly for you. Not trying to stir up the rats nest but just curious if they replaced your DU with a 980 (as your DU should’ve been a 980) or 990 and/or is there any way to tell?

• Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
Agreed. My worst nightmare is the wife driving home late and this happening. If I ever get the warning, I am driving straight to the SC to have it changed right away. Not waiting for an appointment.

A dead battery can happen at the worst times too. Years ago my husband was working really late at work and went out to his car to come home (an ICE back then) and battery was dead (nothing had been left on to drain it and it had started fine when he went to work that day). Try getting road assistance in the early, early a.m. It was winter too in the mid-west as I recall and cold waiting for a tow truck to show up to try jumping the battery. Recall he had to buy a battery from AAA to get going.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be some more advanced alerts than what we're seeing given to drivers of an imminent issue.

My 3 is an 88xxx version and so will curious to follow OP's resolution.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be some more advanced alerts than what we're seeing given to drivers of an imminent issue.

There absolutely was advanced notice. The car gave me the "Car may not restart" error last week. Earliest appointment was 7 days later. I still needed to drive the car and almost made it to the appointment but finally "died" on me on the 6th day.

I am confused. How is it that mobile service couldn't come out and replace a battery. Is this more involved than in an ICE vehicle? Maybe I'm missing something other than they might have been booked out too far to do it before the car died. I can understand once the car couldn't start it might then be something that SvC had to handle, but I would think given the alert it would be something that mobile should have given priority to handle sooner than later over other scheduled appointments for let's say replacing AC filters.

I am confused. How is it that mobile service couldn't come out and replace a battery. Is this more involved than in an ICE vehicle? Maybe I'm missing something other than they might have been booked out too far to do it before the car died. I can understand once the car couldn't start it might then be something that SvC had to handle, but I would think given the alert it would be something that mobile should have given priority to handle sooner than later over other scheduled appointments for let's say replacing AC filters.

I am not sure why people keep thinking this is a 12V battery issue. It is not. AFAIK, this error requires a drive unit replacement as Pipestream has experienced.

Sorry didn't see where you posted it was definitely the drive unit.
I’m confused too. I don’t believe @untilcomplete ever posted the final update. However @pipestem chimed in (with an update) that his vehicle had the DU replaced. So, my question about the DU model number is actually to @untilcomplete (since he has an AWD, I think) and not to @pipestem (unless he also has an AWD?).

I’m confused too. I don’t believe @untilcomplete ever posted the final update. However @pipestem chimed in (with an update) that his vehicle had the DU replaced. So, my question about the DU model number is actually to @untilcomplete (since he has an AWD, I think) and not to @pipestem (unless he also has an AWD?).
I took a picture of my RDU to compare in case they do swap it out. I will update once they return my vehicle.

Reactions: C141medic
Great that they were able to take care of this quickly for you. Not trying to stir up the rats nest but just curious if they replaced your DU with a 980 (as your DU should’ve been a 980) or 990 and/or is there any way to tell?

IDK. They told me the newest unit with all updates. The invoice might show but it’s not in my account page yet.

IDK. They told me the newest unit with all updates. The invoice might show but it’s not in my account page yet.
Was just curious which DU they were replacing failed drive units with. From my understanding the original 980’s (rear DU) are more capable and if I’m not mistaken we’re on all AWD models until 2019? Reference thread: 980 vs 990 motor settled

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Was just curious which DU they were replacing failed drive units with. From my understanding the original 980’s (rear DU) are more capable and if I’m not mistaken we’re on all AWD models until 2019? Reference thread: 980 vs 990 motor settled

I'm really curious about this myself. The 980s might be more capable, but are they more prone to failure? Or did they update it over time?

When this warning shows up, do you guys think there are a certain number of miles left before the RDU dies? Or is it a certain amount of time? This trend is really heating up on TMC.
No matter how good Tesla roadside service is, when I get this warning I don't want to continue driving it. There's a big difference between the check engine light coming on in an ICE and these disturbing warnings!

Does anyone know if the health of the battery can be checked by the SC? Even though I haven't gotten any warning messages, my car is 2 years old. Furthermore, people here have reported that their batteries have died with no warning. It would be nice to know if your battery was near the end of its life or not. Perhaps, its cranking power could be checked like with ICE cars, even though the battery in a M3 doesn't crank.

When this warning shows up, do you guys think there are a certain number of miles left before the RDU dies? Or is it a certain amount of time? This trend is really heating up on TMC.
No matter how good Tesla roadside service is, when I get this warning I don't want to continue driving it. There's a big difference between the check engine light coming on in an ICE and these disturbing warnings!

I drove it for two or three more weeks. I believe I got the notification 3 times. Service was delayed a week while Raleigh shop moved to a new location. All I know is the service manager was proactively eager to get the work done. Really, they treated me great.

Reactions: untilcomplete